Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hows the Junction festival going? Seems extremely low key?

I've been to a couple of events (Catalpa on Sunday night and Dervla Murphy on Monday night) and they were all packed. I heard Charlois last night was fantastic and I've tickets for Frank McNally tomorrow in the Main Guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

The Busking festival will take over, it's a much better festival and seems to be enjoyed by alot more locals

snipey wrote: »
    The Busking festival will take over, it's a much better festival and seems to be enjoyed by alot more locals

I don't know if you can say it's a better festival, it's different and they're both equally good.

Catalpa on Sunday night was amazing. I really didn't want to go, I had lots on that day and the next at work, I was tired and hungover but it was the best €18 I've spent in a long time.

good to hear its going well but there should be a little more going on out in the streets to promote the festival, as in a few buskers or something lively to get the locals out, I was in Bakers on Monday night,good night had by all.

by the way who was playing in Catalpa, I could'nt imagine a big crowd would fit in there

• Advertisement

snipey wrote: »
    by the way who was playing in Catalpa, I could'nt imagine a big crowd would fit in there

Sorry, always forget there's a restaurant called Catalpa as well :)

It was a play called Catalpa (a ship that rescued IRB men in Australia and brought them back to NY) in the White Memorial. It was a one man show and he did all the characters and noises. I know that sounds weird and when it was described to me, I really struggled with getting off the couch to go but it was fantastic. Amazing actor.

I think they sometimes have music on under the arches in the Main Guard. Town seems quiet enough at night alright, maybe the drizzly weather didn't help the atmosphere though.

very good, ya I thought Catalpa restaurant would a little small.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

not sure if its just me but you would hardly notice the Junction festival occurs at all. They have a heap of sponsors listed on their website, e.g. they get 90K from the Arts Council - I don't have the first idea how much these things cost to run but I would have thought that for an event in a small town, that kind of cash would create a bit more of an impact. The acts they attract seem to be low cost, most people involved would be volunteers, most events are ticketed, I would have thought there was enough of a budget there to create a bit more of a splash-

IM not knocking the event, i think its good to make the effort, its just that it seems to have very little visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

There was a skip outside the Emerald Garden today clearing it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    There was a skip outside the Emerald Garden today clearing it out!

Renovating it I'd say. The interior hadn't changed much in all the years I've been going there.

The owner comments on this page a bit, he might shine some light on it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Renovating it I'd say. The interior hadn't changed much in all the years I've been going there.

The owner comments on this page a bit, he might shine some light on it for you.
    That was part of it's charm.:o
    Nonetheless it'll be good if they are back in business again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

not sure if its just me but you would hardly notice the Junction festival occurs at all. They have a heap of sponsors listed on their website, e.g. they get 90K from the Arts Council - I don't have the first idea how much these things cost to run but I would have thought that for an event in a small town, that kind of cash would create a bit more of an impact. The acts they attract seem to be low cost, most people involved would be volunteers, most events are ticketed, I would have thought there was enough of a budget there to create a bit more of a splash-

IM not knocking the event, i think its good to make the effort, its just that it seems to have very little visibility.

I was speaking to someone involved in the Festival Cluain Meala (inc. Busking Festival) and they were saying they don't receive such funding as its gone to the more established Junction festival so when you compare the two I believe they both have similar impact on the town yet where has the Junctions superior spend gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Would be interesting to find out how many folk would actually travel down to Clonmel for either the Junction or the Busking festivals???

Thought that most of the acts at the Junction were way over priced and aimed at a target audience only - eg who would want to pay €38 for dinner and a tribal band in the Garden Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Town is closed off for a cycle race. Barriers up all over the place but none manned by marshals. No signs around the roads to let people know where to go just signs on barriers pointing people down other roads which also end up closed. Avoid the town completely and use the bypass. And I am a cyclist myself and fully support the Suir Valley 3 day but its traffic chaos out there at the moment mainly due to lack of marshals and signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

touts wrote: »
    Town is closed off for a cycle race. Barriers up all over the place but none manned by marshals. No signs around the roads to let people know where to go just signs on barriers pointing people down other roads which also end up closed. Avoid the town completely and use the bypass. And I am a cyclist myself and fully support the Suir Valley 3 day but its traffic chaos out there at the moment mainly due to lack of marshals and signs.

