Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

dieselbug wrote: »

I wonder does anybody know the underground geological make up of Clonmel. I have heard it said that there is huge underground lake beneath the area.

So correct me if I am wrong, but as I see it two of Irelands largest bottled water companies are now located within 2 KM of each other.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Xenophile wrote: »
    I wonder does anybody know the underground geological make up of Clonmel. I have heard it said that there is huge underground lake beneath the area.

QUOTE]
    Crottys lake is supposed to be bottomless:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

All the data is available to verify (about underground lake) that but I don't know these file formats and how to open them. :(
    If anyone is able to, and understands the format information might be in ... please share, I'd love to know too.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/natural-resources/en-ie/Geological-Survey-of-Ireland/Pages/Data-Downloads.aspx#

edit : duh ! there's a link to groundwater on the left hand menu of that page, which will take you to a complicated (layered) map, showing aquifers.
    http://spatial.dcenr.gov.ie/GeologicalSurvey/Groundwater/index.html

Wiki here, if like me, you don't/didn't know what an aquifer is.

There are a lot of aquifers around alright, don't know about a "big lake" though, that doesn't really seem to be the case from what I'm seeing. (most aquifers only moderately productive)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

So correct me if I am wrong, but as I see it two of Irelands largest bottled water companies are now located within 2 KM of each other.

Bulmers do already have several wells as their process is a big water user.

There's no facility for for plastic container filling though afain so this will be a new venture for Annerville

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Does anyone know of a suitable space for an organised Park Run every Saturday morning at 9.30am.

Unfortunately there is a criteria to meet - not too many loops and it must be off road. Does anyone know if the Rugby Club or Clonmel Og use their fields every Saturday morning? I'd be surprised if they didn't but I have to ask. What about the Tech or TRBDI - do they have anything suitable?
    It doesn't have to be in Clonmel - could be the surrounds like Grange, Marlfield, etc.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Rugby Club certainly use the club anyway, not sure about the like of Clonmel Og/Commercials etc. These would involve a lot of laps in any case (maybe 10 laps)
    TRBDI is a good suggestion.
    What about Ballingarrane House or maybe the "road that goes nowhere" at the Poppyfield Roundabout ?
    Marlfield House or Knocklofty House would be another couple of options.
    Maybe a run in the woods( parking could be an issue though)

Does anyone know of a suitable space for an organised Park Run every Saturday morning at 9.30am.

Unfortunately there is a criteria to meet - not too many loops and it must be off road. Does anyone know if the Rugby Club or Clonmel Og use their fields every Saturday morning? I'd be surprised if they didn't but I have to ask. What about the Tech or TRBDI - do they have anything suitable?
    It doesn't have to be in Clonmel - could be the surrounds like Grange, Marlfield, etc.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

What about the Racecourse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

What about the Racecourse?

Closed until after the coursing but closed at weekends for the past 6 or so months anyway

Vizzy wrote: »
    Rugby Club certainly use the club anyway, not sure about the like of Clonmel Og/Commercials etc. These would involve a lot of laps in any case (maybe 10 laps)
    TRBDI is a good suggestion.
    What about Ballingarrane House or maybe the "road that goes nowhere" at the Poppyfield Roundabout ?
    Marlfield House or Knocklofty House would be another couple of options.
    Maybe a run in the woods( parking could be an issue though)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ballingarrane House (the road to no-where) the lands are leased to a farmer.

Woods sounds good. I was thinking of Carey's castle direction but not sure if suitable, might have to go and have a recce.

Marlfield House and Knocklofty are private, not sure if they'd allow a 5km run every week but definitely worth a look.

They had cross country races at TRBDI recently so might have a suitable spot - I'll chase that one up.

Many thanks and if anyone else has any ideas I'd be delighted

A River Bank Walk to Sir Thomas's Bridge and back, or park in the lay bye at the petrol station and have a footpath walk all the way back from the Gas House Bridge.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

A River Bank Walk to Sir Thomas's Bridge and back, or park in the lay bye at the petrol station and have a footpath walk all the way back from the Gas House Bridge.

One of my favourite walks!

One of my favourite walks as well, but I need a suitable venue for a run. We don't want to lose anyone in the river.

At 40 venues around the country, Park runs are held at 9.30am every Saturday (see parkrun.ie). No venue in County Tipperary has been found yet.

These are free, timed, parkland runs, organised by volunteers and they all have to follow a similar format - maximum of 2 loops, preferably not straight out and back (I thought of Cahir car park to Swiss Cottage and back but not suitable) and must be off road.

