Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The Council gave up the refuse collecting a couple of months ago,a company called greenIreland has taken over the Council customers since about the end of October(you mustn't leave out much stuff;)It's a wonder they didn't call to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

I'm not registered or anything, I just leave out a bag of recycling every couple of months in a bag with a sticker.

Surprised this happened back in October and I didn't hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 taramori

Hi Everyone,

What are your thoughts on Local Heroes in Clonmel like the one in Drogheda last year on RTE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Anyone any idea what's going in beside the Emerald Garden on O'Connell street.That has been closed off for a good while.I see some kind of euro saver has opened in the Ormond Centre...Just saw it as I was driving by.Mr H was buzzing around...............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 taramori

I heard Emerald were taking that premises to. i went into the Euro 50 Shop today and was very shocked. You have to see it. Dealz is opening soon on O Connell Street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I presume you were shocked in a bad way?or maybe shocked a the value?.I will have to go in now...................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I'm not registered or anything, I just leave out a bag of recycling every couple of months in a bag with a sticker.

Surprised this happened back in October and I didn't hear about it.
    The local Councilors weren't told it was happening either,needless to say they were not too happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tippspur wrote: »
    The local Councilors weren't told it was happening either,needless to say they were not too happy about it.

Local Councillors were briefed on the issue months before it happened but they weren't told exactly who won the tender(for obvious reasons) for the service until it was jointly announced by the Council and the company.
    It was a great excuse for a rant for them.
    Interestingly only one of them gave the actual reason why the Council got out of the service i.e the locals deserted the system.
    Time will tell if the new company will be cheaper than the Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Vizzy wrote: »
    Local Councillors were briefed on the issue months before it happened but they weren't told exactly who won the tender(for obvious reasons) for the service until it was jointly announced by the Council and the company.
    Interestingly only one of them gave the actual reason why the Council got out of the service i.e the locals deserted the system.

The council or corporation in this case are not allowed to run a refuse collection service at a loss where there are private companies around to do the job.As Vizzy points out the public deserted the corporation so there was no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the spoofer

taramori wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

What are your thoughts on Local Heroes in Clonmel like the one in Drogheda last year on RTE ?

Good idea !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

hey all, planet spice running a good daily deal - basically 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 sundries, tea/coffee for 22 quid.... excellent value, went in there myself in their waterford restaurant on Sat nite and had a smashing meal, mushroom pilau rice was top notch

http://www.pigsback.com/megadeals?rf=121644642

get a further 10% off buy using discount voucher MEGACHEESE10

also referral code for 121644642

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

hey all, planet spice running a good daily deal - basically 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 sundries, tea/coffee for 22 quid.... excellent value, went in there myself in their waterford restaurant on Sat nite and had a smashing meal, mushroom pilau rice was top notch

http://www.pigsback.com/megadeals?rf=121644642

get a further 10% off buy using discount voucher MEGACHEESE10

also referral code for 121644642

Is that take away ? Or sitdown? Sounds good value either way. They do lovely grub in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curtainpoles

Whos Running this local heroes campaign?? I know quite a few local shop owners and they're baffled by this?? Theres a facebook page but whos behind the whole thing, is it the traders assoc. or the chamber?? or is it just run by RTE themselves??

Vizzy wrote: »

Why wouldnt people desert when they had to pay 300 euro,and then had to pay monthly for the bin lift.The 300 more than covers a private company,at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 murray sparkle

Whos Running this local heroes campaign?? I know quite a few local shop owners and they're baffled by this?? Theres a facebook page but whos behind the whole thing, is it the traders assoc. or the chamber?? or is it just run by RTE themselves??

I'm a bit baffled myself. Someone from Local heroes came in to my shop on Friday of last week and started to talk to me about it. I got the distinct impression that they weren't really on top of their game about the whole thing. It was very happy clappy.

As far as I know from talking to a few other traders on the street this is something extra on top of the other existing associations of traders and chambers etc.

One thing strikes me as peculair about this whole thing. It's all very fine that the peple behind it are doing this but where were they two years ago, three years ago when the town was in rag order and there were jobs being lost everywhere and we, myself included, were worried about how we would keep the doors open? Where were the heroes then?

Now that there's the chance of being on telly they're coming out of the woodwork.

As bad as things were in Clonmel a few years ago at least it's not as bad as other towns now. Look at all the businesses opening that are creating jobs. Admittedly it's not great for a fella like me who has been in business for a few years to see increased competition - but it's bringing more people into town.

When we talk about local heroes what about the woman in my street who has been co-ordinating the Xmas lights in the street for over thirty years and doing it voluntarily? What about the tidy towns people? They've never asked for thanks or wanted to be on telly.

Call me a cynic but this town has enough groups already doing the work that the local heroes are saying that they will do.

anyway, happy christmas to you all and thanks for helping us keep the doors open for another year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm a bit baffled myself. Someone from Local heroes came in to my shop on Friday of last week and started to talk to me about it. I got the distinct impression that they weren't really on top of their game about the whole thing. It was very happy clappy.

