Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4yr Old Critical After Incident In Leisurland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Aw, that's terrible:(

Hope the little one is okay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

"Two lifeguards came to his aid and efforts to resuscitate the boy continued for more than half an hour."

They must have revived him if he's "critical", so well done to those involved. Hope he pulls through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My thoughts are with him and his family. Hope he turns out OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

According to Galway Advertiser's Facebook page:

"The little lad who was critical after the Leisureland incident is now sitting up and talking, we believe. Great news."

...great news! :)

Wonder who was negligent.

Easy to say the lifeguards but seeing as the child was 4, the parent/s probably strolled off somewhere :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Wonder who was negligent.

Easy to say the lifeguards but seeing as the child was 4, the parent/s probably strolled off somewhere :mad:
    How do you know anyone was negligent? do you know the details of the accident?

From what i can see, leisureland has a great record for a pool that has literally thousands of kids in and out of it each week.

Sometimes accidents happen and it's nobodys fault.

btw I am in no way connected to leisureland

McTigs wrote: »
    How do you know anyone was negligent? do you know the details of the accident?

From what i can see, leisureland has a great record for a pool that has literally thousands of kids in and out of it each week.

Sometimes accidents happen and it's nobodys fault.

btw I am in no way connected to leisureland

And do you know the details?.... :rolleyes:

Yes but you're talking about a 4 year old child in a swimming pool.

If the parent was with the child the whole time then I doubt it would have got in difficulty.
    It's next to impossible to drown in the baby pool which is where a four year old should be(and supervised), So it more then likely happened in one of the adult pools.

And where did I blame Leisureland?..... I said naturally it's easier to think the Lifeguards were daydreaming but when your talking about a small child the responsibility falls on the parent.

I've seen enough bad parents in my life to know that most are too laxie daisy, I suppose when that child fell out the window off Eyre Sq it was just an accident :rolleyes:

If the parent was with the child the whole time then I doubt it would have got in difficulty.
    It's next to impossible to drown in the baby pool which is where a four year old should be(and supervised), So it more then likely happened in one of the adult pools.

And where did I blame Leisureland?..... I said naturally it's easier to think the Lifeguards were daydreaming but when your talking about a small child the responsibility falls on the parent.

I've seen enough bad parents in my life to know that most are too laxie daisy, I suppose when that child fell out the window off Eyre Sq it was just an accident :rolleyes:
    no i don't know the details, that's why i'm not passing judgement on anyone, not the lifegaurds and not the parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Parents/Guardian's fault if they were there.
    Leisureland's fault if the child managed to get in without someone of a suitable age with them (have to have someone over 18ish) Kid would have been turned away or Lifeguard should spot the child and have him taken out if noone suitable looking after him in the water.
    Great to hear he is well but I also feel very sorry for lifeguards ~ they are usually pretty young so I'd say they are fairly traumatised too.
    In saying that, something like that happening will help to make sure it doesn't happen again hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why should a 4 year old be in a baby pool? :confused:

• Advertisement

no i don't know the details, that's why i'm not passing judgement on anyone, not the lifegaurds and not the parents.

For the second time I never passed judgement on the lifeguards. :rolleyes:

Why should a 4 year old be in a baby pool? :confused:

Because in Swimming terms a 4 year old would be a baby?.... taught that was common knowledge.

Have you seen the depth of the next pool after the baby one?.... it would be above your waist when your 8-12(last time I was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Parents were not there. Took almost half an hour to find them. Lifeguards did a great job but was very busy at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Because in Swimming terms a 4 year old would be a baby?.... taught that was common knowledge.

Have you seen the depth of the next pool after the baby one?.... it would be above your waist when your 8-12(last time I was there).
    ''Swimming Terms''?

Well it wasn't common knowledge when I went swimming as a child, especially when I went with my primary school and we were all jumping in the deep end, I wouldn't have been much older than 4. And this was an Olympic pool so the deep end was 5m.

''Swimming Terms''?

Well it wasn't common knowledge when I went swimming as a child, especially when I went with my primary school and we were all jumping in the deep end, I wouldn't have been much older than 4. And this was an Olympic pool so the deep end was 5m.
    Disgraceful!

Did you also jump out of windows in Eyre Square?

Parents were not there. Took almost half an hour to find them. Lifeguards did a great job but was very busy at the time.
    Disgraceful!

Did you also jump out of windows in Eyre Square?

Amazing how you didn't quote that person who proved you were wrong. ;)

As for the second part..... It's not even worth replying too.
    Makes you come across like a 4 year old yourself as it's a petty, unfunny remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18956-investigations-launched-child-saved-pool -- Investigations launched as child saved from pool

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

You people are whats wrong with the internet. Petty bickering...ffs

I wish the child a speedy and complete recovery. Fair play to those lifeguards trying to save the child, must have been traumatising.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

I have heard that the lifeguards spent between 10 to 30 minutes reviving the child and that he was not breathing when they started it.

If that's true, and he is now fully ok, it's actually a miracle that the child has survived without brain damage.

I'm trained in CPR myself, but no amount of training could prepare you for the scenario the staff faced in Leisureland faced on Sunday.

After that, bickering about whose fault it was or how the response was organised seems so immaterial.

It's a miraculous rescue and one everyone should be grateful for.

If the same thing had happened in a private hotel pool with no lifeguards, then we'd be talking about a fatality here instead of bickering over whether or not parents were responsible .... bickering by people who were not even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

When I was 5 I was swimming widths of the big pool, when I was 6 I was swimming lengths. Are you saying I should have been in the baby pool??

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    When I was 5 I was swimming widths of the big pool, when I was 6 I was swimming lengths. Are you saying I should have been in the baby pool??

As I've already said, there's a bit of a difference in those age groups. Mentally and Physically.

My point was a 4 year old should have been supervised

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Great news! Christ it's amazing the way stories spread, only yesterday I heard that Life Support etc. was switched off.

Great to hear the little fella is on his feet again, his parents can owe his life to the Life Gaurds, regardless whether they were at fault or not; they saved his life.

In my own opinion, life guards are not babysitters and the childs parents/siblings should be keeping a close eye on him.

Great news, hopefully he'll be back swimming or learning how to swim in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Stop talking nonsence. Were you there when it happened? Cos I was and it didnt take half an hour to find them, the father was there and saw the whole thing.
    Serious fair play to the lifeguards, they saved that kids life

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wishes of a speedy recovery to the boy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement