Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York City Marathon 6/11/2011

Options
  • 17-04-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Can't find a thread out there for this event,so am starting one off.Apologies if there is one there already, and can someone direct me to it if there is!
    Have applied for the lottery of this today. It definitely is an expensive one but it's always been a dream of mine to do this marathon so think it would be well worth it.Am way off the guaranteed entry ladies time so fingers crossed with the lottery.
    Has anyone else applied for this or planning on running it through guaranteed entry?
    Think the eleven dollar process fee is a bit of a scam...unless I get accepted in which case I won't mind:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Its a hit and miss with the lottery, you might be lucky and get in first time or you might have to enter three years in row and get in that way. If you do get in and you can't make it first time around, you can defer but they charge you for that also.
    Its expensive to enter and NY ain't a cheap place to stay but worth it imo. Some boardsies did it last year
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862146&page=11

Krusty clown wrote up an excellent race report of his experience last year - which summed it up for me.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68943992&postcount=2442

Its a tough course and can be hard enough to get a pb, what makes it is the support and amazing organisation, its like a carnival atmosphere from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I applied thru the lottery. 2nd year trying, be great to get it this year.

Dont mind the 11 dollar fee as you know you will get in for sure on your 4th attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

groovyg wrote: »
    I

Krusty clown wrote up an excellent race report of his experience last year - which summed it up for me.
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68943992&postcount=2442

Its a tough course and can be hard enough to get a pb, what makes it is the support and amazing organisation, its like a carnival atmosphere from start to finish.

Krusty's report of it is great. Sounds like some experience! Very early start by the sounds of it!!
    I know you were saying not to expect a PB on it. Have only run Dublin before. Would like to improve on my time there. With the same fitness level is that not realistic for NY? Would the tougher course add on much more time in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks! :)

I would certainly include some rolling hills in your training. they're not like Connemara hills, but there are more of them and a tough drag up to central park at the finish, which on a hot day could be a killer. It's a very enjoyable course. If you're chasing your second marathon, then you should have no problem PB'ing again, as long as you get the training in. If you had run a number of marathons and were chasing a specific time target, like sub4, sub3:30, sub3, or something similar, you would want to make sure that you can run a couple of minutes faster than your target, just to account for the ups and downs over the bridges.

Thanks for advice Krusty. I do quite a bit of mountain running so will up my training in the hills if I do get a place out of the lottery.Waiting game now I guess:D

• Advertisement

Dont mind the 11 dollar fee as you know you will get in for sure on your 4th attempt

Yeah hopefully you get it, specially since it's your second year applying!If I don't get it this year, think I'll do Dublin again in October. It's a good time of year for a marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

I'm in with a qualifying time. Not sure if I will make the trip or go for Dublin instead. I'd like to do London next yr but am just shy the qualifying time so Dublin might be a better alternative for me.:eek:

I suppose we have time on our hands:rolleyes:

Pronator wrote: »
    I'm in with a qualifying time. Not sure if I will make the trip or go for Dublin instead. I'd like to do London next yr but am just shy the qualifying time so Dublin might be a better alternative for me.:eek:

Why not do both? Target Dublin as your qualifier for London and use NY as your cool down :rolleyes:

Didn't get accepted, ah well:rolleyes: Did you get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

No luck for me either. Helsinki marathon in August is my potential replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

No luck for me. At least I know I be there in 2 years time for sure. Now for figure out what marathon to do between september and november?

Any good ideas? Dublin is the old reliable but something different maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Pronator wrote: »

I'm also in on GFA time. Having run Dublin and spectated NY, Dublin is the easier course (not that I found it "easy"!), plus if you are in Ireland you avoid the stress of traveling. I have been told by someone who made the podium in NY to run hills ar the end of LSRs.

Is that really it in terms of numbers from here or is it too far out for people to focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I got in through the lottery, absolutely chuffed! Now, just have to get back to training after I get rid of a dose of tonsillitis...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

I got the Big red card email there too, Cue Sad face. . . . . :(

racheljev wrote: »
    I got in through the lottery, absolutely chuffed! Now, just have to get back to training after I get rid of a dose of tonsillitis...

Well done!!! Knew it was a long shot as it was my first time applying,but still had my hopes up:rolleyes: You'd probably want to get onto booking flights/accomodation soon enough!

Any good ideas? Dublin is the old reliable but something different maybe?

