Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

copy1 wrote: »
    Grinding my gears... i went in to Topaz this morning,the staff member could not say a reply when i said good morning...not a thank you or kiss my ass even when i bought 70 Euro of fuel...yes before you say we do all have bad days but really not 1 word to a paying customer.

Well credit where credit is due....

The Maxol (now Greenapple) on the Waterford road, must say they have a very nice team of staff.

Always friendly and polite and never ask that question that I find really annoying "did you get fuel?" makes you feel like they are accusing you of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    No we are a private entity..but we have gone through at least 6 air guages this year alone.
    do topaz refund the euro for air? I would not give that big fat ****** OBrien any money or even get the car washed tere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

dieselbug wrote: »
    Always friendly and polite and never ask that question that I find really annoying "did you get fuel?" makes you feel like they are accusing you of something.
    They are obliged to ask that.
    If they don't ask and the skanger lies and says they didn't get fuel (when they actually did) the cashier gets it in the neck from the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Yorker wrote: »
    do topaz refund the euro for air? I would not give that big fat ****** OBrien any money or even get the car washed tere

I would think so..probably the same system they have at the topaz service stop in cashel. Trolley type lock with € refund

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

dieselbug wrote: »

Its because so many people are so long farting about in the shop that they forget they also got fuel. many of whom probably also left their cars at the pump blocking others getting to refuel too ( cretins )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No,you don't get the Euro back.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Anyone else ever witness what i call the "Merck Manoeuvre" - its when the traffic for Merck doesn't go to the end of the lane to where they yield to oncoming traffic, but cuts across the ghost island and then into where the exiting traffic would wait on the other side of the road, before then joining the correct lane. Taking the racing line if you will.

I pass here every morning and evening and when there is a gap for the motorists to do it and nothing waiting at the exit, they often do it.

331296.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

It's not unique to the Merck junction, I've seen drivers do it around town.

Another interesting maneuver is the "Cashel Road Dare" where traffic starts to make a second lane coming down the Cashel Hill at a point further and further back from the roundabout.

The "Heywood Road conundrum": where trafffic, depite numerous signs, posts and warnings, insists on turning right when coming out onto the by pass from
    the Boston Scientic side.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

cml387 wrote: »

Another interesting maneuver is the "Cashel Road Dare" where traffic starts to make a second lane coming down the Cashel Hill at a point further and further back from the roundabout.

The "Heywood Road conundrum": where trafffic, depite numerous signs, posts and warnings, insists on turning right when coming out onto the by pass from

Or the "Fethard Road Frightener" where impatient drivers heading out of (and into) town at the Fethard Rd roundabout take the wrong lane (SIGNPOSTED!!!) and then "bully" their way across to the correct lane while on the roundabout, nearly taking out the car following the rules...:mad:

excellent naming convention there guys!

how about the "Dowds Lane Dash" - no real explanation needed here, its just people driving down this [partially] one way street to get onto the quay - Gardai are often one of the culprits here

331330.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

cml387 wrote: »

I've witnessed the 'Cashel road dare' a few times allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

there should be a roundabout at the bottom of Ard caoin hill as in there will be somebody killed as every body coming from Boston turns right there,

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

excellent naming convention there guys!

how about the "Dowds Lane Dash" - no real explanation needed here, its just people driving down this [partially] one way street to get onto the quay - Gardai are often one of the culprits here

331330.png

Or the "Parnell St Puzzler" where you have 3 pedestrian crossings and 5 vehicular junctions within 100metres, then a roundabout, then lights. Daughter on L-plates finds this street "scary":D

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.3538285,-7.6970814,3a,75y,72.66h,88.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seu4_8ngWhZ6QvTGTlJfd_g!2e0!6m1!1e1

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Or the "Parnell St Puzzler" where you have 3 pedestrian crossings and 5 vehicular junctions within 100metres, then a roundabout, then lights. Daughter on L-plates finds this street "scary":D

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.3538285,-7.6970814,3a,75y,72.66h,88.78t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1seu4_8ngWhZ6QvTGTlJfd_g!2e0!6m1!1e1

try it after o"keeffes closes - in a saloon car - you not get to the end of the street with out a few drunks climbing into the back of your "taxi"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

try it after o"keeffes closes - in a saloon car - you not get to the end of the street with out a few drunks climbing into the back of your "taxi"

I always lock the car when around town at that time of the night.the amount of idiots that jump in front of you to try and stop you is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Just wondering if anyone tried the new restaurants/cafe
    1. Coopers steakhouse
    2. The Morrrigan
    Just wondering as we are looking for somewhere for a work xmas meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ladyjebus

Hi, just wondering if anyone here knows how to apply to the mayors fund, or a number I could ring?

My mother and father could use a bit of the help with the heating costs as they have oil heating and cant afford to fill the oil tank.

I know of a woman that gets coal paid for from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Ladyjebus wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anyone here knows how to apply to the mayors fund, or a number I could ring?

My mother and father could use a bit of the help with the heating costs as they have oil heating and cant afford to fill the oil tank.

