Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic/Garage Blanchardstown area

Options
  • 17-04-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Blanchardstown/Clonsilla Area for a woman driver please?
    I have an 11 year old car and it needs a couple of jobs done to pass the ntc. Money is tight so I don't want to be screwed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I recommend Coolmine Motors in Coolmine Industrial Estate. I do high mileage and have had 3 or 4 services in the last couple of years, plus replacement brake pads and I've always found them very friendly and reasonable. I got a service on Saturday and the car passed its NCT today so I'm happy with the service provided. :)

http://www.coolminemotors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

@ pheonix1234 Sadly you’re not going to be spoiled for choice, as there aren’t many non-main dealer mechanics in D.15. A lot/most are in housing estates where lads have a corner house or the room to convert to a garage at the side of the house.

I used SM Motors up the laneway across from Bridgits church a lot. After that I wouldn’t touch quick fit in coolmine or ellis pointon just up from Bridgits church (both I have my own bad experiences with). Most of those all in one tyre/service etc can be bad news, the old stack em high sell em cheap service, get the car in and done and get the next one in asap.

@Bobblehead Panda Where abouts are they in the estate? I know there`s a big motor place you can see from the side of power city, I think they used to be in a much smaller unit at the back of the estate, is that them? I don’t want to use the term boy racer, but you know one of those places with the alloys, big exhausts, radios etc.

Im looking around for service options soon, im thinking back to the main dealer, but then im thinking they will be silly money.

jeffk wrote: »
    @Bobblehead Panda Where abouts are they in the estate? I know there`s a big motor place you can see from the side of power city, I think they used to be in a much smaller unit at the back of the estate, is that them? I don’t want to use the term boy racer, but you know one of those places with the alloys, big exhausts, radios etc.

Around the back of where Darios is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I used SM Motors up the laneway across from Bridgits church a lot.

I use these for my car and van and I am happy with the workmanship.

Around the back of where Darios is.

Is it a small place(like you walk in and theres the stairs), where the buildings are side on(if that makes sense).

• Advertisement

No, no stairs and I wouldn't say it's that small. It's an open garage that's in a kind of square where they park the cars. If you drive into where Darios is and turn right and then left and then left again it's on the left there.

No, no stairs and I wouldn't say it's that small. It's an open garage that's in a kind of square where they park the cars. If you drive into where Darios is and turn right and then left and then left again it's on the left there.

That sounds like the place, they are at the back facing the railings.

IF its the same place id recommend them also. I went up with no keys to take out a radio in a car I bought and they took it out for me without charging or trying to sell me the keys.

Yup that's the place.

Well then id recommend them, the fella(id assume owner) was terrible nice, wouldn't even take money to get a drink or smokes for taking out the radio.

Ill have to drop up to them and get a quote for the service so!

Did Sean himself do the work or did his helper do you know?

Sean usually.

• Advertisement

joolsveer wrote: »
    Sean usually.

I prefer it myself when Sean does it, the helper is good but I like Sean himself to make sure its all done ok before I get it back.

I live near Sean so I like to keep my business local.

Im the same myself, keep the local workers in work, plus Seans a nice fella!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I use discount tyres & auto in Rosemount Industrial Estate and can't recommend them enough. They are very decent and explain and give you options at every stage. Won't rip you off.

I went out this morning and priced the servicing.

Coolmine Motors wanted €130 and had to be pushed to give me a small piece of information on what they do.

Discount Tyre + Auto Services charge €135 and you can see a full list on their site of what they do http://www.discounttyres.ie/servicing.html

I went with Discount Tyre + Auto Services as the fella at the counter seemed far more interested in my custom.

I didn’t like the owner in Coolmine Motors strolling out with his hands in his pockets and I had to ask him who he was before I got the quote. Also they want me to leave my car there before one and it will be ready after two, saying it takes two to three hours to do the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

True there's lots of different types of service....

Oh an update either in relation to my recommendation based on the keys for the radio.
    Either coolmine motors have changed owners or i was thinking of the pro parts place thats moved to a much larger place in the industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I have had my last three cars serviced by Ellis Poynton motors at St Brigids park.

I see one of the early comments mentioned a bad experience but what bad experience? You need to be specific when speaking good or bad of anything or anyone. It's not fair on anyone to comment without specifics.

