Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones and surrounds emigrants

Options
  • 17-04-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Interesting to see how many overseas G'stones people actually look at this site. I'm in the caribbean 2 1/2 yrs now and also had to emigrate in the 80s. if your overseas or have family overseas that have lived or are local post a comment/where you/they are etc so we get an idea of the extent of the current downturn on the population

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

grew up around gstones but in new zealand now the last 1yr frequently pop in to see whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

From Greystones now living in France. Drop in very regularly to see what's going on. I'm especially concerned about the harbour development - was opposed (horrified) but silent as living away. Just hope it will work out. Maybe you'll get away with just getting new piers and none of the apartments!! Photos (espec but not only John (pixbyjohn)) and updates are much appreciated. Great to know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Was in Charlesland, now in Mayo and v soon to be in Toronto Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

I emigrated 8 years ago during the supposed "Boom" times as I was none too impressed by the standard of living Ireland was providing me without going into massive debt. Live in New York City and get home once or twice a year as time allows. I've been astonished by the transformation of our once sleepy village into a town. Obviously the development of Charlesland was the most striking addition. Now even the suburbs have suburbs :) There has been a lot of improvement, it's great to see the influx of eateries on the main street once dominated by the Cherry Blossom, Jokers, Vino Pasta and the Hungry Monk. I do enjoy having other dining options when I visit home. It was sad to see many of the small business wiped out by Tesco - Vegetable shop, butchers, etc. but in the years I've been gone there has been a noticeable resurgence led by locals like the Flynn boys at the Happy Pair and the Willises with Cavistons.

Amenities were always good in Greystones but now they are superb. The new playing pitches, skatepark and swimming pool would have been beyond my wildest dreams as a kid. I was gobsmacked when I first walked into Shoreline.

On the flipside I am utterly disgusted to see the shambles that is the LaTouche Hotel, undoubtedly the finest building in the town allowed to become a ruin by the poor judgment and greed that raped Ireland. Likewise the harbour I said it when the original plans were put in place that before it would be finished the bottom would fall out of the market and Greystones would be left with a construction site. Thankfully the bubble lasted just long enough for the majority of work to be done and not long enough for the hideous apartments to be built. I can only hope that the next time I'm home I can stroll around the seafront and come to a working harbour without hoardings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Sagat, you might like to take a look at this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719277&page=45

I hope we have those hoardings down by your next visit. You can join in here http://on.fb.me/greystones and maybe add your voice...
    sagat2 wrote: »
    I emigrated 8 years ago during the supposed "Boom" times as I was none too impressed by the standard of living Ireland was providing me without going into massive debt. Live in New York City and get home once or twice a year as time allows. I've been astonished by the transformation of our once sleepy village into a town. Obviously the development of Charlesland was the most striking addition. Now even the suburbs have suburbs :) There has been a lot of improvement, it's great to see the influx of eateries on the main street once dominated by the Cherry Blossom, Jokers, Vino Pasta and the Hungry Monk. I do enjoy having other dining options when I visit home. It was sad to see many of the small business wiped out by Tesco - Vegetable shop, butchers, etc. but in the years I've been gone there has been a noticeable resurgence led by locals like the Flynn boys at the Happy Pair and the Willises with Cavistons.

Amenities were always good in Greystones but now they are superb. The new playing pitches, skatepark and swimming pool would have been beyond my wildest dreams as a kid. I was gobsmacked when I first walked into Shoreline.

On the flipside I am utterly disgusted to see the shambles that is the LaTouche Hotel, undoubtedly the finest building in the town allowed to become a ruin by the poor judgment and greed that raped Ireland. Likewise the harbour I said it when the original plans were put in place that before it would be finished the bottom would fall out of the market and Greystones would be left with a construction site. Thankfully the bubble lasted just long enough for the majority of work to be done and not long enough for the hideous apartments to be built. I can only hope that the next time I'm home I can stroll around the seafront and come to a working harbour without hoardings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement