Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I want to avoid ATM charges.

Any clue if AIB offers foreign exchange ?

If you have a credit card you could put some cash in there and use that.

You don't want to be carrying a load of cash around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the advice. I have both debit and credit card.
    Is it not cheaper to use Debit card?
    And how do I put cash in my credit card?
    dieselbug wrote: »
    If you have a credit card you could put some cash in there and use that.

You don't want to be carrying a load of cash around with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Thanks for the advice. I have both debit and credit card.
    Is it not cheaper to use Debit card?
    And how do I put cash in my credit card?

I think that the Debit card is cheaper alright.

Just lodge money to your credit Card account, but be careful not to withdraw money ( you can still pay for stuff as normal)from your Credit card when there is money owing on it cos the rate of payment is fairly punative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Better double check re withdrawing money on credit card. Someone I know was in funds, yet the transaction in a EU country was blocked.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Sometimes, depending on how often you travel and to where, I know some people who have had their cards blocked/stopped because the banks see it as an out of the ordinary transaction and possibly a fraud/stolen card. If you can, ring your bank/go into your bank and ask them what you need to do and how much commission, if any you will have to pay. Check also that there are no limits on how much you can withdraw from ATM's etc, so you are not caught short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Better double check re withdrawing money on credit card. Someone I know was in funds, yet the transaction in a EU country was blocked.

If going abroad you will need to notify your bank as they will probably block any foreign transactions to avoid possible fraud

That's right.
    AIB online account has option to add Travel Note for your bank cards and you can add country and travel dates so it won't be blocked.
    Thanks everyone for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

However, when i went abroad a few years ago, I notified two banks. Both said that it made no difference and transactions may be blocked regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

With aib, I receive a text when a transaction looks odd to them. For me that's when it's a direct debit based in US. You just text back a letter Y/N to confirm or deny transaction.

They're probably used to me going to France because i always use my debit card freely in supermarkets, ATMs, restaurants... Even before it became a "visa debit", as a simple debit Maestro card, I was able to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

i heard costcuttter on the cashel road is sold and is going to be turned into a mosque, anyone hear anything on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

i heard costcuttter on the cashel road is sold and is going to be turned into a mosque, anyone hear anything on this?

Really? It would certainly improve the look of the place.
    Sadly there is no record of such a thing on Eplan

That's right.
    AIB online account has option to add Travel Note for your bank cards and you can add country and travel dates so it won't be blocked.
    Thanks everyone for advice

Even when your out of the country if you what your limit is, as they will ask you this you can have the block lifted by ringing the number on the back of the card. Roaming charges are not expensive now and may soon be abolished altogether.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

AIB confirmed if I add in the travel dates and destination on the online account then it won't be a hassle.

Max cash withdrawl is 600 euros a day but this could vary from country to country.
    Even when your out of the country if you what your limit is, as they will ask you this you can have the block lifted by ringing the number on the back of the card. Roaming charges are not expensive now and may soon be abolished altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Nightman16

Hey hows things lads. Will probably be studying in LIT for the next year and was just wondering if anyone has any advice for someone moving down to Clonmel? Things to do, places to avoid or avoid living , best way to find accommodation. etc. Sorry if this isn't the right place or thread to post.

Anything at all really.Just wanna have as much info as possible.
    Cheers lads

Rental in Clonmel is dodgy at the minute-big money for crap houses. Would you consider digs?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Does anyone know somebody locally that does furniture repair to replace springs in a damaged sofa?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just passed by Knocklofty house. Tipp fire service currently dealing with a fire in one of the buildings right beside it. Hopefully no major damage done .

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Looks like the Clonmel arms hotel sold. The for sale sign has been taken down and people in around there the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Maymack wrote: »
    Looks like the Clonmel arms hotel sold. The for sale sign has been taken down and people in around there the last few days.

That's good news. Such a waste of a once great building.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

All in all wrote: »
    Does anyone know somebody locally that does furniture repair to replace springs in a damaged sofa?
    Thanks.

perhaps the girl that upcycles furniture there near the Army Barracks? -

http://kylelane.ie/

unsure about repairs however if she doesn't, she might know someone who does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

I am surprised to find the first bus to limerick doesnt leave untill 8.35...I can leave for Cork at 7.15..I was hoping to get up and down daily for 9am for a couple of months...

An absolute disgrace the bus does not arrive in Limerick until 10.05.

With rental accommodation being so expensive what chance do University students have ? And so many different 3rd. Level colleges in Limerick !

So much for public transport !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

With rental accommodation being so expensive what chance do University students have ? And so many different 3rd. Level colleges in Limerick !

You forget that our public transport is run by and for the union members. If they allowed a bus to get to Limerick before 9 it would cost a fortune in compensation. I won't even get started on the the train 'service' from Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Fascinating.
    If there was this massive pent up demand for an early morning service to Limerick then the private operators would be over it like a rash.

Many bus eireann routes are subsidised by the profitable inter city routes.
    Even this is not enough and it still requires a state subsidy.

Fascinating.
    If there was this massive pent up demand for an early morning service to Limerick then the private operators would be over it like a rash.

Oh ! if it were as easy as that, it's not just a matter of putting diesel into a bus and driving it out of the yard. Firstly you need a licence for the route. This would probably cause a strike in Bus Eireann. Only for trade unions they would have to live in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Oh ! if it were as easy as that, it's not just a matter of putting diesel into a bus and driving it out of the yard. Firstly you need a licence for the route. This would probably cause a strike in Bus Eireann. Only for trade unions they would have to live in the real world.

If a private operator thought there was money to be made then they would apply.

Realistically how many people would use an earlier service?

Bearing in mind that the bus service will require a change at Concolbert station to get to the Uni or Industrial Estates.

A private operator need not go to the Colbert Station they could organise their stops based on logistics and demand,

Surprised JJ Kavanagh doesn't have this route to be honest.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Surprised JJ Kavanagh doesn't have this route to be honest.

Mustn't be any money in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

No sane student would commute from Clonmel to Limerick every day.
    I suspect the original question was for some other reason.
    A student needs access to the library after hours, plus the social importance of studying with fellow students.

Advertisement