Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article on homebirths

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Interesting read...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/16/home-birth-trial-or-rewarding

Im having my first shortly and havent considered a homebirth for this one, but would like to think I would have a choice in the future.

Is this bit true?

"in the Republic of Ireland, the nursing and midwifery bill currently going through the Dáil will criminalise any midwife who doesn't take a woman to hospital 24 hours after her waters have broken, even though this can happen up to 12 hours before contractions begin and the labour might be proceeding well, requiring no medical intervention."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Once the waters break there is risk of infection, they are thinking of the welfare of the baby and mother.

Better safe than sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

First 2 of mine were homebirth and the next due in Oct is also planned to be a homebirth.

Its not for everyone, but we and the children are so blessed to have the opportunity to birth at home

And there is no way we'd take the journey to Hospital if the 24hrs have elapsed and labour is progressing. Utter madness. :mad:
    How can taking a journey during a progressing labour deemed to be the better option?
    Fine if labour is stalled...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

After 24 hours the Midwife has to give up care to the hospital and if the mother refuses to transfer the hospital can notify the Gardai. A woman is less likely to get an infection in her own home than in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

SanFran07 wrote: »
    After 24 hours the Midwife has to give up care to the hospital and if the mother refuses to transfer the hospital can notify the Gardai. A woman is less likely to get an infection in her own home than in hospital.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? I mean, I know the superbugs are going around the hospital (MRSA etc) but isn't the risk of uterine infection different to the risk of a superbug and if you're in hospital is more easily treatable than at home?

Mum is immune to the 'bugs' in her own home and she won't be having routine (2 hourly) vaginal exams which can introduce infection. And as you mentioned she's less likely to come into contact with MRSA, Staph or Ecoli infections at home.

ETA (I never answered your question!) Yes if a Mum does have an infection then IV antibiotics in hospital would be recommended but her risk of getting an infection to begin with would be lower if she was at home.

• Advertisement

IV antibiotics were given to me, no infection present, but my waters broke at home 5 hours earlier. Think its protocol if waters break before one reaches hospital, to be put on IV antibiotics.

Out of curiosity what bugs are mums immune from in their own home?

That's quite unusual to be given antibiotics when the waters have only released for 5 hours.

Antibiotics are usually only given if you are StrepB + , showing a temperature or waters have been released for over 18 hours. Over use of antibiotics can leave newborns open to other antibiotic resistant infections so it's quite controversial.

He arrived 5 weeks premature would that have been the reason for IV antibiotics?

no StrepB+

Yes - definitely for preterm labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

SanFran07 wrote: »
    if the mother refuses to transfer the hospital can notify the Gardai.
    I can't help but picture this scene.....:o
    Garda: I'm sorry mam, but I insist that you get out of that pool and proceed to hospital immediately
    Mother just after contraction: would you put down those cuffs and rub my back, its killing me....

I hope that common sense would prevent that type of situation.
    While my experience of midwifes is limited to one and hearsay of others, the welfare of the mother and child is priority.
    I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the bill which is currently going through the Dáil, but the lack of common sense in this
    will criminalise any midwife who doesn't take a woman to hospital 24 hours after her waters have broken,
    I find utterly amazing. Why bring in something that cannot be policed? My common sense tells me that the time of waters breaking will noted to comply with whatever laws are in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement