Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Fionn wrote: »
    the thing about the closure of Kickham Barracks is the fact that this constituency has no power, make no mistake, this is nothing to do with efficiency or rationalisation, this is a political decision, the government are basing their rationale on reports that are at this point way out of date.

Even though there is an argument that nobody will lose their employment if the closure goes ahead, there is obviously a knock on effect to the economy of clonmel when you consider that with the barracks gone, local suppliers and trades people will no longer have any contracts with the Dept.

Also the yearly spend from personnel that are either stationed in the barracks or other personnel visiting on training courses etc. will be felt in the towns economy, so therefore there probably will be a good chance of more job losses occurring in the town as a direct result of the barracks closing.

The figure that PDFORRA estimated, was a loss to the local economy of around nine million Euros! So in essence our government are transferring those potential earnings to some other constituency to the detriment of ours. Isn't it more important than ever that those earnings be retained in the local economy given the fact that we've lost so many jobs recently?

There's other issues with a closure of property this size, the barracks has over seven acres of land, since it wont/cant be sold off, whats going to happen to it? the former barracks in Kildare (McGee Bks) is an absolute disgrace!! no security, druggies and cider parties every night, it's a no go area that the scum have claimed for themselves causing an environmental/H&S disaster.
    Same goes for the former barracks in Longford (Connolly Bks). Do we really need a place the size of Kickham Barracks to be left to rot and fester???

The military personnel that have served in Clonmel down through the years have shown loyalty; to whatever government was in power, to Clonmel and the local area and indeed to the State. I think it's time that loyalty was reflected by our government, and the people of South Tipperary.

As regards the military, i realise that a lot of people have no clue about the military and consider it a waste of resources, all I can say to this, is that the military, who as i've already stated remain loyal to the Constitution and thereby the government and the people of Ireland, provide the authority to the legitimate democratically elected government of the State to govern without fear of intimidation or prejudice. The Defence Forces are also a symbol of our sovereignty and our strength, such as it is.

The old saying comes to mind; better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    Finally, military service; to those that know, no explanation is necessary, to those that don't know, no explanation is possible!

apologies for the long post.

:)

Blinding post Fionn thank you

A large turn out at the demonstration not withstanding the weather. Case of wait n see time now.

Darren Ryan mentioned that the delegations meeting with the Minister didn't go exactly to plan but he(the minister)did say several times that no final decision on the fate of Kickham Barracks has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

iceage wrote: »
    You'll be at the march then touts?

Unfortunately I had to work Saturday morning. Got there at 3:30 but there was no one there. The weather was awful so I presume it was over and everyone left quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I heard Baker's pub will be the next to close.I hope it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

That'd be an awful shame.
    It's the only pub I enjoy going to in town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DT100 wrote: »

Echoing I hope it's not true, I can't imagine it is as it does great business on the weekends! Hopefully it's just a rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

Can't see that happening as the lads who are behind it also have o keffees (unless things have changed in the last year) and if rumours are true and planning permission goes through they are going to build on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

boiledeggs wrote: »
    Can't see that happening as the lads who are behind it also have o keffees (unless things have changed in the last year) and if rumours are true and planning permission goes through they are going to build on.

Planning permission to build on has been rejected and protested against some local publican owners, no surprise there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Bakers? I haven't been in Clonmel for a while, but I don't remember where this pub is?

Bakers? I haven't been in Clonmel for a while, but I don't remember where this pub is?

It's on Parnell Street, close to Phil Carrolls, used to be the pub owned by "The Judge" years ago.

It was Bobby O' Briens years ago.I heard today that the restaurant in Hearns is closing friday????? A hotel with no restaurant?...Anyone hear anything about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It was Bobby O' Briens years ago.I heard today that the restaurant in Hearns is closing friday????? A hotel with no restaurant?...Anyone hear anything about that?

To be fair that is a liberal use of the word "hotel" as well.

Hearns actually rent out that Restaurant to a catering company from Clerihan. I haven't heard about anything about it shutting down, but apparently the current owners of Hearns have no interest in running a restaurant there as there just isn't much money to be made in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

lockie1983 wrote: »
    It's on Parnell Street, close to Phil Carrolls, used to be the pub owned by "The Judge" years ago.