I know of a woman that gets coal paid for from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Contact Saint Vincent de Paul 052 6123878 and they may be able to help with a coal delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ladyjebus

Thank you :)

An old post card of the Main guard shows Cooney's Bar with a shop called Grogans beside it. What was Grogans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Grogans was a cafe / pub. I never remember Grogans being open as a pub but they did have a six day license, Which allowed it to open mon - fri . I remember Mr Grogan would invite a local garada to 'buy' a drink once a year to keep the license active. It did open as a pub later I think it was called the Dukes Tavern

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Grogans was a cafe / pub. I never remember Grogans being open as a pub but they did have a six day license, Which allowed it to open mon - fri . I remember Mr Grogan would invite a local garada to 'buy' a drink once a year to keep the license active. It did open as a pub later I think it was called the Dukes Tavern
    thank you. What was on that site before the main guard which was built in 1674 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

thank you. What was on that site before the main guard which was built in 1674 i think

I read somewhere before that Clonmel is laid out as a Norman town. In that design the main streets of the town would have lead up to a castle on slightly higher ground. O'Connell Street and Gladstone Street are on the paths of two of those streets and there was probably another leading up from the river and one from the other side. So back in the distant past there would have been some sort of a castle or stronghold at that spot where the lord of the town, and his soldiers, lived and the streets lead up to that. Now you are talking about a good 500 years between the Norman conquest and the building of the main guard so I've no idea what was there immediately before the Main Guard was built. It might still have been some sort of a castle but maybe not the original Norman one. I'd suspect given the name "Main Guard" that it always maintained some sort of link to being a stronghold and centre of power in the town. I should be in town at the weekend so if I remember (101 things to do) and if they are open I'll try to call in and ask.

touts wrote: »
    I read somewhere before that Clonmel is laid out as a Norman town. In that design the main streets of the town would have lead up to a castle on slightly higher ground. O'Connell Street and Gladstone Street are on the paths of two of those streets and there was probably another leading up from the river and one from the other side. So back in the distant past there would have been some sort of a castle or stronghold at that spot where the lord of the town, and his soldiers, lived and the streets lead up to that. Now you are talking about a good 500 years between the Norman conquest and the building of the main guard so I've no idea what was there immediately before the Main Guard was built. It might still have been some sort of a castle but maybe not the original Norman one. I'd suspect given the name "Main Guard" that it always maintained some sort of link to being a stronghold and centre of power in the town. I should be in town at the weekend so if I remember (101 things to do) and if they are open I'll try to call in and ask.

The original castle was a earth and timber fortification located in St. Mary's carpark (Almost without exception these earliest castles are located close to churches). There's very clear evidence for where the original town walls were in Gordon St. car park behind old St. Marys and you can still see traces of newer versions of them in the foyer of the cinema, over near Superquinn and the swimming pool. The original very narrow lanes (leading from O'Connell st down to the river and into the carpark) are all medieval

The West Gate though not very old itself was on the site of one of the gates into the town (the Irish were forced to live outside the gates hence Irishtown outside this area). There were two other gates to the north and the east with the south protected by the river and the mountains. I can't remember but I think one of these gates was at the top of O'Connell st (the narrowness of Mitchell st. would support this) with a gate house and a guard area where the Main Guard is now and the other may have been near Queen st.

The Main Guard have a model of Medieval Clonmel on the ground floor and there are lots of books in the library detailing the early history with excellent maps.

Meathlass wrote: »
    The Main Guard have a model of Medieval Clonmel on the ground floor and there are lots of books in the library detailing the early history with excellent maps.

I bought a locally produced book in the Tourist Office a few years ago simply called "Clonmel" and it has loads of history. I think it cost €5

I bought a locally produced book in the Tourist Office a few years ago simply called "Clonmel" and it has loads of history. I think it cost €5

Is that the one written by Elizabeth Shee Twohig? She's an archaeology Professor in UCC. I've been trying to get my hands on it for years and it's out of print. Last time I saw it at a book fair it was €18.

Meathlass wrote: »
    Is that the one written by Elizabeth Shee Twohig? She an archaeology Professor in UCC. I've been trying to get my hands on it for years and it's out of print. Last time I saw it at a book fair it was €18.

It's by Elizabeth Shee and S Watson. Try the Tourist Office, though they might be closed for Christmas. If you can't get one let me know on here and I'll send on mine to you.

It's by Elizabeth Shee and S Watson. Try the Tourist Office, though they might be closed for Christmas. If you can't get one let me know on here and I'll send on mine to you.

Very kind of you, cheers. I'll try the tourist office; they'll probably still have copies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Has Maxol on the moangarriff roundabout changed to apple green ? Just asking this because I only fill with Maxol fuel as its quality petrol with the highest e5 rating around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Apple green have taken it over, from the 15th I think. Sineage is still Maxol so I presume it has to be Maxol fuel, dont think they would be allowed sell their own brand under a false sign.

Soon to be changed I would think.

I was in there today as see they are open tomorrow, Christmas day.

Advertisement