Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a UWA

• 17-04-2011 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a UWA, my 20-40 has been playing up a bit, and will cost a minimum of €60 to fix, I didn't pay a whole lot more than that. And the only issue if it's stuck at f/2.8. I'd only use it higher that that for landscapes and things.

I've always noticed it's not as wide as I'd like so I thought( as it's my birthday shortly ) I might consider and look into an UWA(Ultra wide angle). Problem is I've a 1DMKII with an APS-H (1.3 crop) so I'm not entirely sure what works well and what doesn't.

So anybody have any ideas? I know there's a good few on here with 1D series so hopefully someone has already done this.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

17-40L on the 1d still works great, you can go to a 12-24 if that floats your boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I really love my 16-35mm lens. It's just great and it's nice and wide too.

Well worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Thanks for the replies! I'd be kind of aiming for a max of €400( Wasn't long ago I could picked up a 17-40 + p&p for that! :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I bought mine second hand for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got the older version of the tokina 12-24mm for €380 i think - that was just after the new version came out, which has an in-lens focus motor; mine is the one without. nikon mount.

• Advertisement

What in the name of Jaysus is a UWA? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What in the name of Jaysus is a UWA? :confused:

UWA = ultra Wide Angle

So, 10mm on a 1.6x crop, 16mm on a full-frame, etc.

Paulw wrote: »
    UWA = ultra Wide Angle

So, 10mm on a 1.6x crop, 16mm on a full-frame, etc.

I know :( I figured it out just as I made that post, and when I pressed edit to change it and make myself look smart, Firefox crashed and took an age to re-open again :(

Though, is there a set focal length to differentiate between ultra-wide and just wide?

Advertisement