Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antique cannons

Options
  • 17-04-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the law is on antique cannons? A castle in my town, has two original cannon outside it. I would love to have them in action again for the town festival etc (blank shots only). I know the owner well and he is game if all is ok Re: the law. The cannon date from the 1600`s but are in good condition.

Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

how can you be sure there in good condition and wouldnt blow up when you atempt to fire it?you would need black powder aswell?thats a problem with the law also?im not sure about it maybe some guys who do the re enactment type stuff might know more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

bazza888 wrote: »
    how can you be sure there in good condition and wouldnt blow up when you atempt to fire it?you would need black powder aswell?thats a problem with the law also?im not sure about it maybe some guys who do the re enactment type stuff might know more?

An X-ray on the cannon like what is done on High pressure gas pipes (bord Gais Mains type) would do the trick IMO

Anyway, a small load of legally obtained display type powder would only cause smoke and sparks I would have taught as very low pressure (open to correction here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

You'll kill yourself and half the people at the festival if you try to fire one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The safety issue would be the main problem I'd imagine - reenactors can get access to black powder it would seem, though I've no idea what mechanism they use for that; but if the cannon's not up to it.... well, I wouldn't want to be anywhere in the vicinity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

In actuality it wouldnt be too dangerous or hard to do.The bores of somthing that old will be pitted and rough as FcUK,so it would be doubtful you would get even a charge down there.What you would have to do is sleeve the bore with a new bore which seeing that we are into special effects rather than firing projectiles,makes life abit simpler. Aquiring a length of High pressure steam line pipe and an end cap makes a fine replacement and is actually what special effects folks use for antique cannons.
    Remember being in Kings Lynn years ago and almost getting abit part in Revoultion,[starred Al Pachino] story is about the American war of independance.Anyways,got a tour of the set and a good eyeball of the antique cannons....made of plastic!!!:eek:.
    Yup,thecasing outside is made of plastic no stronger than your average garden ornament.It is simply a cover for a pipe that fires a charge of black powder or theatrical flash powder.
    To get a nice BANG! they block the muzzle with a piece of soft wood dowel.I know this goes against all we have been told about barrel obstructions etc,but remember there is no projectile trying to get out,and the gas is strong enough to push it out in a safe direction.Without it all you get is a thrilling big puff of white smoke.
    So a new sleeve in the old iron cannon could do it.

As for powder and the relative firing in special effects,there is/was a lad up in Dublin who is a certified armourer for the film industry in Ireland,and also works as a stuntman [Joe/John?? Condren]. If you can find him he might be able to advise/help you out??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Great bit of thinking there Grizzly;) A man called boyd, does the re-enactment at the battle of the boyne site, just up the road from me. He gets black powder for his match and wheel locks. He also has a cannon :D

Nearly forgot about him till you mentioned the stuntman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The guy who renovated the Martello Tower in Ballybrack, Co. Dublin, has a cannon on its roof and it was fired (unshotted)......see it on youtube at http://daithaic.blogspot.com/2009/07/killiney-martello-tower-no-7.html
    Rs
    P.

Advertisement