Of the last three cars, two of them were serviced for the NCT but also I have had some general services and repairs carried out.
    Not only does Ellis sort your car, he will take the time to explain what he did, shows you what he took out and gives you advice.

In any business one thing we are all advised on is to note the day to day business that goes on and I tihnk anyone who is familiar will tell you that Ellis Poynton is always, always busy. that is a sign in it's self.

Liam Keating of Liam Keating's bus hire in Blanchardstown is a company i have regular dealings with and they only service their vehicles in Ellis Poyntons.

I have always booked my car in and then car was always available at the end of the day.

PRICE: He doesn't operate bargain basement prices and charges a modest fee. As far as I am concerned he is excellent value and a trustworthy local business that has operated successfully for many years.

PS: Where do all the insurance companies get their assessments done? Yep, Ellis Poynton. ;)

My bad experience was: I was backing out of his yard and barely tipped a car he had more or less dumped beside the entrance. I wasn’t driving long so I made a mess of it; Ellis comes out roaring what am I doing and shouting you made enough noise doing it.

Then he was talking down to me making me feel like dirt and saying that cars going to cost hundreds to fix. He makes me go into the cabin/office and he made me sign a liability thing and i did as I was panicking.

Ellis wouldn't give me the owners number so I could sort it out with him, he told me hell get the owner to ring me. Low and behold about three days later around 6 at night, the “owner” of the car rang me and wanted over €500 to fix the tip. I told him I can’t afford that and to go through my insurance and I never heard any more back.

I was only driving a few months and that slightly put me off driving and put me off reversing for ages.

Plus ive another horror story, but that’s a legal issue and not mine to tell.

My bad experience was: I was backing out of his yard and barely tipped a car he had more or less dumped beside the entrance. I wasn’t driving long so I made a mess of it; Ellis comes out roaring what am I doing and shouting you made enough noise doing it.

Then he was talking down to me making me feel like dirt and saying that cars going to cost hundreds to fix. He makes me go into the cabin/office and he made me sign a liability thing and i did as I was panicking.

Ellis wouldn't give me the owners number so I could sort it out with him, he told me hell get the owner to ring me. Low and behold about three days later around 6 at night, the “owner” of the car rang me and wanted over €500 to fix the tip. I told him I can’t afford that and to go through my insurance and I never heard any more back.

I was only driving a few months and that slightly put me off driving and put me off reversing for ages.

Plus ive another horror story, but that’s a legal issue and not mine to tell.

HHHmmm, I DUMP my car outside the entrance too when getting it serviced and so too do many drivers as the cars are queued up for service, usually from 8am. Perhaps the driver/owner was the person who dumped it there?

I've never heard him speak in a bad tone ever so I'm sorry to hear that, my experience has been all positive.

I have to say from what you wrote, you were at fault based on the above and I don't want to offend. You hit a hazard and one of the first lessons in driving is to pay attention to all hazards. I can understand your predicament and I can also understand the predicament of the business having a car hit. Catch 22 and like allot of these accidents, no one wins.

I'd say the business did what it had to do and covered its self from responsibility.

I'd say you were more careful in future :D

• Advertisement

HHHmmm, I DUMP my car outside the entrance too when getting it serviced and so too do many drivers as the cars are queued up for service, usually from 8am. Perhaps the driver/owner was the person who dumped it there?

I've never heard him speak in a bad tone ever so I'm sorry to hear that, my experience has been all positive.

I have to say from what you wrote, you were at fault based on the above and I don't want to offend. You hit a hazard and one of the first lessons in driving is to pay attention to all hazards. I can understand your predicament and I can also understand the predicament of the business having a car hit. Catch 22 and like allot of these accidents, no one wins.

I'd say the business did what it had to do and covered its self from responsibility.

I'd say you were more careful in future :D

Do these cars have flat tyres and look like they haven’t been moved in ages? It was the middle of the day and he was quiet and he has his yard and the road outside, so he doesn’t need to be leaving cars right on the entrance. I don’t know who they were, as I said he wouldn’t let me ring and them and got thick when I asked about it.

Well the other story I have has had Ellis play hard ball and use the same attitude. But I suppose if you’re going in and out and giving anyone hundreds of Euro of work they will be sweet to you.