If you check out the below link, there are some great ones. Berlin would have been a good one, but registration is closed. One I've always thought would be great is the Frech Riviera Nice-Cannes marathon. That's in November.

http://www.marathonguide.com/races/races.cfm?place=intl

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

I am in :) (after the 3rd year of applying through the lottery system!!!). Looking forward to this now...

Anyone doing NY. You can now choose your transportation options and time to the start. It's on a first come first server basis so if you have a preference best get in early. Bit of a surprise as they used to just assign people to a method and time IIRC. Depends on where you start from but all other things being equal the ferry is the popular choice.

Had a look at the options yesterday - the hotel we're in is at 34th and Lexington so I think I'll get the bus from New York Public Library, which doesn't seem too far from the hotel? Not sure because it'll be my first New York trip - so excited already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Best bit of advice with regards getting to the start I could give is to use the Staten Island Ferry.
    They won't check your bib either so you can change plans at last minute.
    I got a lift with a friend to the port in Manhattan and jumped on the first ferry there around 7:30-8am, loads of buses on other side to with minimal delays.

Avoid the midtown buses if you can folks.

• Advertisement

racheljev wrote: »
    Had a look at the options yesterday - the hotel we're in is at 34th and Lexington so I think I'll get the bus from New York Public Library, which doesn't seem too far from the hotel? Not sure because it'll be my first New York trip - so excited already!

NY Public Library is 42nd and 5th so you are close enough to walk. For the ferry you need to either take a cab (my recommendation ) or jump the #6 subway to 14th St and change to the #4 to Bowling Green and the ferry terminal is a short walk. My bet would be that you would be able to simply "follow the crowd".

The advantage of the ferry is that it is a much more pleasant ride, You are inside in the ferry terminal most of the time, there are bathrooms on the ferry (albeit with long lines). The bus also has long lines and take longer (so I am told anyway).

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated. Off to book my place on the ferry :)

They won't check your bib either ....

Dunno ... they started this new thing at the NY Half this year where they gave people wristbands that you had to put on at the expo and keep on until the race was over - seriously annoying - so they are making efforts to tighten up. Don't know if they will do this for the full but it looked like a trial run to me. It's unlikely they would stop anyone getting on the ferry but it is not a chance I'd take.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Freaked out....Didnt get in...maybe next year.

Best of luck to you all who did get in.

I did it through a charity in 2008 - amazing experience...desperatley want to do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

I'm successfully entered into this - through a charity. Really excited about it but also a bit nervous as my last marathon was in '08.
    Krusty clown's race report is excellent - sounds like an early start so I would be a tad worried about when to have breakfast and getting enough of it on the morning of the marathon. Anyway... less than 6 months to go - woohoo!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I'm successfully entered into this - through a charity. Really excited about it but also a bit nervous as my last marathon was in '08.
    Krusty clown's race report is excellent - sounds like an early start so I would be a tad worried about when to have breakfast and getting enough of it on the morning of the marathon. Anyway... less than 6 months to go - woohoo!:eek:
    Hi daveboy, thanks for the kind words. Don't worry too much about the early start. If you are coming from a European time-zone, a 4am start in New York is actually a pretty reasonable 8am based on your body-clock, so if you get an early night (e.g. 6pm NY time) you'll feel nice and refreshed at 4am, having enjoyed a typical Irish night's sleep. Locals (like pgmcpq) are screwed though. :)

Another consideration is that if you are having breakfast at 4am, you'll likely need to eat again before the race starts, but there are lots of food stalls providing free bagels, coffee, fruit, wooly hats, etc.

. Locals (like pgmcpq) are screwed though. :).

Ehhh ... thanks for that - very reassuring :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Second refusal this year. Really want to do this sooner rather than waiting for enough refusals, Does anybody have any pointers for good charity entry options?

Also what happens after 3 refusals? Do you automatically get an invitation the next year?
    Cheers

You might be lucky next year, if you enter three years in a row you are guaranteed an entry on the next attempt. There are lots of charity places but good luck with raising the money, think you have to raise about 5 grand.
    You could also go with sports travel international
    http://web.me.com/conorohagan2/STI/Home.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 orlesm

Hi there, Im running the NY Marathon in November and need to really start training. Does anyone have any good training schedules or is there anyone that wants a partner to run in the evenings with in the Dundrum area. My goal is just to finish the marathon.

Advertisement