As far as I know from talking to a few other traders on the street this is something extra on top of the other existing associations of traders and chambers etc.

One thing strikes me as peculair about this whole thing. It's all very fine that the peple behind it are doing this but where were they two years ago, three years ago when the town was in rag order and there were jobs being lost everywhere and we, myself included, were worried about how we would keep the doors open? Where were the heroes then?

Now that there's the chance of being on telly they're coming out of the woodwork.

As bad as things were in Clonmel a few years ago at least it's not as bad as other towns now. Look at all the businesses opening that are creating jobs. Admittedly it's not great for a fella like me who has been in business for a few years to see increased competition - but it's bringing more people into town.

When we talk about local heroes what about the woman in my street who has been co-ordinating the Xmas lights in the street for over thirty years and doing it voluntarily? What about the tidy towns people? They've never asked for thanks or wanted to be on telly.

Call me a cynic but this town has enough groups already doing the work that the local heroes are saying that they will do.

anyway, happy christmas to you all and thanks for helping us keep the doors open for another year!

A clue to your shop whereabouts would certainly encourage me to support a fellow boardsie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 curtainpoles

Well said, murray sparkle! I believe we already have local heroes in our midst who go unnoticed year after year. As you said..The ones who organise the lights, the tidy towns etc. and what about the ones who organise events such as the many races that are on here each yr, the hospice tree, the junction festival, rallies, and a whole load of other events. The ones who work hard year after year and some who have done for many years!!!

I didnt attend the public meeting in the park hotel (which by the way, form what I could see was only advertised on facebook!) BUT I did have a friend who was there and has kept me updated. It seemed like a load of codswallop!! 3 people running it and not 1 of them a retailer in the town!!! fair enough 2 of them owned a business, but neither had a shop in the town, the third claimed to be a marketing expert? My friend said that she had never heard of her and my friend has worked in the town in marketing for a long time...

The information given also was contradictory - they stated they were going to reduce rates in the town centre and were very adement on this!! funny as the traders in the town centre have been doing this for how many years??? and never any joy! They were also going to work with people with mental illness or something? anyways the whole thing didnt seem to make any sense!!!

So the big question is why?? why these people and why is it not being run by the people who will actually benefit from it and those who know what they're on about!! - The shop keepers!!

Is it just me or does nobody else quite get it??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Well said, murray sparkle! I believe we already have local heroes in our midst who go unnoticed year after year. As you said..The ones who organise the lights, the tidy towns etc. and what about the ones who organise events such as the many races that are on here each yr, the hospice tree, the junction festival, rallies, and a whole load of other events. The ones who work hard year after year and some who have done for many years!!!

I didnt attend the public meeting in the park hotel (which by the way, form what I could see was only advertised on facebook!) BUT I did have a friend who was there and has kept me updated. It seemed like a load of codswallop!! 3 people running it and not 1 of them a retailer in the town!!! fair enough 2 of them owned a business, but neither had a shop in the town, the third claimed to be a marketing expert? My friend said that she had never heard of her and my friend has worked in the town in marketing for a long time...

The information given also was contradictory - they stated they were going to reduce rates in the town centre and were very adement on this!! funny as the traders in the town centre have been doing this for how many years??? and never any joy! They were also going to work with people with mental illness or something? anyways the whole thing didnt seem to make any sense!!!

So the big question is why?? why these people and why is it not being run by the people who will actually benefit from it and those who know what they're on about!! - The shop keepers!!

Is it just me or does nobody else quite get it??

Was your man Mordant one of them. Never misses a chance for self-publicity does that fella.

I get the feeling it will be like the whole GIY thing a couple of years ago. Popular in the media so a few lads jump on the bandwagon and set up a local branch to give themselves something to do. It will do some good especially for those who get in early and get into the clique but for the majority it will not even register as existing. In a year or two it will be just another club with monthly meetings just like Lyons Club, Rotary, Toastmasters, GIY, Tidy Towns etc etc. Well meaning and doing some good but limited in scope.

curtainpoles thanks for the post.

I didn't go to the public meeting, but a know a woman who did and she was scathing about it afterwards.

Firstly, it's a self appointed committee and boy! have they lost the run of themselves.

Nothing that was said on the night was original - all they stuff they spoke about is being doing by the Enterprise Board, the tourist office, the Chamber of Commerce, the Traders group, the County Council and others. She said that the people that she was sitting with were all in agreement that these people were all just keen to jump on the back of other peoples work and claim the credit.

I don't get what the correlation is between what they are doing and what is being done in Drogheda.

Also, I believe that one of the group on the stage insulted every single web developer in the town by saying that there were no decent local websites. To make matters worse, apparently one of the local web developers was in the audience. Ouch!

Unlike any of the three that were up on that stage that night I am a rate payer and the local business groups have been doing their level best for years to reduce rates. I actualluy believe that they have - what makes this crowd so different? They haven't a hope. I hate paying them, but it's part of what you sign up to when you open a business in any town. Just get over it and get on with getting people in the door - that's what I do.

