Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student help

Options
  • 17-04-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

im 22 turning 23 in july, does this mean im classed as a mature student when applying for the cao?

il be 23 when i enter college so am i considered a mature student?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You need to be 23 years or older by the 1st January on the year of admission. So you would have to wait until next year to apply as a mature student.

http://www.cao.ie/help_files/mature_help.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Larianne wrote: »
    You need to be 23 years or older by the 1st January on the year of admission. So you would have to wait until next year to apply as a mature student.

http://www.cao.ie/help_files/mature_help.htm

ye thanks for that, im just wondering do you know what actual entitlements i would lose out on because im not a mature student?

will i be eligible for the same grant as a mature student, in other words what extra benefits would a mature student get vs a normal student?

sorry to ask so many questions but i taught i would be classed as a mature student because im 23 in the college year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sineadoc

As far as I know, you won't lose any benefits... the only thing is that if you are applying as a mature student you will have a different path for admission. Your leaving cert results won't be considered for admission. They will ask you to sit MSAP test (assesment of your written English and logical reasoning skills) and they will look at your personal motivations and experience (there will be interview for some courses and some of them are specifically designed for mature student only).
    Apart from that till last year if you were a mature student you would automatically get the non adjacent rate of student grants, but from this year they've changed that... so there should be no difference for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

sineadoc wrote: »
    As far as I know, you won't lose any benefits... the only thing is that if you are applying as a mature student you will have a different path for admission. Your leaving cert results won't be considered for admission. They will ask you to sit MSAP test (assesment of your written English and logical reasoning skills) and they will look at your personal motivations and experience (there will be interview for some courses and some of them are specifically designed for mature student only).
    Apart from that till last year if you were a mature student you would automatically get the non adjacent rate of student grants, but from this year they've changed that... so there should be no difference for you...

thanks , i read today though that they access on your parents income which is a bit of a joke considering il be 23 in july aswell as living in my own place since i was 19, how they can actually have the right to test an adult on his parents income is beyond a joke.

il apply anyway and see what the story is but if it comes to me losing out on tousands il just wait til the following year because i couldnt afford it with all the travelling and expenses.

thanks for the help

Advertisement