Ideally I want something like Mulcahy Park, but 10 times bigger. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Unfortunately there is a criteria to meet - not too many loops and it must be off road. Does anyone know if the Rugby Club or Clonmel Og use their fields every Saturday morning? I'd be surprised if they didn't but I have to ask. What about the Tech or TRBDI - do they have anything suitable? It doesn't have to be in Clonmel - could be the surrounds like Grange, Marlfield, etc.

Racecourse would be ideal - they might be amenable if it was put to them? You could expect a fair crowd, considering the numbers that turn out for Clonmel ACs 4k races on a Wednesday evening, 150+. Nearest Park Runs are Kilkenny and Cork city at present. Careys Castle not really a runner, parking too limited. LIT on the bypass a possibilty in the short term?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Racecourse would be ideal - they might be amenable if it was put to them? You could expect a fair crowd, considering the numbers that turn out for Clonmel ACs 4k races on a Wednesday evening, 150+. Nearest Park Runs are Kilkenny and Cork city at present. Careys Castle not really a runner, parking too limited. LIT on the bypass a possibilty in the short term?

I agree, they might facilitate the run, speak to Eugene the manager, however it won't happen until the coursing is over as they always lock up for a few weeks prior to the coursing to let the hares get used to the place.

solerina wrote: »
    I agree, they might facilitate the run, speak to Eugene the manager, however it won't happen until the coursing is over as they always lock up for a few weeks prior to the coursing to let the hares get used to the place.

They should be finished with the coursing the first week in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

From Mulcahy Park to just past 2 mile bridge and back would be 5k. Plenty of parking as well at Mulcahy Park. Racecourse would be ideal if they would open it on Saturday mornings.

Would be great if we had a parkrun in Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I agree with people who say Racecourse would be the best bet,I used to do 5 laps of that before they closed it to the public,be great if they allowed this on Saturday mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭tiegan

Great idea @It wasnt me123 think it would definitely be popular, have been hoping for a while that Clonmel would have a Park Run sooner rather than later. Will be watching this with interest.

I think if you contact Eugene at the Irish Coursing Club in Davis Road, after the 1st Feb and put a proposal to him, you might start something moving!

Great to see all the interest folks cos its volunteers that run it and whoever ends up organising it will be looking for helpers!! I was given Eugene's contact details by a boardsie so I'll be contacting him early next week with a proposal, just want to talk to Clonmel AC first so I know what I'm getting myself in for before I put my head above the parapet.

Any other ideas for venues would be appreciated. The restrictions are laid down by Parkrun - off road, not too many loops, not straight out and back, etc. I'll be trying TRBDI as well.

• Advertisement

Great to see all the interest folks cos its volunteers that run it and whoever ends up organising it will be looking for helpers!! I was given Eugene's contact details by a boardsie so I'll be contacting him early next week with a proposal, just want to talk to Clonmel AC first so I know what I'm getting myself in for before I put my head above the parapet.

Any other ideas for venues would be appreciated. The restrictions are laid down by Parkrun - off road, not too many loops, not straight out and back, etc. I'll be trying TRBDI as well.

Whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to contact Eugene until after Feb 1st! The National Coursing Festival is on Jan 29, 30 and 31st and they'll have time for little else with all the organising for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I think 2 laps and a bit of the racecourse is 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sour Memoirs

Correct Tippspur,

Even on the outside ambulance track you need to do a little more than two laps.
    Starting from the stable yard entrance, back as far as the crown of the home turn makes 5k.

tippspur wrote: »
    I think 2 laps and a bit of the racecourse is 5k

One circuit is 1.25 miles.

Maryanne,

The 1.25 miles (1mile 2furlongs) relates to the distance the horses run, which I'm fairly sure is measured one or two yards out from the inside running rail.

Maryanne,

The 1.25 miles (1mile 2furlongs) relates to the distance the horses run, which I'm fairly sure is measured one or two yards out from the inside running rail.

The outside, concrete track is much wider out so obviously longer.

You can always take a detour around the "parade ring", no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

You can always take a detour around the "parade ring", no pun intended.

When I was running it my app reckoned it was just over two laps to reach 5km

True, a few mini laps around that would bring it up.

• Advertisement

Maryanne,

The outside, concrete track is much wider out so obviously longer.

Would they be running on the road or on the course? I thought it was offroad running?

Advertisement