Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THe Celt Bar, talbot Street

Options
  • 17-04-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what kind of pub is this. It seems to be Oirishy and devoid of any Irish people save the bar staff. It gets good reviews from its touristy clientle for whom it seems designed or is it a home away from home for non Dubs?

its beside the Bon Crubeen, but are they owned by the same crowd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

It gets a mix of people, there is a large amount of tourists but a good share of what looks like regulars. (Any time I was there) I have no idea if its a homeaway from home for non Dubs. Try the Big Tree or Coppers? :P
    AFAIK The Celt and Le Bon Crubeen are owned/run by the same crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It gets a mix of people, there is a large amount of tourists but a good share of what looks like regulars. (Any time I was there) I have no idea if its a homeaway from home for non Dubs. Try the Big Tree or Coppers? :P

they own the celtic lodge b&b as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

the only Irish customers I ever saw in there were a couple of oul lads, who recording to the Celts propaganda will regal you will tales of Irish legends. Maybe they are actors, employed by the pub? They will also inform you that the Celt is what is known as Irish Craic, reinforced by the Ceol agus Craic slogan on the polos of the barstaff.

interesting to hear that The Bon Crubeen is linked to it. both places are mad busy and in both places the staff have been known to be a little short tempered with customers, though it could be an Irish thing. Foreign staff tend to be more welcoming than the native Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Have never had any problems there, mostly go to LBC for food. found the staff to be very nice all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

This is a great pub, meet tourists and Dubliners in there all the time. If looks like a tourist pub but it doesn't feel like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

I used to go there once a week with my Italian friends - many of the foreigners are regulars and it's mentioned in some of the guide books which explains why so many tourists stop off there.

nice bar - usually a decent crowd at the weekends with lots of banter but yes it is a bit fake and geared towards the tourists. I've never had any problems with the staff there or seen anything bad from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I go to le bon crubeen a lot and the staff are very friendly and the service is very good so have no complaints, the pub is nice also and there is usually a mix of tourists and local crowd in there. the music (together with the birds - yes birds (the flying type), there are two) sometimes get a bit loud, but otherwise it's a cosy spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Fuinseog wrote: »
    what kind of pub is this. It seems to be Oirishy and devoid of any Irish people save the bar staff. It gets good reviews from its touristy clientle for whom it seems designed or is it a home away from home for non Dubs?

its beside the Bon Crubeen, but are they owned by the same crowd?

Used to drink there a lot a few years ago, got the impression they would rather have the foreign customers before the Irish custom...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

cltt97 wrote: »
    I go to le bon crubeen a lot and the staff are very friendly and the service is very good so have no complaints, the pub is nice also and there is usually a mix of tourists and local crowd in there. the music (together with the birds - yes birds (the flying type), there are two) sometimes get a bit loud, but otherwise it's a cosy spot.

In fairness I was only in LBC once and it was grand.

a bit loud is an understatement. massive speakers for such a small pub is inappropriate. The mike can be gammy and the lyrics often come across as distorted.

I notice they have a lot of IRA stuff on the walls, not just the usual paddywhack stuff, but one or two provo things as well as Corsican Liberation Flag and ETA flag. Maybe thats whats expected of an Oirish pub?

it can't he healthy for the birds in the cage. while it is unique they can very little rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I notice they have a lot of IRA stuff on the walls, not just the usual paddywhack stuff, but one or two provo things as well as Corsican Liberation Flag and ETA flag. Maybe thats whats expected of an Oirish pub? QUOTE]

The owner has a bit of a backround when it comes to all that crap...He should move on..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

JosDel wrote: »
    I notice they have a lot of IRA stuff on the walls, not just the usual paddywhack stuff, but one or two provo things as well as Corsican Liberation Flag and ETA flag. Maybe thats whats expected of an Oirish pub? QUOTE]

The owner has a bit of a backround when it comes to all that crap...He should move on..

nahh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:D:D:D kip of the highest order:eek:

Advertisement