Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MA Child, Family & Community Studies @ DIT

Options
  • 17-04-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I was just hoping to find someone who has or is doing this masters programme at DIT? Basically I want to know if it's the right way for me to go as I really don't have time to waste regards education/careers! I hold a 2.1 BA in English and Soc&Pol (Sociology&Political Science) from NUIG.. Ideally I would have loved to have gone into social work as a postgraduate but having missed the application deadlines, and without the required work experience, that isn't really possible for me - I can't wait around for another year! I graduated last year, after having a baby just before my final exams, so this year has really just gone by in a blur without me really sitting down and deciding what to do with my life! I know that along with this masters I can also apply for the parallel professional practice strand which assuming I get in, I would then graduate from DIT with both the masters and a BA in social care - however I'm not altogether sure what good that would prove to me? Is social care a viable career path for a 21 year old who doesn't have the luxury of time to wait around for things to pick up here? And also would these degrees translate internationally? I'm so confused about what to do! Sorry for waffling on..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hi,

I was just hoping to find someone who has or is doing this masters programme at DIT? Basically I want to know if it's the right way for me to go as I really don't have time to waste regards education/careers! I hold a 2.1 BA in English and Soc&Pol (Sociology&Political Science) from NUIG.. Ideally I would have loved to have gone into social work as a postgraduate but having missed the application deadlines, and without the required work experience, that isn't really possible for me - I can't wait around for another year! I graduated last year, after having a baby just before my final exams, so this year has really just gone by in a blur without me really sitting down and deciding what to do with my life! I know that along with this masters I can also apply for the parallel professional practice strand which assuming I get in, I would then graduate from DIT with both the masters and a BA in social care - however I'm not altogether sure what good that would prove to me? Is social care a viable career path for a 21 year old who doesn't have the luxury of time to wait around for things to pick up here? And also would these degrees translate internationally? I'm so confused about what to do! Sorry for waffling on..

Recession or no recession there will always be jobs in social care. Saying that, I've been working in the social care sector for the last five years and I do not have any qualification in social care.
    Many of the people I know who did social care degree'sare now working as care assistant in residential settings, something which they they didn't really need much qualifications for.

If social work is what you really want to do, then why don't you wait another year, and build up a bit of volunteer and work experience to try and get into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GalwayGirl0710

Thanks for your reply panda100.. I just don't know what to do.. waiting around for another year to get back to college feels a bit daunting as I feel as though I have completely wasted the past year! And it would also mean that I wouldn't get out of college until 2014.. which would conflict with mine and my partner's plans to add to the family before our son turns three.. I guess I'll just have to decide whether my career or expanding the family come first!!

And also I suppose I don't really know all that much about the field of social care and how far it reaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 orla201

Hi,

I know this thread is a little old but I was just wondering if you applied for the M.A in Child Family and Community studies in D.I.T??

I'm also being drawn to social care at the moment. I finished an arts degree in English and Human Development in 2008. Took a study break but quickly found myself stuck in a rut working in a local newsagents. Two and a half years flew by and I felt I really had to get off my ass and get back to college!

But unfortunately at the time I had missed most of the deadlines for the postgraduate programs I was interested in. So I signed up for a one year postgraduate certificate in childhood and youth studies from the Open University online.

I'm finishing this course in May and am really interested in the M.A from D.I.T. The only thing is I'm not sure if I will be qualified in anything if I did this M.A?? As my primary degree isn't in social care. You mentioned a parallel course for a B.A in social care. What's this about? I'd love to do this M.A even for personal achievement but if I can't apply for youth work or social work jobs after it is there a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

A post I made in a different in the DIT Forum with regard to this course:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83036362#post83036362

Check it out if you think you'd be interested in heading to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sarahjane226

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping to get updated answer.

I'm interested in going back part-time to do the masters, currently working full time for HSE.

Can anyone give me information on This? I'd be interested to know about:
    Workload
    Timetable / times of classes
    Career prospects after
    How did you find the course?

Also any advice :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement