Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Four new jobs for Clonmel, thanks to Alan Kelly, Tipps most famous son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Four new jobs for Clonmel, thanks to Alan Kelly, Tipps most famous son.

I would not go that far,

Maybe Tipp people of the century so far.

1 Alan AK47 Kelly
    2 Eoin Kelly

Most famous person Tipp person of the 19th. century.
    Ned Kelly

These Kelly's seem to have some bottle.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I saw some road marking workers or possibly resurfacing workers on the Cashel Rd. earlier today - all the vehicles were UK registered. Can we not award these contracts to folks closer to home?

It always amazes me when I see workers vans at the Showgrounds doing a job in there, always UK registered - possibly a contract thing with M&S etc. but I can't believe its more cost effective to sends lads on a ferry or at best drive all the way from the North to here to do a job.

I saw some road marking workers or possibly resurfacing workers on the Cashel Rd. earlier today - all the vehicles were UK registered. Can we not award these contracts to folks closer to home?

It always amazes me when I see workers vans at the Showgrounds doing a job in there, always UK registered - possibly a contract thing with M&S etc. but I can't believe its more cost effective to sends lads on a ferry or at best drive all the way from the North to here to do a job.

Maybe they offered the best value for money and the ability to do the work on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Maybe they offered the best value for money and the ability to do the work on time.

That's exactly the situation, and we are governed by EU procurement regulations

• Advertisement

best value for money

When you factor in transport costs of teams vehicles and equipment from UK as well as lodging for the workers while here, either these lads are being paid very little or local crews are on big bucks.

When you factor in transport costs of teams vehicles and equipment from UK as well as lodging for the workers while here, either these lads are being paid very little or local crews are on big bucks.

Maybe the company is here for other contracts. Apart from that Irish contractors have not yet got back on their feet after the downturn, many of them went into liquidation.

Apart from that many Irish companies got good contracts in the UK during the good times, and many Irish companies will soon get more work it the UK again.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Maybe the company is here for other contracts. Apart from that Irish contractors have not yet got back on their feet after the downturn, many of them went into liquidation.

Apart from that many Irish companies got good contracts in the UK during the good times, and many Irish companies will soon get more work it the UK again.

Dunno that they just happened to be over here - the tendering process takes months - of course what ever about the multitude of possiblities you can think of, my original point remains - it's sad and a bit strange that a public job that local companies can do is being done by a UK company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I've heard there is uproar locally due to the work on the Cashel Road not being tendered out publicly. Some company from mayo I believe were 'awarded' the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Coastguard helicopter is circling the summit of Slievenamon this evening with a searchlight. Hope whoever they are looking for is safe.

• Advertisement

Dunno that they just happened to be over here - the tendering process takes months - of course what ever about the multitude of possiblities you can think of, my original point remains - it's sad and a bit strange that a public job that local companies can do is being done by a UK company.

They may have tendered for many contracts here ! I wonder what company installed the traffic lights and footpath on the railway bridge going towards Powerstown, it took months to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

If anyone is running the Annerville 10km on Sunday, due to a funeral its starting at the earlier time of 1.15pm. Entries will be taken from 10am on Sunday morning at The VEC on The Mall this coming Sunday. €10 entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

sillymoo wrote: »
    Coastguard helicopter is circling the summit of Slievenamon this evening with a searchlight. Hope whoever they are looking for is safe.
    Gorse fires up there tonight.

Just heard a woman was rescued up there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Heard this morning that a dead body was found in the Clonmel Arms during the week. I'd heard that the place was being frequented by a few people. Its really time something was done about this place, I cant imagine that an ambulance crew would be able to reach someone in trouble even if they did make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

There is major infrastructure project going on in the UK near where I mainly work and the main contractors are Irish. Welcome to a globalised world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

tippspur wrote: »
    Gorse fires up there tonight.

Just heard a woman was rescued up there also.

Saw the gorse fire up there yesterday afternoon. The helicopter landed/hovered about 21.30 then took off the direction of Waterford. Must have been rescuing the woman. Met the mountain rescue jeep coming down the mountain then later on. Hopefully the woman is ok.

