Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

DT100 wrote: »
    Is Bernard Doyles television shop closed?..I was looking for someone to do a job on a dvd .He was the only person I know that did repairs of that kind.

I past by recently and it was open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

First of its kind in Clonmel, just a bit of a laugh for the kids. It all seemed to go well and the weather held off long enough for all the young vamps, werewolf and mummies to make their way to the car park at Mary St. for a bit of breakdance and street performance. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

archtech wrote: »
    I past by recently and it was open

Yeah,I passed today it was open.I had passd a few times and the shutter's were down.I was passing a few days last week,the shutters were down.He usually is closed on Thursday,which takes me back to another tradition,when the shops used to close on a Thursday...I was told today that the 2euro shop beside where the Present Time shop was in market place,is having a closing down sale??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

This from a thread concerning Derek Mooney, the TV personality.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75268475

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Is Bernard Doyles television shop closed?..I was looking for someone to do a job on a dvd .He was the only person I know that did repairs of that kind.

Dont know but he must be in business well over 30 years. I would say retirement may be an option soon although it is just as likely that they will have to wheel him out feet first with a screwdriver firmly stuck in his hand in another 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Yeah,I passed today it was open.I had passd a few times and the shutter's were down.I was passing a few days last week,the shutters were down.He usually is closed on Thursday,which takes me back to another tradition,when the shops used to close on a Thursday...I was told today that the 2euro shop beside where the Present Time shop was in market place,is having a closing down sale??????????

Yes thats true its closing too as is the boutique in O'Connell St I think called Glamorous, its really awful to see so many small businesses closing, I know its all down to the ridiculously high rents and rates.

iceage wrote: »
    Correct Davejac Kilkenny is one of them. Kickham seems to be only one barracks on a list of others facing closure.

Its impact will be felt for sure thoughout the town as well as the families being directly effected lets not forget about the beleagued businesses and traders of the town that have been dealing with the barracks for countless numbers of years and rely on them heavily for their trade not to mention all the other Civvie empoyees of the barracks. This is just another kick in the teeth and I reckon that we're going to see more businesses closing their doors as a direct effect of the closure, a point I fear that touts has missed altogether I reckon.

Touts you have a right to your opinion this is after all an open forum and as to your point about the hospital I totally agree you are correct. But..

As to the industries that surround Clonmel, which do you refer too? Is it Boston who rattled recently but settled everyone's cough with a cheque for millions recently.. Said mayor reckons he had a hand in it. Did he f*ck. Is it Abbott who advertised and took on 95 people with the majority from outside the town! MSD down the round also just opened their new R&D extension worth X million yoyos as well. All three Company's are Pharma/medical devices and American and were enticed and suckled for the tax incentives that this Country offers but lets not forget what happened when Seagate upped sticks and swanned off shall we.

If I was to have a bitch about "local Industries" I'd be more put out about the likes of company's such as JRE who just folded with the loss of 147 employees and what does the powers that be concentrate on? The latest extension to the waste of space white elephant that is the Showgrounds.. of course that's what clonmel needs, more takeaways, Womens fashion boutiques and bloody €2 discount stores.
    As to your description of what the Army does and Kickham Barracks's, how did you put it "a few lads running around playing soldiers input to the local economy of Clonmel smacks of ill informed drivel and truthfully a very narrow minded outlook. Either that or your just trying to cause an argument, which is it?
    I agree with your regarding the barracks but Please dont complain about new boutiques and takeaways, both will create employment, and women are more likely to stay in Clonmel to shop rather than going to Kilkenny or Waterford or where ever which will do the town good and as for takeaways most of them in town are robbers and its good to have a choice dont you think.

Been in Eddie Rockets lately? One of the most expensive burgers in the town. (Have to say they are nice though:) )

Dawn Fresh Foods on Killenaule road is letting go around 60 people iv heard - not sure if its true, did anyone hear about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

nowayjosie wrote: »
    Dawn Fresh Foods on Killenaule road is letting go around 60 people iv heard - not sure if its true, did anyone hear about this?[/QUOTEyeah,heard same,South Tipp is getting really ****ed over these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

dont know if it was mentioned already, the other day, I saw a 'CLOSING DOWN' sign on the furniture store Fitzgerald & Nash in Irishtown.

more jobs presumably gone!!