Overall, what I heard back was less than complimentary and pretty much highlights what I thought before Christmas -here we have a few people rubbernecking to get on telly and they are trying to piggy back on the work of others to get there.

I asked someone else recently if any of the local business groups were involved, aas you would expect them to be at the heart of something like this and I was told that they weren't.

Speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

self appointed committee and boy! have they lost the run of themselves.

would this be like a 'Love Clonmel' effort :rolleyes:

Self appointed, Self promotion & full of themselves perhaps? ;)

if it's a three person show with no involvement of local traders - it's bound to fail, although theres a Facebook page that shows a photograph (poorly taken I must say) of four people - doesn't show names tho!!

the Facebook page gives details of a meeting tonight at 6:30 pm in the Town Hall, sort of unusual time for this eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭bobster453

Fionn wrote: »
    would this be like a 'Love Clonmel' effort :rolleyes:

Self appointed, Self promotion & full of themselves perhaps? ;)

if it's a three person show with no involvement of local traders - it's bound to fail, although theres a Facebook page that shows a photograph (poorly taken I must say) of four people - doesn't show names tho!!

the Facebook page gives details of a meeting tonight at 6:30 pm in the Town Hall, sort of unusual time for this eh?

From what I have been told it is on at 6.30pm because the Council expects it to be fairly stormy and might take some time..Storm in a teacup most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

bobster453 wrote: »
    From what I have been told it is on at 6.30pm because the Council expects it to be fairly stormy and might take some time..Storm in a teacup most likely

6:30 will minimise the crowd. Business owners close up at ~6pm. Do they go home for a rest and and dinner or go to a meeting. If it was on at 8:30 then more would go home have a bite to eat, play with the kids and then head into the meeting. 6:30pm and short notice means most tired hungry business owners will just shrug their shoulders as they lock the door and say whats the point.

touts wrote: »
    6:30 will minimise the crowd. Business owners close up at ~6pm. Do they go home for a rest and and dinner or go to a meeting. If it was on at 8:30 then more would go home have a bite to eat, play with the kids and then head into the meeting. 6:30pm and short notice means most tired hungry business owners will just shrug their shoulders as they lock the door and say whats the point.
    Fair due and anyhow..what is the point..I hear this is a public consultation meeting on Development plans for Clonmel..I hear a lot btw:)

Anyone been keeping an eye on the price of Petrol and Diesel lately..looking at old receipts..well six months is the oldest..I see where to fill my 1.9tdi car cost me €73 in August, the other day it cost €81, difference between the 2 fill,1.5 ltrs less this time around, both from Topaz at the Railway Station

Hi All,
    Any Archery Clubs around Clonmel Cahir etc where I could start, I know there is one in Waterford but bit far to travel, or is anyone who knows what they are doing interested in starting one in Clonmel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Can't believe it was Anthony Fallon got killed, I knew the chap well, Often got a taxi off him when I lived in the dump, I'v known him since i was young, Poor bloke, What kind of a hole has Clonmel turned into ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

charlemont wrote: »
    Can't believe it was Anthony Fallon got killed, I knew the chap well, Often got a taxi off him when I lived in the dump, I'v known him since i was young, Poor bloke, What kind of a hole has Clonmel turned into ??

A murder is a horrible thing, especially for the family, unfortunately they happen all over the country, Clonmel is a big town so from time to time there are unfortunately going to be murders.....it doesnt automatically turn the town into a hole, and I object to you calling it a dump.....if you have nothing good to say about Clonmel to say....fair enough but dont call it a dump and a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lex123

lets take this 2 a lighter note
    any interest in how Con Sheehan will get on up at super heavy weight in the senior finals,if he wins it will be 5 in a row and he is only 22 thats sum feat!!

• Advertisement

Local Heroes - Totally self appointed.

It's not the local hereoes that are behind the 'Love Clonmel' posters that's the Chamber of Commerce. As a retailer in the town I actually think it's a nice thing for them to do. One of the people working there was in with me dropping off the poster and he made a very good point that we need to encourage people to shop locally all year round and not just at Christmas. God knows we could all do with more money in at the end of the day at this time of year. So, say what you like about the Chambers (and many of us have in the past) at least they are spending a few quid to promote the concept locally and getting people to think about the impact of their spending decisions. And also, I'm not a member, but at least they're not self appointed - they've been in town as long as I can remember and I'd know a few people on the committee. So credit where it's due. They've been very active in the past 4/5 years in the town.

I was at the meeting regarding the development plan in the Town Hall and it was well run by the County Counil person. We were broken into groups - my group was pretty good actually. All the groups mentioned that parking was an issue and I think it is right. The sooner the multi storey at Mary Street gets built the better.

Finally, on an unrelated note very sorry to hear about Elvis Fallon. A good oul Clonmel man! RIP Anthony.

Advertisement