Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masking a yacht

• 17-04-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

doing a guy a favour and anti fouling his yacht on tuesday. Done numerous other boats before but they have al been work boats or ribs or the like. No fancy yachts yet (been boating half my life). It needs to look right at the end of it all unlike the others which are roughed around the place and not really seen any way.

As I've said, I've a good bit of experience with it all but my biggest issue is masking taping the water line. Any tips on how to get it straight and look well?

I don't know if there is a hull stripe just above the water line or not.

What do you think? long pieces of tape or short? just go with it and when I stand back it will look good, or be extremely picky about minor discrepancies very close up?

Any tips welcome.

oh, and she's 43' built in the last 7 years so big and modern enough!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi alexlyons, if you can get the boat as level as posable and then use a laser level and make a mark every few feet and then join the marks using blue 2"masking tape as it comes off better and holds a straight line better. Another way to do it is to measure from the rub rail down at the same distance on each side and if you don't want it level you can start moving up from midship to the bow to follow the shape of the boat.
    If there is no water line you will have to mark it in the water with a waterproof marker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

cheers fergal.
    It has already been anti fouled before so there should be a line already there. I suppose I need to just do it carefully. The measuring idea sounds good which I might use.
    I guess its just an element of unknown as I've never done it and don't want to look like an idiot when I'm meant to be able to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I've used masking tape to follow the current anti foul line. I find applying the tape in short overlapping lengths to work best.

And of course for a smooth finish you'll need to sand the last coat of anti foul down.

Advertisement