Yes, agree totally. Very bad traffic management. A couple of signs here and there would make a massive difference

maybe it could be rested for the year in 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Yes, agree totally. Very bad traffic management. A couple of signs here and there would make a massive difference
    maybe it could be rested for the year in 2016?

Though traffic diversions can be annoying (I live on the route and was disrupted as well) its one weekend in 52 and I think its a great way to promote the town. Let's face it, Clonmel could do with a bit of positive marketing We should be embracing visitors/tourists and new initiatives to encourage people to the town instead of moaning about it.

I was delighted to see them in the town, cheered them on from the sidelines and hope they come again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Though traffic diversions can be annoying (I live on the route and was disrupted as well) its one weekend in 52 and I think its a great way to promote the town. Let's face it, Clonmel could do with a bit of positive marketing We should be embracing visitors/tourists and new initiatives to encourage people to the town instead of moaning about it.

I was delighted to see them in the town, cheered them on from the sidelines and hope they come again next year.

I would fully agree. It should be kept going. It's a great sporting event and something different for the town. However they need to seriously think about how they marshal and man the event. For example there was no one on the roadblock at apple green to tell people where to go. Just a sign with a diversion arrow pointing people over the convent bridge. The natural thing a lot of cars then did was turn right down Irish town only to meet another road block at the West gate and having to loop around through the carpark and back up Irishtown. One lad at Applegreen and another at the junction for Irishtown to advise people to go around on the bypass would have solved most of the problem. Also the coleville road was blocked up at the ferryhouse end even though the race wasn't on that road at all. Again no one there to let people know what was happening. Meanwhile there were lots of lads in official looking high vis vests hanging around the finish seemingly more interested in watching the races than marshalling. It's a great event for the town but Clonmel CC need to be a bit more professional on the marshalling etc.

Events like this are great for any town. I do agree with other posters re Marshalling and hope the organisers take note. It's only one day and the benefits to the town are badly needed and should be encouraged. It might be an idea for people who feel strongly enough to get involved and improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Find myself in Clonmel today, wondering where would be good to watch the rugby. It's on BBC Wales - so not every place may know how to access it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

wingnut wrote: »
    Find myself in Clonmel today, wondering where would be good to watch the rugby. It's on BBC Wales - so not every place may know how to access it.

Gleesons&Eldons are sure to have it on

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Lads - where are the best pubs to watch football in Clonmel?

Preferably not too loud or crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Lads - where are the best pubs to watch football in Clonmel?

Preferably not too loud or crazy

Careys has a nice, balanced atmosphere and so does Coopers. Gleesons will be loud no doubt and the one to avoid is Mulcahys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

uggybear wrote: »
    Careys has a nice, balanced atmosphere and so does Coopers. Gleesons will be loud no doubt and the one to avoid is Mulcahys imo.

Super thanks

Are there any old-man type spots that would show premier league football?

Shenanigans Grand quite spot

Super thanks

No "old-man type" pubs should even have a television. Just a quiet and contemplative atmosphere for the discussion of weighty matters. Mind you I don't know of any in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Super thanks

Dalys or Moynihans would be your best bets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some great music on the streets of Clonmel today,watched Loudest Whisper under the arches,great stuff.They must be together for over 40 years.

agreed - great visibility for the busking festival great music in the Dennis Burke Park today - and on a shoestring - just leaves me with more questions about what the junction festival are doing at all.

• Advertisement

The town is being buzzed at the moment by a small aircraft,

I've seen it a few times before, always in the evening.

Does anyone know who's giving the free show?

Advertisement