Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cheapest place (Dublin) to buy 6mm T&E/SWA/NYY/NYM?

Options
  • 17-04-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭

I am looking for approx 100m of 3 core 6mm cable. The wholesalers in Phibsborough have T&E for about €1.30 a meter and SWA for €3.60. They don’t supply any other types of cable in 6mm. CPC have 50m of 6mm SWA for €126.
    It is to supply a number of 32a sockets in a warehouse, mainly running along existing cable trays and ducts etc. so SWA is not a requirement, electrician is happy to use T&E, but I would prefer to use NYM/NYYJ as it is more robust, if I can get it at a good price.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

100 mtrs of 3x 6sq nym will cost appox 240 euro plus vat. 3x6 sq swa will cot apporx 261 euro plus vat for 100 mts. i would have thought that most wholesalers could get the 3x6 nym because they nearly all buy from the same suppliers. if ye have any further difficulty in getting it gimme a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bestirishspark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Id prefer 6 square stranded cables myself. Is the NYM-J 6 square solid?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Id prefer 6 square stranded cables myself. Is the NYM-J 6 square solid?

yep...the nym is a solid core.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

That 6sq solid core is hard stuff to terminate

• Advertisement

A pain in the back side it is. Stranded has better connections as well, and likely higher capacity.

do you have to use lugs with the stranded stuff or are they only for panel flex

Stranded cables like t&e have 7 strands, so we usually just twist them a bit tighter and maybe double them back. 2.5 t&e is solid usually. But any bigger is stranded.

For the flex type wiring, like what silflex has, ferules can be used into terminals to get a better connection on the very fine multi strands, as they dont stay good and solid when twisted like the 7 strand cores will.

Advertisement