Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette butts from apartment above thrown onto my balcony

Options
  • 17-04-2011 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am living in a ground floor apartment but I have an annoying issue that someone from one of the apartments above is throwing their cigarette butts onto my balcony. It means in a normal week I have about 15-20 butts to clear away from my balcony, which I find disgusting and ignorant.

What would be the best way to deal with this? I do not know the exact guilty apartment as there are a few floors above mine. I was thinking to leave a note in the doorway of the block asking the person to stop or to contact the management company to complain (i'm the owner of the apartment). Has anyone dealt with this before?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Call your Management Agent first thing in the morning and ask them to include it in a notice to all units in your block. Technically the balcony is common property so they should be cleaning it up and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

athtrasna wrote: »
    Technically the balcony is common property so they should be cleaning it up and not you.

I think you've misread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A neighbour of mine had a similar problem, but worked out which unit was dropping the butts.

Once she did, she collected an amount in a bag, brought it up to them, handed them the rubbish and told them to stop littering her balcony.

Needless to say, it didn't happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Find the culprit

Sweep them up and dump them in their postbox

mathie wrote: »
    I think you've misread.

I based my reply on the thread title where the OP said their balcony was being littered...but was referring to the patio..also MC property. Same rules apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you do find them OP, I'd try just asking them nicely to stop.

Hardly worth the aggro of dumping them back on their doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

If you get 15 or 20 butts a day then they are a frequent smoker. Just stand across from where the baclonies are some day and wait till they come out for a smoke. Then ask them to buy an ashtray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭bath handle

It is not necessary to register with the Prtb because a room is not a dwelling and only leases of dwellings have to be registered. There may be issues with your personal tax liability however.

It is not necessary to register with the Prtb because a room is not a dwelling and only leases of dwellings have to be registered. There may be issues with your personal tax liability however.

Wrong thread perhaps?

Advertisement