Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Loughc wrote: »
    Iceland booted Kerry Katona as the face of Iceland long ago, they now use Peter André and Stacy Solomon and now my skin is crawling due to the fact I knew this.

I knew they had booted her but the point still stands that the very fact they chose her in the first place, demonstrated the market segment they were and obviously still are aiming for.

The job losses last time saddened me but I wasn't sad to see the retailer themselves go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Oh I don't know, they stock a frozen 'Kebab Pizza', which is apparently the best selling thing in Iceland.

Classy or 'wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I really hope Iceland doesn't open again. I'm all for jobs in the area but there's a reason they chose Kerry Katona as their 'public face'...

"That's why mums go to Iceland"?, more like "That's why chavs go to Iceland "!

I can't think of anything more down market and Clonmel is bad enough as it is :(
    That's a ridiculous reason for not wanting a new business to come to a Town:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,597 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I knew they had booted her but the point still stands that the very fact they chose her in the first place, demonstrated the market segment they were and obviously still are aiming for.

The job losses last time saddened me but I wasn't sad to see the retailer themselves go.

Nothing wrong with choosing any of the three to be a representative to be fair.

They don't lie to themselves or others that it is a store for working class "normal" people.

Kerry Katona at the time was still very much liked by your working class citizen (did Asda too I believe) and of course winning I'm A Celebrity shows this in a way. They got out at the right time with her however due to drug use.

Peter Andre is universally liked and was a good choice I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

callaway92 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with choosing any of the three to be a representative to be fair.

They don't lie to themselves or others that it is a store for working class "normal" people.

Kerry Katona at the time was still very much liked by your working class citizen (did Asda too I believe) and of course winning I'm A Celebrity shows this in a way. They got out at the right time with her however due to drug use.

Peter Andre is universally liked and was a good choice I think :)
    Some people have a deep need to look down on those they consider beneath them

• Advertisement

rucksack wrote: »
    Some people have a deep need to look down on those they consider beneath them

The late great 2 Ronnies come to mind! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2k1iRD2f-c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

In Colour.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Good to see Iceland reopening for both the shopping center and for employment. Some very strange stuff posted here on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Good to see Iceland reopening for both the shopping center and for employment. Some very strange stuff posted here on occasion.

It's strange alright. Another shop, another option for shoppers, more jobs created in an area of high enough unemployment, more rates been paid to the council, more rent for the shopping centre, and it's a bad thing to some people! Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

Joke:

What was the old name for Sri Lanka?
    Ceylon

What was the old name for Iceland?
    Bejam.

(maybe some research required)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Where do I get my car cleaned inside and out at good price in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

I really hope Iceland doesn't open again. I'm all for jobs in the area but there's a reason they chose Kerry Katona as their 'public face'...

"That's why mums go to Iceland"?, more like "That's why chavs go to Iceland "!

I can't think of anything more down market and Clonmel is bad enough as it is :(

:pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

There's a detailer at the gas house bridge - I haven't been there but they are always busy so that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That's Simons. They're very good, done my car a couple of times. Great if all you want is a standard valet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

There's a guy on the Quay and he's very good and fairly reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I got a jeep with a really dirty interior done by Keith Harvey in Ballypatrick, good job and reasonable.

Let me know if you want his number.

How much do they charge? That's right before the bridge right?
    F34 wrote: »
    There's a guy on the Quay and he's very good and fairly reasonable

How much do they charge? That's right before the bridge right?

€60 for a regular valet €90 if you want car polished etc. Very busy so you'd need to book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Max on the Quay did a great job on my car recently. 80 euro I think but the car looked like new afterward. He's beside the fish shop there near the road up to the friary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Where would you get a colour poster A1 in size printed in Clonmel? Thanks

davidk1394 wrote: »

Try Dowlings in Parnell Street or sure Print in Wellington Street.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

davidk1394 wrote: »

Sureprint down by the courthouse do all that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

Elaborate plans for the LIT campus on the bypass (the original one across from Clonmel Og).

According to the PP sign at the gate, a full scale sports complex with running track,pavilion, skateboard park, elevated seating, adventure playground, floodlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

cml387 wrote: »
    Elaborate plans for the LIT campus on the bypass (the original one across from Clonmel Og).

According to the PP sign at the gate, a full scale sports complex with running track,pavilion, skateboard park, elevated seating, adventure playground, floodlights.

Details here.

Just to let people know that I haven't totally given up on the idea of a Parkrun in Clonmel and would still welcome any ideas anyone has. Powerstown Racecourse didn't end up being an option - they let groups use it for "one off" fun runs - but not a permanent, weekly run. I was out in Glencarra Woods today - they have some looped walks, including a 5km loop which I thought might be suitable. The area is lovely and not far from Clonmel but there is only parking for 3 cars and the path is not wide enough - in some spots two people couldn't walk abreast. Anyone know of any other wood walks? What about the greyhound track - is there a path around the outside of that? Any information would be appreciated.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What about the track at Dr Pat O'Callaghan's sport centre. It's used by the athletics club in sure they'd be interested in getting something going or pointing you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

The greyhound track is only about 400m (probably less) as is the Dr O Callaghan complex track.
    Racetrack is the obvious choice - I think that the Cycle Club run an underage league there on Monday nights.
    Not sure how familiar you are with the forests around the town, but there are literally hundreds of km of tracks that zig zag through them. Many of them are loops. Biggest problem will be parking though - there will only be parking for maybe 3 or 4 cars at the forestry gates.
    One loop that immediately springs to mind is a 5 km "in and out" route which has a loop as well. You basically go in 1.5 km, then enter the loop of about 2km, then back on to the 1.5km route (if that make sense). All on forest fire road with a fairly good surface and a couple of nice climbs.
    How does that sound ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    The greyhound track is only about 400m (probably less) as is the Dr O Callaghan complex track.
    Racetrack is the obvious choice - I think that the Cycle Club run an underage league there on Monday nights.
    Not sure how familiar you are with the forests around the town, but there are literally hundreds of km of tracks that zig zag through them. Many of them are loops. Biggest problem will be parking though - there will only be parking for maybe 3 or 4 cars at the forestry gates.
    One loop that immediately springs to mind is a 5 km "in and out" route which has a loop as well. You basically go in 1.5 km, then enter the loop of about 2km, then back on to the 1.5km route (if that make sense). All on forest fire road with a fairly good surface and a couple of nice climbs.
    How does that sound ?

Parkrun don't want loops or straight out and back so Dr O'Callaghan complex or greyhound track not suitable. I'm not that familiar with the forests around the town, but I like the sound of the 5km in/out route - would there be parking, or relatively near to a place where parking is available and people can walk to the start. Forest fire road sounds great, nice and wide and a reasonable surface - people with all levels of fitness hopefully will participate so I'm trying to get somewhere that suits all.

The Clonmel AC/tri club/cycle club are setting up a sports complex over at the LIT campus on the bypass, and there will be a 5km loop all around the inside of the complex grounds and that might eventually be a good place but in the meantime a forest run would be great.

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Auction signs up on Lonergan's Bar in O'Connell Street; its been coming for a long time but I still think its sad to see.

Advertisement