Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Myself and neighbour don't have electricity.
    Is it down in whole clonmel?

Myself and neighbour don't have electricity.
    Is it down in whole clonmel?

About 2000 people without power due to a problem in the old spa road of Clonmel...Power will be back as soon as possible..Seamus Healy posted that in FB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Do we know what O'Gormans objected to and maybe An Bord Pleanala will throw it out. I'm not a lover of O'Gorman's, too dark and dingy for my tastes but depending on their objection, surely a local business or person is allowed to make an objection to a planning objection? If its a spurious objection then I'd be making them foot any costs.
    you will find it at http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/16600208/0 Look under scanned files
    Briefly O'Gorman's are concerned re flooding of the basement and that there are a proliferation of coffee shops in the vicinity of O'connell Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

you will find it at http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/16600208/0 Look under scanned files
    Briefly O'Gorman's are concerned re flooding of the basement and that there are a proliferation of coffee shops in the vicinity of O'connell Street

Thanks for that.

Not sure what the flooding of a different store has to do with them. There isn't a proliferation of coffee shops in the vicinity of O'Connell Street. O'Gormans, Buttermarket, Vanilla (coyles café) and hewitts. O'Gormans are the only ones on O'Connell Street and obviously they want to preserve that. I hope they get planning permission - O'Gormans shouldn't be allowed to make an objection purely on commercial/profit reasons.

Thanks for that.

Not sure what the flooding of a different store has to do with them. There isn't a proliferation of coffee shops in the vicinity of O'Connell Street. O'Gormans, Buttermarket, Vanilla (coyles café) and hewitts. O'Gormans are the only ones on O'Connell Street and obviously they want to preserve that. I hope they get planning permission - O'Gormans shouldn't be allowed to make an objection purely on commercial/profit reasons.
    read the letter at the link it gives more details. one is no flood asessment was done. i agree they are just afraid of the competition and hope the new place gets pp.

• Advertisement

read the letter at the link it gives more details. one is no flood asessment was done. i agree they are just afraid of the competition and hope the new place gets pp.

Wouldn't the flood relief works eliminate or at least reduce the risk of flooding? Would they need use the cellar? Would love to see a bright decent coffee shop on O'Connell Street. Mind you, it's so long since I was in O'Gormans that they might have brightened it up a bit!

Wouldn't the flood relief works eliminate or at least reduce the risk of flooding? Would they need use the cellar? Would love to see a bright decent coffee shop on O'Connell Street. Mind you, it's so long since I was in O'Gormans that they might have brightened it up a bit!
    Did you read O'Gorman's appeal at the planning link? As far as i can understand the basements still flood that is O'Gormans point. The planning file would say if they intend to use the cellar

Did you read O'Gorman's appeal at the planning link? As far as i can understand the basements still flood that is O'Gormans point. The planning file would say if they intend to use the cellar

For some reason I couldn't read any of the documents. If I zoomed in, they got distorted and as they were, too small!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Clonmel Old Stock trying to eliminate competition ref O'Gormans I would say....

On another note - fantastic to see the amount raised for Crumlin by the busking festival

For some reason I couldn't read any of the documents. If I zoomed in, they got distorted and as they were, too small!
    use the % dropdown . try 25% or 50% or fit width/window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Thanks very much for all the replies. I respect everyones entitlement to object, but it has to be for the right reasons. Would O Gormans put in the same objection about flooding if it was a clothing store opening? I don't think they would. These kind of objections are holding up town and city centre rejuvenation. This building in particular needs a major revamp & hasn't been able to keep a long term tenant in it. When Aldi looked for planning in Cahir, Supervalu in Cahir objected to it. Scared again of loosing customers. The opposite happened for Supervalu. When Aldi opened in Cahir, people stayed in the town & attracted more people in.Supervalu benefited from this & have increased customers which let to them expanding their store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

From St Marys down to the main guard how many establishments sell tea/coffee?
    Not just cafe's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I would like to take the focus of quantity and put instead on quality.

Three coffee shops that I am aware of open at 8.30 and offer a nice cooked full Irish or Mini Irish breakfast.

Of these Niamh's would be my favourite !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Maymack wrote: »
    Thanks very much for all the replies. I respect everyones entitlement to object, but it has to be for the right reasons. Would O Gormans put in the same objection about flooding if it was a clothing store opening? I don't think they would. These kind of objections are holding up town and city centre rejuvenation. This building in particular needs a major revamp & hasn't been able to keep a long term tenant in it. When Aldi looked for planning in Cahir, Supervalu in Cahir objected to it. Scared again of loosing customers. The opposite happened for Supervalu. When Aldi opened in Cahir, people stayed in the town & attracted more people in.Supervalu benefited from this & have increased customers which let to them expanding their store.

