Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ-45 on motherboard not capable of taking a connection?

• 17-04-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've a feeling that this is either going to be an easy fix, or I'm completely miscontruing something.

Trying to connect my PC to a vodafone modem via ethernet. The modem/line is operable, the laptop I'm posting this via is connected wirelessly, as is the xbox etc.

However, nothing seems to be coming down the ethernet to the pc.

The wizard says there's no network card or hardware when I run it. When I try a manual connection I get an error:769 destination unavailable.

So, do I need to buy and install a network card? I don't think I have the pci room is the thing, with the gfx card and usb extension things are pretty tight.

Or is there a way to "enable" the rj45 on the motherboard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Are the drivers for the network adapter installed? You don't say what OS your using but go to Control Panel->Device Manager and check if the drivers for your network adapter are installed. If there is a yellow exclamation mark beside it then they're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

There isn't a network adapter that I can see. Ethernet controller unerring other devices section has a yellow q mark.
    Is that any use?

Edit: Ran Belarc just to get a full rundown. No network drives discovered.

Edit2: And on checking, I've found the drivers for the Realtek integrated drive. Sorry for being stupid.

Edit3: And... It's working. :D Cheers oisin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i actually had one on a mates laptop a while back where there was an RJ11 & RJ45 port on the laptop, but the RJ45 was totally dead.

it turned out that the motherboard didn't have ethernet onboard, but that it was an optional extra as a combo mini-pci card that you could have either a modem, ethernet or both depending on what card was used and when the guy bought it he didn't even know he would need it on the laptop so didn't even ask about it.

ended up having to get a USB to ethernet dongle to get around it, it was a bit of a PITA tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, sounds like it. Got mine sorted anyway. Guess I forgot to install drivers when I put it together. First time I've needed the rj45. Was using mobile midband dongles before.

Advertisement