Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

I'd prefer a friend who talks sense any day!
    Not many of them in the world

He never said that he asked a question about council estates and the high horse brigade rode into town.
    If ye were unable to address the question asked why reply.

I think if you read all the posts, you will find that we were pointing out that you go on a waiting list, not go around looking for empty houses and asking the Council if you could have one. It was also pointed out that Council estates, as they used be are no more. Many people have bought their houses out. The newer estates are a mixture of private and social housing, so it's not easy for a person to tell who owns what.

Bump... think this got lost in HouseGate :D Any recommendations? Thanks!

Can't remember seeing any in ages. Maybe keep an eye on the local services section of the Nationalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

I think if you read all the posts, you will find that we were pointing out that you go on a waiting list, not go around looking for empty houses and asking the Council if you could have one. It was also pointed out that Council estates, as they used be are no more. Many people have bought their houses out. The newer estates are a mixture of private and social housing, so it's not easy for a person to tell who owns what.

Did you read it ? he said he knew how the system works all he wanted was a heads up on where some houses might be available. A simple enough question if you knew you could have posted if you didn't fair enough.
    There was absolutely no need to come across with the we know all, you can't do it that way attitude.
    There's nothing wrong with been proactive in these situations and been armed with as much information as you can gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Did you read it ? he said he knew how the system works all he wanted was a heads up on where some houses might be available. A simple enough question if you knew you could have posted if you didn't fair enough.
    There was absolutely no need to come across with the we know all, you can't do it that way attitude.
    There's nothing wrong with been proactive in these situations and been armed with as much information as you can gather.

His/Her question was kind of hard to answer tough to be honest. In most towns I know the older council housing estates have lately being bought by the tenants and newer developments have a mix of private and social housing.
    So if Clonmel is the same. The OP was basically asking for list of nearly every estate/street in the town and even by driving around the town how would they know if a house that looked vacant was private/council by looking at it.

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is you didn't have an answer to his question so why then reply and pour scorn on his very admirable attempts to help a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭copy1

Anybody any news from Clonmel???lets move on people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

So what you're saying is you didn't have an answer to his question so why then reply and pour scorn on his very admirable attempts to help a friend

Yes I've an answer to the OP's question. There's older council estates which have being bought by there residents and in newer estates there's a mix of social and council housing. I also said that he wouldn't know if a vacant house was a council or private house by looking at it. This is a realistic answer in my opinion.

Bump... think this got lost in HouseGate :D Any recommendations? Thanks!

Bernard doyle had a shop for many years across from the credit union,and did repairs.The shop is closed now,but a while back I saw an advert saying he still did repairs..it was in the free paper..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The answers that poster got were appropriate and given in a respectful tone with good intentions. He/she then proceeded to get defensive for some reason, most likely because he/she failed to comprehend the replies correctly and/or suffers from severe bouts of paranoia.

• Advertisement

I agree..the replies explained the correct way to go about looking for a house,and you cant just go
    out,pick a house/area,abd ring up and say you want that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

BUT, and I promise this will be my last word on the subject, I didn't need to know how to go about getting a house, I just wanted to know where the council estates were - the established ones, not every street in the town, or the new estates with mixed housing, just the known housing estates. If people didn't know, they needn't have posted - the other posters just assumed I didn't know the system, I just wanted info, that was all. Not a whole load of "you can't do that". When you speak to the housing department they do ask you what area would you like (depending on schools, work, etc), I just wanted information. Anyway, my friends are grand, hopefully will be sorted soon and I do appreciate the information I got.

BUT, and I promise this will be my last word on the subject, I didn't need to know how to go about getting a house, I just wanted to know where the council estates were - the established ones, not every street in the town, or the new estates with mixed housing, just the known housing estates. If people didn't know, they needn't have posted - the other posters just assumed I didn't know the system, I just wanted info, that was all. Not a whole load of "you can't do that". When you speak to the housing department they do ask you what area would you like (depending on schools, work, etc), I just wanted information. Anyway, my friends are grand, hopefully will be sorted soon and I do appreciate the information I got.

That makes things clearer. As already said, there are no Council estates any more. You might have gotten better answers if you had asked what Estates to avoid, but we would all have been banned for life if we answered that!

Out of interest, anyone know how long the housing list is now in the Clonmel area?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Can anyone recommend a radio/stereo/CD repair in Clonmel? I have a fairly good unit but it's out of guarantee, so I'd like to see if it can be fixed, rather than replaced.

Thanks!

Bernard Doyle ex Parnell Sreet.

Now Mountain Road.

Mobile......085 108 5340

Land Line..................052 612 2170

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Xenophile wrote: »
    Bernard Doyle ex Parnell Sreet.

Now Mountain Road.

Mobile......085 108 5340

Land Line..................052 612 2170

I remember the shop that used to be there - thanks for the contact details!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

That makes things clearer. As already said, there are no Council estates any more. You might have gotten better answers if you had asked what Estates to avoid, but we would all have been banned for life if we answered that!

Out of interest, anyone know how long the housing list is now in the Clonmel area?

About 600 in Clonmel and another 200 if you include outlying areas like Cahir,Kilsheelan, Clerihan etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

Anyplace in Clonmel who does an all day breakfast on Sunday apart from Rockin' Joe's?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

anon71 wrote: »
    Anyplace in Clonmel who does an all day breakfast on Sunday apart from Rockin' Joe's?

There always McDonald's.

Actually you can try the hotels, they'll let you in for breakfast usually if you agree to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Could anyone recommend a driver instructor in clonmel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭klose

All in all wrote: »

Noel Keeley taught me, absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone know what rate Hydrotec pay for floor workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

All in all wrote: »

Drive Rite. Michael is excellent, tried someone else for a few lessons before him and the difference was crazy. Can't recommend him highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I notice the Junction Festival are (now) a registered charity - anybody know if this was always the case and how it's possible that they are regarded as such?

I also notice they have new signage on the approaches to town under existing permanent signs and afixed to these sign's posts - are there not supposed to be some planning permission hoops to jump through to allow this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Any idea where I could get waist thread for joggers? (The thread which is around the waist to tighten up the joggers)
    Lost it during drying on my new joggers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Any idea where I could get waist thread for joggers? (The thread which is around the waist to tighten up the joggers)
    I'm not 100% sure what you are looking for but I would imagine that the sewing shop on O'Connell Street beside Pennys is your best bet for threads of any description.

Try the knitting shop in the old cinema, by M & S

Feck sake ladies he's not looking for thread he's looking for the cord that goes in the waistband of a tracksuit.
    At least that's what I got from his post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

Buy a cheap pair the same colour..use the cord...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Feck sake ladies he's not looking for thread he's looking for the cord that goes in the waistband of a tracksuit.
    At least that's what I got from his post

And where apart from a sewing shop would you expect to find cotton cord?

Advertisement