Heard this morning that a dead body was found in the Clonmel Arms during the week. I'd heard that the place was being frequented by a few people. Its really time something was done about this place, I cant imagine that an ambulance crew would be able to reach someone in trouble even if they did make the call.

It was Ted Channon's son, Christopher. He was often seen outside St. Peter & Pauls on a Sunday. The place attracts the homeless and drug addicts, etc, the owners should be made to secure it properly. Pity the council can't do a CPO and turn it into something worthwhile for teenagers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Pity the council can't do a CPO and turn it into something worthwhile for teenagers, etc.

Something worthwhile? Like a hotel, apartments, retail space and car park? Anything worthwhile has been shot down and until people stop thinking small will continue to be.

There is major infrastructure project going on in the UK near where I mainly work and the main contractors are Irish. Welcome to a globalised world.

And I'm sure there are locals thinking the same as we are here - why is a Brit company not doing it. Maybe these lads on the cashel road could do it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

It was Ted Channon's son, Christopher. He was often seen outside St. Peter & Pauls on a Sunday. The place attracts the homeless and drug addicts, etc, the owners should be made to secure it properly. Pity the council can't do a CPO and turn it into something worthwhile for teenagers, etc.
    Are people squatting there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

rucksack wrote: »
    Are people squatting there?

I believe there are a few long term tenants there alright. I've seen the doors open a few times and was often tempted to have a quick look around for old times sake but I'd be afraid what I'd meet in there..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see the 1.50 shop or whatever it's called in the ormonde centre closed down on staturday, it's fully stocked and only a message scribbled on a piece of paper was stuck to the window so I guess it was a pretty sudden closure. The entrance to 6th sense clothes shop from the mall is closed so now it's a glorified walk way to the old tesco carpark, grim stuff.
    Speaking of the old tesco car park the new system is taking place from the 23rd of May, they've lose a few car spaces there since they re done which is very annoying as parking in the town is bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

New traffic warden in Clonmel causing a bit of a stir to say the least,lots of angry motorists on fb giving out.;)

New traffic warden in Clonmel causing a bit of a stir to say the least,lots of angry motorists on fb giving out.;)

You mean he's doing his job? I hope he gets the feckers double parked down O'Connell Street and outside Permanent TSB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I presume that these motorists are legally parked and have a good reason to be angry ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Noticed 2 new digital speed indicators near Park Hotel and texaco petrol pump (Cahir road).

But are there speed cameras also? Because people were going in 60s...

Noticed 2 new digital speed indicators near Park Hotel and texaco petrol pump (Cahir road).

But are there speed cameras also? Because people were going in 60s...

No not speed cameras, that would be too much like common sense. I like them, there are new speed indicators all over the town, including Cashel Road hill. it does make you check your speed and more importantly, highlights your speed to all around you. I personally think there should be static speed cameras because we just don't have enough gardai on the roads to catch the habitual speedsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No surprise there...he is as rigid as a steel girder !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Well I don't see the point if there aren't speed cameras. Because people infront of me going in 60s , I am going at 45-50 and people behind me don't look happy that I am going on 45 only.

Best would be if these speed indicators are connected to some traffic control office who could issue fine to those going above limit. what do you say?

I know near park there is a sign "Hidden Camera" and people are going on limit
    No not speed cameras, that would be too much like common sense. I like them, there are new speed indicators all over the town, including Cashel Road hill. it does make you check your speed and more importantly, highlights your speed to all around you. I personally think there should be static speed cameras because we just don't have enough gardai on the roads to catch the habitual speedsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

Well I don't see the point if there aren't speed cameras. Because people infront of me going in 60s , I am going at 45-50 and people behind me don't look happy that I am going on 45 only.

Best would be if these speed indicators are connected to some traffic control office who could issue fine to those going above limit. what do you say?

I know near park there is a sign "Hidden Camera" and people are going on limit

Feck the people who don't look happy behind you, nothing worse than some arsehole tailgating you.

I imagine it would be a big cost to set up multiple speed cameras in these zones, the speed readers, if that's what you want to call them, would cost less I imagine as they don't have to transmit or record the data. I guess there is data around that proves those speed readers work, when I pass it going over the limit I will slow down anyways.

Advertisement