Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Download Batch of Photographs

• 17-04-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi I am making a photo mosaic maker for my final year project in computing and I am finding it quite hard to find somewhere to download a large number of photographs in one go. I can find plenty places to download them individually but as I will need around 1000 at least that would take some time. I have been able to find a large collection of beer mats and then a large collection of paintings but I really want a collection of photographs. Just wondering if there is anywhere that anybody knows where I can download about 1000 photographs preferably of nature but that isn't too important. They have to be jpegs. Apologize if this isn't the right place to post this but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have you considered copyright? The fact that downloading and using someone else's photographs is a breach of copyright?

You can't just go downloading images (unless they are released under license or creative commons), without the permission of the photographer(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

are you willing to pay for them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Paulw wrote: »
    Have you considered copyright? The fact that downloading and using someone else's photographs is a breach of copyright?

You can't just go downloading images (unless they are released under license or creative commons), without the permission of the photographer(s).
    alexlyons wrote: »
    are you willing to pay for them?

+1

tho i believe there is some laxness on this if for educational purposes...possibly? provided you credit the tog... maybe i'm well off

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

No I wouldn't be able to pay for them. I found a good few places that allow you to use there photos for free as long as you mention them except nowhere that you can download a big group of them in one go. Also I won't be using these for any commercial use. It is just really to be able to test and demonstrate the software that I am designing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Also I won't be using these for any commercial use. It is just really to be able to test and demonstrate the software that I am designing.

You obviously don't understand copyright. It includes making copies or adaptations of the original work without the expressed permission of the copyright holder.

So, even you just using them to test/demonstrate is a breach of copyright, unless you have permission to do so.

How would you feel if someone takes what you design and uses it for their own purposes (assuming you're not making freeware)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=landscape&s=int&l=cc&ss=2&ct=0&mt=all&adv=1&m=tags

Will get you all the flickr content with 'landscape' as a tag and (rather crucially) creative commons licensed. The specific details of the license might vary (ie, some of them are non-commercial, some require attribution, some require that you do not change the image etc etc) but its a start.

Then sign up for a flickr API license key and going nuts. Build in flickr integration into your project for brownie points.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=landscape&s=int&l=cc&ss=2&ct=0&mt=all&adv=1&m=tags

Will get you all the flickr content with 'landscape' as a tag and (rather crucially) creative commons licensed. The specific details of the license might vary (ie, some of them are non-commercial, some require attribution, some require that you do not change the image etc etc) but its a start.

Then sign up for a flickr API license key and going nuts. Build in flickr integration into your project for brownie points.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think about flickr. I found a program that allows you to search for and mass download images from flickr. Also I was actually thinking of having a feature that did allow my programme to use photos directly from flickr but things are a bit behind schedule to say the least. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PureRGB

Hi I am making a photo mosaic maker for my final year project in computing and I am finding it quite hard to find somewhere to download a large number of photographs in one go. I can find plenty places to download them individually but as I will need around 1000 at least that would take some time. I have been able to find a large collection of beer mats and then a large collection of paintings but I really want a collection of photographs. Just wondering if there is anywhere that anybody knows where I can download about 1000 photographs preferably of nature but that isn't too important. They have to be jpegs. Apologize if this isn't the right place to post this but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bobster - there are many large and typically free (for academic research purposes at least) datasets for image processing research. For example just google Yale, FERET, BioID face detection datasets

There's a firefox add-on that you can get that allows you to go to forums and batch download from threads. You can download every image on a single page, or you can set it to batch download only images from whatever pages you specify, or just take every image from the thread.

Now, I can't for the life of me remember the name of the add-on, so if you find it please let me know, but I do know it exists. I used to have a wrestling related forum and it was based on photographs of merchandise. In order to get copies of everyone's photos (incase anything happened the site) I used this to tear the photos from all the threads people had made.

I remember doing searches for "Batch Image Downloader" when I was looking for it again, but I didn't find it. I think the name could be something like that, though. I downloaded thousands of photos in a few minutes with it (and it did all the work for me, of course).

You just specify a downlaod folder and away you go. You could also set it to number the photos in order they're downloaded.

Then you just have to find a forum that has a load of nature photographs collaborated in one thread and steal them all. As you can see from above comments, though, photographers take their work seriously (and rightly so) so as long as you don't try to make money off them or use them in any other ways except to develop your software I'd say you'd be laughing.

Advertisement