No not @ all, I knew I was at fault, that’s why I wanted the driver’s number to sort it out with them. What I didn’t need Ellis roaring and shouting and treating me like I was a child that needed to be taught a lesson and be made go into the cabin and sign a legally binding form in a panic. Well I can blame the lack of reversing skills to Airport for not teaching me to reverse in ten hours of lessons. I agree, but his manner and telling a panicking driver he’s going to pay hundreds for a scratch on paint doesn’t help anyone.

I’m sure they did, but it seems a bit strange the owner took two-three days to ring me back and then didn’t do it till late at night. If that was me and I dropped a car in to be fixed and the mechanic rang me and told me my car got damaged, I’d be on the phone straight away. Plus seems strange how he didn’t follow up the hundreds of Euro of damage I caused.
    I am indeed, seven years no claims now tip wood!

Again as I say we all have good and back experience with all things we buy, be it mechanical or just going to buy a paper. The main thing is that people take all sides into consideration and also shop around on prices.

Do these cars have flat tyres and look like they haven’t been moved in ages? It was the middle of the day and he was quiet and he has his yard and the road outside, so he doesn’t need to be leaving cars right on the entrance. I don’t know who they were, as I said he wouldn’t let me ring and them and got thick when I asked about it.

Well the other story I have has had Ellis play hard ball and use the same attitude. But I suppose if you’re going in and out and giving anyone hundreds of Euro of work they will be sweet to you.

No not @ all, I knew I was at fault, that’s why I wanted the driver’s number to sort it out with them. What I didn’t need Ellis roaring and shouting and treating me like I was a child that needed to be taught a lesson and be made go into the cabin and sign a legally binding form in a panic. Well I can blame the lack of reversing skills to Airport for not teaching me to reverse in ten hours of lessons. I agree, but his manner and telling a panicking driver he’s going to pay hundreds for a scratch on paint doesn’t help anyone.

I’m sure they did, but it seems a bit strange the owner took two-three days to ring me back and then didn’t do it till late at night. If that was me and I dropped a car in to be fixed and the mechanic rang me and told me my car got damaged, I’d be on the phone straight away. Plus seems strange how he didn’t follow up the hundreds of Euro of damage I caused.
    I am indeed, seven years no claims now tip wood!

Again as I say we all have good and back experience with all things we buy, be it mechanical or just going to buy a paper. The main thing is that people take all sides into consideration and also shop around on prices.

Good response. I believe you may be referring to the elder Ellis.

You will find I am referring to his son, also named Ellis and he is not old school.

He runs an extremely good operation and runs the business. Maybe you were unlucky to deal with the older generation :)

Good response. I believe you may be referring to the elder Ellis.

You will find I am referring to his son, also named Ellis and he is not old school.

He runs an extremely good operation and runs the business. Maybe you were unlucky to deal with the older generation :)

AH right then I base my non recommendation on the elder Ellis to be fair to the son.

You could be right, sadly its easy to say feck Ellis Pointion because of the dad and then the son takes over and is left with his legacy shall we say.

AH right then I base my non recommendation on the elder Ellis to be fair to the son.

You could be right, sadly its easy to say feck Ellis Pointion because of the dad and then the son takes over and is left with his legacy shall we say.

True enough. He is the real deal. The business he does is indicative of that and is always busy.

I left my car in with Discount Tyre + Auto Services this morning at 8.30 and just got a call back on the car. They checked it all over told me about some rust on the brakes but they will be OK and that the pollen filler will need to be changed.

All in for the service, wiper blades back and front, pollen filter, check over and a cash wash it came to €180. Seems fair enough and they didn’t use the rust as an excuse to push new brakes onto me. It will be ready to collect around lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Righteousman

Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Blanchardstown/Clonsilla Area for a woman driver please?
    I have an 11 year old car and it needs a couple of jobs done to pass the ntc. Money is tight so I don't want to be screwed.

I RECOMMEND PERSONALLY ALEX AUTO SERVICE IN DAMASTOWN. THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL PEOPLE, TELLS YOU EXACTLY YOUR CAR ISSUE. I THOUGHT MY SKODA EXHAUST PROBLEM WONT GET FIXED ANYMORE AFTER COMING FROM COOLMINE MOTORS BLANCHARDSTOWN, GLOBAL AUTO MULHUDDART WHO SAID I JUST HAVE TO PUT MY BELOVED CAR IN DONEDEAL ADS.

Advertisement