Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

galteeboy wrote: »
    Just wondering where in clonmel is the best to get a tattoo, flaming dice or magics.Which has the best reputation

My brother says Magic. He's been there twice and got good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

galteeboy wrote: »
    Just wondering where in clonmel is the best to get a tattoo, flaming dice or magics.Which has the best reputation
    magic is definetly the place to go for tatoos ,ive gone to both places and magic's standard is alot better in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 outabout

i ee a skills swap thread elsewhere on boards. Maybe could be useful for clonmel. Have too much free time myself lately and would be happy to do some work exchange in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Best place to get pancakes in town today? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Best place to get pancakes in town today? :)

Your house. Seriously. Flour, Milk, Eggs, Butter. And of course lemon and sugar. Easiest thing you will ever cook. For the price of 2 or 3 in a cafe you can make 20 or 30 at home AND after the first 3-4 mess ups the rest will taste better and fresher.

P.S.
    Here is a recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicpancakeswithsuga_66226

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

touts wrote: »
    Your house. Seriously. Flour, Milk, Eggs, Butter. And of course lemon and sugar. Easiest thing you will ever cook. For the price of 2 or 3 in a cafe you can make 20 or 30 at home AND after the first 3-4 mess ups the rest will taste better and fresher.

P.S.
    Here is a recipe http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicpancakeswithsuga_66226

Haha thanks for the recipe. Yes i do make pancakes myself every year but what about when your'e on lunch break from work/college and want to go eat somewhere? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

Haha thanks for the recipe. Yes i do make pancakes myself every year but what about when your'e on lunch break from work/college and want to go eat somewhere? :)

Well I'm afraid the only way to make a fair and unbiased judgement on the best would be to go to every outlet selling pancakes and try their version. If I spent the day doing that I would be in no mood to make them myself this evening and that would be a pleasure I'm not going to deny myself so I'm afraid you'll just have to pick one and hope.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I see Gavin's in Irishtown is closing down next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Thought that it was a bit strange walking past there last week with the board outside saying that the place was closing at 6pm Saturdays and Sundays.....also with the Manor/Magners up for lease etc things not looking good

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I noticed the town free WiFi is up and running. I didn't connect to it yet so can't report on speed,just saw it pop up on my phone. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brian Cleary

Well spotted Darragh! Chamber director Don Davern has been pushing this project for quite some time and has managed the process voluntarily. Credit to him on this one.

I've tested it on an ipad and mobile over the last few days and have been listening to internet radio whilst walking around town with no buffering on a 128kbps stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,726 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any info on the Paddy's day parade?

Is it on the saturday?times etc...........

Talks that five pubs are closing in Clonmel.

Plus the Mayfair has closed too, under less than "healthy" circumstances I hear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Talks that five pubs are closing in Clonmel.

Plus the Mayfair has closed too, under less than "healthy" circumstances I hear...
    what does that mean? closed by health board?

Heard from a reliable source that the lease in the Mayfaur was up for renewal and the chap who had it ( same fella who has the parnell chipper )didn't renew it. As for the pubs closing I've only heard of Gavin's in irishtown and that The Manor was for sale/ lease oh and Magners up for lease too but didn't the fella who had Magners not die a while back in an accident? I'd imagine all these pubs will reopen soon enough.

Anyone know what's happening with the Clonmel Arms? Great place in its day. Had some good sessions there. If I had money I'd buy it and reopen the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Haven't heard about the Mayfair but it seems to be going well(all the trade from O Keeffes at the weekend and the schoolkids during the day)
    The Manor & Gavins are now closed.
    The Arms is nothing but a shell now(shame) and a hangout for all the dropouts in the town.Not sure where the planning permission for major redevelopment is at.
    As for Magners,yes the Previous leaseholder died 2 years ago in an accident but his partner is now running it.
    She has no intention of giving up the lease(I asked her:))

I'm sure the closing of the old bridge had a massive influence in the manor closing. Wasn't a usual haunt of mine but I did stop in the odd time for a quiet pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Heard from a reliable source that the lease in the Mayfaur was up for renewal and the chap who had it ( same fella who has the parnell chipper )didn't renew it. As for the pubs closing I've only heard of Gavin's in irishtown and that The Manor was for sale/ lease oh and Magners up for lease too but didn't the fella who had Magners not die a while back in an accident? I'd imagine all these pubs will reopen soon enough.

