Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licence question???

Options
  • 17-04-2011 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I had a 9mm pistol up to nov 2008 and then sold it.
    The guy that bought it couldn't get a licence and it's been in storage ever since?
    Could i re-apply for that pistol under the new legislation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Well the Firearms Applications form asks whether or not you've had a license for the gun within the last three years, so I'm guessing yes you can apply before November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

that's what i was thinking too;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Well the Firearms Applications form asks whether or not you've had a license for the gun within the last three years, ...........

The FCA1 is only an application form, and was used for re-applications/renewals when the new system was introduced, and will be used for re-applications/renewals when the 3 years are up hence the bit about "have you held a license for this firearm in the previous 3 years".

However you are most likely right in that you could, technically, apply. The stipulations for having a restricted C/F pistol license are you must have held a license for that particular firearm on or before he 18th of November 2008. The fact that you are no longer licensed could be an issue, but as no-one has been licensed on it since you could claim it was in storage and as you previously held a license you may be one of the unique few that could get licensed for it.

You can simply state, with your FCA1/in your interview, that you stored the firearm for the purpose of selling, however with the introduction of the CJ(MP)A 2009 and Aherns statement in the Dail on the 19th of November, that you could no longer sell the firearm and now wish to re-license the firearm.

You have a strong enough caase and are uniquely entitled to apply.(IMO)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

xesse wrote: »
    I had a 9mm pistol up to nov 2008 and then sold it.
    The guy that bought it couldn't get a licence and it's been in storage ever since?
    Could i re-apply for that pistol under the new legislation

Go for it!
    Nothing to lose, and it all to gain!
    Many gave up Centrefire Pistols and now regret doing so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.......Many gave up Centrefire Pistols and now regret doing so

I did and I don't :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I did and I don't :)

Theres always 1 :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Theres always 1 :P:P

And it's usually me :):)

And it's usually me :):)

You are teh exception that proves the rule on all things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The law only states that you must hae held a license for a restricted short firearm before November 2008 in order to be able to apply for another one

as you held a license before then you are within your rights

will be up to your chSup whether they subscribe to the 'blanket ban' or not

give it a lash - what's the harm

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just to clarify, the law actually states that you must have held a licence for the specific pistol you are seeking to licence before Nov 2008. If you had a licence for a Sig before then, you can reapply for a licence for that exact pistol; not any other pistol even if it's the same make and model.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the law actually states that you must have held a licence for the specific pistol you are seeking to licence before Nov 2008. If you had a licence for a Sig before then, you can reapply for a licence for that exact pistol; not any other pistol even if it's the same make and model.

He is applying for a Pistol he already owned AFAIK

(for the same reasons I am stuck with my Glock for Ever or until Shatters changes the SI.)

Advertisement