:mad:

Thats been there for ages Fionn. Closing for years that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I was in there today and furniture was thin on the ground...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

ITs for real this time, I think the flooding over the past few years has helped with his decision. Building is for sale and everthing within. Sad to see it go, I bought a lot of stuff there over the years. Modern cheap furniture just doesnt last like it did, but most of the stuff I bought there is still going strong!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: Unsubstantiated rumours removed. If you don't have a source, don't post it. Scaremongering about big employers isn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Saw a new nail place has opened beside the main guard in the corner unit.
    Also Xmas lights going up tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mod Note: Unsubstantiated rumours removed. If you don't have a source, don't post it. Scaremongering about big employers isn't on.

My post about Stada is correct.i work there!....

Hopefully new owners to be confirmed in Jan but if the sale falls through the present owners will discuss redundancy terms in March for eventual closure in 1/2 years.There is only 1 interested party,no more eggs in the basket!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

dahat wrote: »
    My post about Stada is correct.i work there!....

Hopefully new owners to be confirmed in Jan but if the sale falls through the present owners will discuss redundancy terms in March for eventual closure in 1/2 years.There is only 1 interested party,no more eggs in the basket!

I don't think Mod's note was aimed at you. I have read elsewhere that the plant is for sale.The best of luck,I know what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vampirevixens

Glamerous fashion shop has reopen under new boss same staff ...hair we go 19 ard-na -greine clonmel is closing and be reopen under new person ...this town is just gone ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Can anyone tell me what the prices are like in Iceland?
    I only discovered today that they had opened in Clonmel and I'd love to have a look.
    Is the stuff marked in sterling?( How much would a pound item be in Euro?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

chucken1 wrote: »
    I only discovered today that they had opened in Clonmel and I'd love to have a look.

The prices are very cheap and priced in Euro. :) I would compare the store to Lidl and Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ye can say goodbye to the council too, Seeing as Clonmel already has its own borough council it seems likely to stay in Nenagh after the county is reunited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Some of the stuff is quiet good value. Ie. 3 ltr coca cola €2, deep pan pepperoni pizzas €1. There are other good bargains to be got there but I just don't have the prices in my head. 2 ltr cartons of milk and bread are good value. Some of the stuff marked £1 was €1.50, others not such a bad exchange rate. I've had a pizza from there and it was as good as a goodfellas one. It's well worth a few mins looking around. I found that the non frozen items weren't as good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

KittyKat wrote: »
    The prices are very cheap and priced in Euro. :) I would compare the store to Lidl and Aldi.
    Some of the stuff is quiet good value. Ie. 3 ltr coca cola €2, deep pan pepperoni pizzas €1. There are other good bargains to be got there but I just don't have the prices in my head. 2 ltr cartons of milk and bread are good value. Some of the stuff marked £1 was €1.50, others not such a bad exchange rate. I've had a pizza from there and it was as good as a goodfellas one. It's well worth a few mins looking around. I found that the non frozen items weren't as good value.

Thanks for the replies. I might take a drive down during the week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Thanks for the replies. I might take a drive down during the week.:)
    I haven't ventured in because I'm slightly afraid that Kerry Katona will appear from nowhere and start throwing frozen onion bhajis at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hearing lots of talk that the food isn't good. I've had some myself and while it pains me to say it, it was not nice as expected. My entire family agrees with me. If you're willing to look past that for the good value (at times) then it might be OK for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Any update on the free wifi that was meant to be coming into the town centre?

I thought it was scheduled to be kicked off in September, has it been sidelined due to lack of funds?

Nothing yet! looking doubtful with everything that has been going on recently in Clonmel.

Its been confirmed - Dawn Fresh Foods to start letting the staff go. First to go will be 26 casual staff then another 40 offered redundancy and as usual all this just before christmas. The people of Fethard must be in shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

I was down town earlier to get a recycling sticker for my bag, and the shop keeper told me the council was gone and there was a new company collecting recycling.
    I bought the bags, and they're from Cork City Council.

What happened?

Advertisement