Anyone know what's happening with the Clonmel Arms? Great place in its day. Had some good sessions there. If I had money I'd buy it and reopen the place.
    I was walking past the Arms a couple of weeks ago and started to think about the good nights that we had in there and the paddocks.shame how bad the place gone.

tippspur wrote: »
    I was walking past the Arms a couple of weeks ago and started to think about the good nights that we had in there and the paddocks.shame how bad the place gone.

There was some great sessions down there. Kinda miss the place. Often wondered what it would be like to go for a look around the place now. Can't imagine it's too good in there.

A cab driver told a friend that the Mayfair apparently had loads of rats in the place.

Posthouse apparently closing. Gavins and Manor were on the list. I'm not sure of the others at this minute.

Note, all above is hearsay, don't put too much stock in it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod Note: Just a reminder, folks, speculation and hearsay might make for fun conversation, but unfounded rumours about local businesses are not acceptable on this forum. It can be very damaging to a business if incorrect information is being spread about them on the 'net. Keep that in mind from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

A cab driver told a friend that the Mayfair apparently had loads of rats in the place.

Rats or not, taco chips from Mayfair after Okeeffes were amazing! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭galteeboy

Any truth that elverys is closing, heard today that was closing down in next couple of weeks. Would be a big loss as it is imo the best sport shop in town at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

DT100 wrote: »
    I see Gavin's in Irishtown is closing down next Sunday.
    Gavins is closed. was in there last week speaking to owner he got shafted by Landlord as the landlord never renewed his licence from revenue so had no option but close Gavins didnt want to close. shame landlords in town can ruin peoples lively hoods with things like that and high rents. By all accounts their landlord in a lot of finanical trouble place mightnt open for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

ciano1 wrote: »
    Rats or not, taco chips from Mayfair after Okeeffes were amazing! :p
    And you thought it was the drink that made you feel bad next day:D..Ya I heard the rreason it closed was health related..but they would say mass for ya..as the saying goes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Does anyone on here remember the phenomena of a maths teacher that was Tom Fla ?

He used to teach at the High School and was clearly the funniest teacher ever, I spent the whole year laughing at him, He had a good heart though and was an intelligent man.

Git out year cahybooks !!

Smart men !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

DT100 wrote: »
    And you thought it was the drink that made you feel bad next day:D..Ya I heard the rreason it closed was health related..but they would say mass for ya..as the saying goes....

Mayfair closing for health reasons would not surprise me one bit. For a start, I could swear they don't change the oil nearly as often as they should.

I remember a long while back, must have been around 8 years ago, I was in there ordering something during the day and this guy that I'd never seen before was behind the counter that looked like he was an inspector. He was looking around checking the utilities and all that and it's fair to say that he wasn't the least bit impressed :pac:

charlemont wrote: »
    Does anyone on here remember the phenomena of a maths teacher that was Tom Fla ?

He used to teach at the High School and was clearly the funniest teacher ever, I spent the whole year laughing at him, He had a good heart though and was an intelligent man.

What was his full name and roughly when did he retire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Blatter wrote: »
    What was his full name and roughly when did he retire?

Ah You would know Fla (Tómas O Flaherty) if you ever encountered him, A legend of a teacher, He was in the High School during the 80's and early/mid 90's, I'm sure he died around 2000.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    Ah You would know Fla (Tómas O Flaherty) if you ever encountered him, A legend of a teacher, He was in the High School during the 80's and early/mid 90's, I'm sure he died around 2000.

Ah right, I wouldn't know him so!

Advertisement