Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking radiator valves

• 17-04-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

I have a number of leaking radiator valves, the ones that control the flow through the rads. The problem is on three valves at the moment. It seems that near the top of the valve, around the 'yoke' that you turn to control the flow, there is a leak. I took the valve apart to see if there was a washer that needed replacing but there is no washer. So I don't know how to sort the problem. Do I need to replace the valves, ten or so years old or can they be repaired. The water is quite hard but I have installed a water softener about 18 months ago.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Best off to just replace the valves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

joeirish wrote: »
    I have a number of leaking radiator valves, the ones that control the flow through the rads. The problem is on three valves at the moment. It seems that near the top of the valve, around the 'yoke' that you turn to control the flow, there is a leak. I took the valve apart to see if there was a washer that needed replacing but there is no washer. So I don't know how to sort the problem. Do I need to replace the valves, ten or so years old or can they be repaired. The water is quite hard but I have installed a water softener about 18 months ago.

Thanks

If you mean that the water is leaking out around the valve stem and dripping on the floor, then simply tighten up the gland - the hexagonal nut on top of the valve. Even in hard water areas the system shouldn't be scaling and stopping the valves. It doesn't get continually topped up. I have experience of systems that are much, much older than yours, but the valves have only leaked out around the stems.

Advertisement