Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for getting a barrel threaded?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Lads i am looking at buying a second hand CZ 452, the one im looking at isnt threaded for a moderator. I got an estimate of 90euro to get it threaded, is this about right or am i being taken the piss out of. Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers, Duffyer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Never got one done, but for that price I would want the barrel recrowned aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Sounds about right... who gave you the quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

A shop in lexlip Cg hobbies. The lads were sound in there but i just wanted to check with a few people before i do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I got my Anschutz .22Lr threaded about 2 years ago in Waterford and thats what I paid then aswell, so at least it hasnt gone up with inflation !

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

Where are you located

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭ssl

RFD charged me €60 in Lucan for cz 513. The gunsmith managed to save most of the front sight too. There was a delay inthe RFD getting it back from the smith so he threw in 2 boxes of Elay subs

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

Trapper john in roscommon is €50
    There is also a guy in monaghan who does it for €30/40

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

Just make sure you get it done right there are a lot of cowboy jobs being done at the minute in engineering shops around the country.
    Pay the extra if needs be to get a proper job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What I've found with gun shops is that if you buy a moderator off them threading will cost in around €50. If you don't it tends to cost nearer €100.

If it was me, and it was not so long ago. I'd bring it to Fergal White. Why? Peace of mind. You know 100% sure it's not been sent to the local machine shop by the dealer who WON'T tell you who's done/doing it.

I asked a dealer one time who'd thread the rifle if I got them to do it, got a very short reply to that question :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

johngalway wrote: »
    What I've found with gun shops is that if you buy a moderator off them threading will cost in around €50. If you don't it tends to cost nearer €100.

If it was me, and it was not so long ago. I'd bring it to Fergal White. Why? Peace of mind. You know 100% sure it's not been sent to the local machine shop by the dealer who WON'T tell you who's done/doing it.

I asked a dealer one time who'd thread the rifle if I got them to do it, got a very short reply to that question :rolleyes:

I've got something similar to report. Got my .22 threaded & got a thread protector made too for 90 bob. Wasn't told who was doing it- just a lad in.......
    Took it with me to a different dealers when i was buying my new rifle to see if he'd trade, he took 1 look & correctly told me where it had been threaded. He brought out a rifle he'd got back from <snip> & showed me the difference in the two.
    Don't get me wrong the .22 isn't a bad job but when you see <snip> work you can see why he charges what he does & got the rep he has.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

duffyer wrote: »
    Lads i am looking at buying a second hand CZ 452, the one im looking at isnt threaded for a moderator. I got an estimate of 90euro to get it threaded, is this about right or am i being taken the piss out of. Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers, Duffyer

i just picked up my cz on friday. i got it shortened by the length of my sack moderator and 11deg target crown and treaded it makes a lovely job of the rifle
    i only got a chance to fire 10 rounds threw it to check 0 on scope and it is bang on.
    i will post a full review next week.

i got it done in Atlantic shooting and fishing in carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

hey poulo who does the work for them or they do it themselves?any chance of telling how much it cost as i was thinking of doing the same to mine.pm if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

bazza888 wrote: »
    hey poulo who does the work for them or they do it themselves?any chance of telling how much it cost as i was thinking of doing the same to mine.pm if you like

cant say exactly as i bought a load of stuff at the same time. i will check with sean on tuesday as they are closed tomorrow.
    he has a lad with a c&c machine that does it for them. i will reserve any comment on how it is till i test it properly but very happy with how it looks and feels now and like i said it was bang on with the 10 rounds i fired so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

If you are getting it threaded, get it crowned as well.
    Normally a gunsmith will do it all at once for the same money as your rifle is already in the jig.

If you are near the midlands I'd go to Fergal.
    The reason I can say so is he did 2 thread job and recrowns and a Target crown for me and I am very happy with the job.

If you book it in advance he can do it while you wait a lot of the time.
    Give a weeks notice though so he can clear a slot.

I can't speak for other gunsmiths, but I have seen some awful DIY thread jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I used to thread for an RFD and charged €30 a pop for a basic job. More if he wanted the front sight kept on it and modified. As the RFD has to strip the gun down and reassemble afterwards, around €60 total doesn't seem unreasonable. As some one posted above, watch out for the cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭duffyer

Thanks for the comments lads,

Advertisement