Jeez, now I feel completely out of sync with reality! Was the pub down by Phil Carrolls called the Coachman? with a place upstairs / out the back for parties? Or is it that old one across from the Parnell grill? Does that place exist anymore? I can't believe how much I have forgotten.

Jeez, now I feel completely out of sync with reality! Was the pub down by Phil Carrolls called the Coachman? with a place upstairs / out the back for parties? Or is it that old one across from the Parnell grill? Does that place exist anymore? I can't believe how much I have forgotten.

Yes that is the Coachman.The one across from the chipper is Annie Kehoes.I may have asked about Annie's before....Is it still open....It must be the only pub in Clonmel I was never in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Yes I am glad to say that Annies is still going strong.
    Had a few pints in there last Saturday(and bloody nice they were too)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Just browsing the property web section and I see the following businesses up for sale Fitzgearld & Nash, The 19th Hole and most surprisingly The Cresent. Will there be anything left in this town, The Banks are going to have to start lending again these businesses are good employers.

Royco wrote: »
    Just browsing the property web section and I see the following businesses up for sale Fitzgearld & Nash, The 19th Hole and most surprisingly The Cresent. Will there be anything left in this town, The Banks are going to have to start lending again these businesses are good employers.

The Cresent!! :eek: Now that's a shock, that's my local shop Frank O'Keefe is a legend!! I hope to god he's not selling it, its a goldmine for him being so close to the schools and that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The Cresent!! :eek: Now that's a shock, that's my local shop Frank O'Keefe is a legend!! I hope to god he's not selling it, its a goldmine for him being so close to the schools and that!

That's what everyone says, and there's no doubt that it at least used to be, but has that been the case the last couple of years?

I wonder if he's selling so he can enjoy retirement or as a business decision as he isn't making money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I can confirm this is true.

Blatter wrote: »
    That's what everyone says, and there's no doubt that it at least used to be, but has that been the case the last couple of years?

I wonder if he's selling so he can enjoy retirement or as a business decision as he isn't making money?

I'm not sure, would love to know the reasons behind selling it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm not sure, would love to know the reasons behind selling it!!

Too close to Tesco's I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Lads as I said a couple of pages back doing business in Clonmel is very hard as it is every where. One of the big hidden issues is Rates both water and business rates which are still at 2008 levels when most business's have seen a big decline in turnover the coucil and councilors have all decided to ignore appeals from the business community to engage with them to try and reduce the rates.

As far as I can see our councilors couldn't give a rats they have a very cushy number which they are well over paid for. How much could local business's and services be helped out if we stopped paying them and diverted that money into the coffers where it could actually do some good.

For the life of me I can't figure out how these guys are still being paid given the current state of the country.

cml387 wrote: »
    Too close to Tesco's I'd guess.

It still has the houses nearby and the two schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Yea its true its on myhome.ie and it states retirement as the reason for selling but i know the rates there are huge as are with other places in town, O'tuamas cafe is going as well due to high rates in market shopping centre. Nobody seems to care about the small business man when he's in trouble but when it reaches their homes like the army barracks or the hospital everyone is up in arms over it, these small businesses can have up to 20 staff employed as well as contract suppliers its a shame people arent more vocal when it comes to these businesses. Clonmel borough council are seen as a very greedy town that doesnt support small businesses. its all money money money to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Chapmans coffee shop in threat of closure I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The council won't be happy till there is nothing left in the town centre or else everything is based in the big white elephant that is the Showgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

alexmcred wrote: »
    The council won't be happy till there is nothing left in the town centre or else everything is based in the big white elephant that is the Showgrounds.
    By all accounts there's one or two places there closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Any cheerful news going on in Clonmel? I need a bloody giggle with all this doom n gloom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Noel O Brien was absolutely hilarious, Stone mad. Anyone remember the phone shop he had on Irishtown back in the late 90's.
    Some bang off him down at the court house too.
    iceage wrote: »
    Any cheerful news going on in Clonmel? I need a bloody giggle with all this doom n gloom.

William Swillam Roche actually has a Facebook page, Well worth a look, Very funny, Guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

• Advertisement

Is Bernard Doyles television shop closed?..I was looking for someone to do a job on a dvd .He was the only person I know that did repairs of that kind.

Advertisement