They probably would. Don't they own a clothes shop a couple of doors down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Xenophile wrote: »
    I would like to take the focus of quantity and put instead on quality.

Three coffee shops that I am aware of open at 8.30 and offer a nice cooked full Irish or Mini Irish breakfast.

Of these Niamh's would be my favourite !

I think Stalin covered it with the quote
    "Quantity is its own quality".

Check the census guys the population of Clonmel has changed very little.
    Too many chasing too few methinks.

I think Stalin covered it with the quote
    "Quantity is its own quality".

Check the census guys the population of Clonmel has changed very little.
    Too many chasing too few methinks.

It's not only Clonmel people who use Coffee Shops and other retail outlets in the town! Us country bumpkins venture into "town" every week or so and would love an ould cup of tea when we've finished spending our wages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Check the census guys the population of Clonmel has changed very little.Too many chasing too few methinks.

The census has little or nothing to do with it, more important to look at the map and see the rich hinterland and satellite towns that surround Clonmel, namely Fethard, Cahir, Cashel, Ardfinnan, Clogheen, Kilsheelan, Rathgormack Grangemockler, Mullinahone, etc., and of course many from Carrick on Suir favour Clonmel over Waterford for a shopping experience. And again many from Dungarvan, Cappoquin and Lismore love coming to Clonmel and would rank it as their favourite shopping town.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Xenophile wrote: »
    The census has little or nothing to do with it, more important to look at the map and see the rich hinterland and satellite towns that surround Clonmel, namely Fethard, Cahir, Cashel, Ardfinnan, Clogheen, Kilsheelan, Rathgormack Grangemockler, Mullinahone, etc., and of course many from Carrick on Suir favour Clonmel over Waterford for a shopping experience. And again many from Dungarvan, Cappoquin and Lismore love coming to Clonmel and would rank it as their favourite shopping town.

I spent a good bit of time in Fermoy a few years back and was really surprised at how popular Clonmel is for shopping down there. Loads of people enjoyed going to Clonmel for the "shopping experience"

Hopefully the retailers of Clonmel appreciate how lucky they are to have this popularity and dont take their finger off the button so to speak.

Wondering where I could get Swedish kroner in clonmel? Need some for holidays.
    Anpost website don't seem to have.

Try any of the Banks or the Credit Union but they will probably need to order it in so don't leave it till the last minute. As far as I know, the Credit Union doesn't charge commission but you will need to check. Enjoy your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Wondering where I could get Swedish kroner in clonmel? Need some for holidays.
    Anpost website don't seem to have.

You can use your ATM card in Sweden.

New cafe opening soon (Formerly O' Tuamas,Market Place)
    They are looking for staff....Some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

New cafe opening soon (Formerly O' Tuamas,Market Place)
    They are looking for staff....Some good news.

Nice to hear, but was there really any market research put in here? There's a reason everything else around there closed down. There's no footfall any more. They would need something along the lines of large store near it too for any hope - Especially since there's the other café right beside it (name passes me by), so if the customers split between it will be bad for both.

Wouldn't really agree with that Callaway 92. I work in town and I think there is always a need for a good café for lunch/coffee mornings. My favourite is Buttermarket, the menu is a bit different and I like the feel of the place. I always felt O'Tuamas was overpriced and a bit squeezy for space. With the change in the rates for Market Place I would be hopeful that shops will be attracted back into that area. Anything providing jobs, even if its for a limited time, has got to be good news.

Wouldn't really agree with that Callaway 92. I work in town and I think there is always a need for a good café for lunch/coffee mornings. My favourite is Buttermarket, the menu is a bit different and I like the feel of the place. I always felt O'Tuamas was overpriced and a bit squeezy for space. With the change in the rates for Market Place I would be hopeful that shops will be attracted back into that area. Anything providing jobs, even if its for a limited time, has got to be good news.

Fair enough, but Buttermarket is in a good location. I know they seem close to eachother but in reality are separated greatly with O' Tuamas being so isolated now.

Rates are low for a reason - That area is highly unattractive at the moment.

Of course it is nice news, I agree on that but I'm more worried that they will struggle is all and it will be doomed from the beginning.

Well if we have a Boardsie's coffee meeting there every so often, we can help them stay in business :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I always thought O'Tuama's was a cold place, often there were two doors open and a breeze blowing though the place.
    I find Niamh's very squeezed.
    We tend to head to the Buttermarket, or Hickey's for a treat.
    I never tried Quimby's but heard good reports.

Ya I'm a big fan of Quimby's.

I want to avoid ATM charges.

Any clue if AIB offers foreign exchange ?
    cml387 wrote: »
    You can use your ATM card in Sweden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

All banks have foreign exchange facilities.

Swedish Krone will probably have to be ordered for you, as it would not be in stock. Normally takes a couple of days.

Advertisement