Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Damn shame to see the barracks closing.

This image made the hairs on my neck stand up. Old guard saluting the young guard. Great picture IMO.

Army-8093.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

An ex employee of the Mayfair told me it closed because the lad who leased it also owns the Parnell Grill. He probably ran the Mayfair into the ground before the lease ran out or he was thrown out for letting it get so bad. After 50 odd years in Clonmel the place may very well never recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It's a disgrace the the barracks is closing down,shame on the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

tippspur wrote: »
    It's a disgrace the the barracks is closing down,shame on the Government.

We're just not winning as many wars as we used to, it's not economical anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭john 08

callaway92 wrote: »
    they are looking for employees..notice in shop. poppyfields

would you know where and when its opening :confused: ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

john 08 wrote: »
    would you know where and when its opening :confused: ??

Its going in to the unit previously occupied by Tubs n Tiles, beside the toy shop, i just Googled Maxi Zoo Clonmel and it just says "coming soon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

RobAMerc wrote: »
    An ex employee of the Mayfair told me it closed because the lad who leased it also owns the Parnell Grill. He probably ran the Mayfair into the ground before the lease ran out or he was thrown out for letting it get so bad. After 50 odd years in Clonmel the place may very well never recover.

It was open again for a litle while,but passing today it seem's closed again.I didnt know Cranes bar on the Bridge was closed,was told today,The 19th hole is closing.But Allen's/Gavins is opening up again,the guy who ran the pizza shop beside it,is taking over.Nothing but bad news:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Royco

Mayfair closed again not good must be a serious problem there with owner shame one of the best stands in town. Allens opening again the polish are taken it over That wont last long, think that place is ruined since devanes bought it. Shame to see creans gone must have being oldest pub in clonmel alot more to follow id say Pubs are in serious trouble all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Is Creans closed for good or just while the works bein done on the bridge? That part was inaccessible for a long time. Plus from the oldbridge side you still have to go into town and come from the other side to get there.

Which polish crowd is taking over allens? Is it the crowd that took over old morans?

As for the mayfair, some fella from Waterford had it recently apparently but it only opened for 2-3 weeks and closed again. Word on the street is €800 a week would lease it for ya.

Is Creans closed for good or just while the works bein done on the bridge? That part was inaccessible for a long time. Plus from the oldbridge side you still have to go into town and come from the other side to get there.

Which polish crowd is taking over allens? Is it the crowd that took over old morans?

As for the mayfair, some fella from Waterford had it recently apparently but it only opened for 2-3 weeks and closed again. Word on the street is €800 a week would lease it for ya.
    Creans is closed for good, was speaking to Mary Crean she said the bridge closure had taken its toll on the business plus all the works have damaged the structure of the pub as well as the economic climate affectting business.
    Allens is being run by another polish crowd different to Morans.

• Advertisement

Royco wrote: »
    Creans is closed for good, was speaking to Mary Crean she said the bridge closure had taken its toll on the business plus all the works have damaged the structure of the pub as well as the economic climate affectting business.
    Allens is being run by another polish crowd different to Morans.

I'd hope the creans will get some compensation for the loss of business. Nicest people you could meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'd hope the creans will get some compensation for the loss of business. Nicest people you could meet.

He had the best opening hours of any pub around.:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

charlemont wrote: »
    He had the best opening hours of any pub around.:D:cool:

Always good for a flagon of cider at 2am.
    Some friends used to rent the redbrick house just down from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

yeah they are in there with over a month..must be waiting for a licence....they WILL be waiting from what i hear if that landlord who runned half the town has anything to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

As many of us in Clonmel know there was great opposition to the household charge from a very well organised local political group based in Clonmel.

What I would like to know, did this group provide any assistance to their supporters who for one reason or another wanted to register, waiver or no waiver or pay the charge for their own peace of mind.

Secondly why did Clonmel Borough Council and South Tipperary County Council allow posters urging people not to pay the charge display posters throughout the town. After all the revenue being generated is going to these very same local authorities.

Keep in mind that a business in Clonmel already paying heavy rates displayed a poster promoting their business would be subject to heavy fines if they attempted to promote their business in this manner.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Xenophile wrote: »
    As many of us in Clonmel know there was great opposition to the household charge from a very well organised local political group based in Clonmel.

What I would like to know, did this group provide any assistance to their supporters who for one reason or another wanted to register, waiver or no waiver or pay the charge for their own peace of mind.

Secondly why did Clonmel Borough Council and South Tipperary County Council allow posters urging people not to pay the charge display posters throughout the town. After all the revenue being generated is going to these very same local authorities.

Keep in mind that a business in Clonmel already paying heavy rates displayed a poster promoting their business would be subject to heavy fines if they attempted to promote their business in this manner.
    Aren't some members of the county council opposed to the charge?

o m g i m so mad anybody in that pub with no name yet.....go on any please just start me off..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Xenophile wrote: »

that is done by some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

copy1 wrote: »
    o m g i m so mad anybody in that pub with no name yet.....go on any please just start me off..........
    what pub?

Where are we talking about?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know who owns the mayfair? friend of mine looking to go into business and would fancy a pop at that.

Does anyone know who owns the mayfair? friend of mine looking to go into business and would fancy a pop at that.

Call into the chap who owns the Parnell chipper he'll put you right.

irishtown pub went in there at wkend some joke

irishtown pub went in there at wkend some joke
    Oh your talking about devanes, myself and a few mates went in easter sun should be called pub with no beer, (instead of pub with no name) was told cant sell beer we've no licence by a polish girl behind counter said its food only place. some changes in that place from Allens, shame

funny that i had pint but had to give back...rotten..as for food i had to pay in advance before i could see it...great day for me and my family for a treat NOT.

Any one confirm any truth to rumour theres a bar going into railway station, nice to be able get a pint waiting for a bus or train like in most towns as i'm a frequent traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Any one confirm any truth to rumour theres a bar going into railway station, nice to be able get a pint waiting for a bus or train like in most towns as i'm a frequent traveller.

I believe there is a bar of sorts going in there, in that the ONE (Organisation of National Ex-Servicemen) have acquired part of the building for a social club.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

funny that i had pint but had to give back...rotten..as for food i had to pay in advance before i could see it...great day for me and my family for a treat NOT.

1998 comedy is BACK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭nowayjosie

Oh your talking about devanes, myself and a few mates went in easter sun should be called pub with no beer, (instead of pub with no name) was told cant sell beer we've no licence by a polish girl behind counter said its food only place. some changes in that place from Allens, shame

There's wicked changes in Clonmel not just that pub - but thats what happens when thousands of new people move to a small place like Clonmel - the whole place changes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

archtech wrote: »
    I believe there is a bar of sorts going in there, in that the ONE (Organisation of National Ex-Servicemen) have acquired part of the building for a social club.

A mess, like the one that was in Kickham Barracks?

Advertisement