Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Ive seen cars getting clamped in there before. I doubt they'd clamp you if you were only nipping across the road for a few mins. Who's to say your not still inside the shopping centre ?? Leave it there all day and maybe you'd have a problem, I believe the staff aren't allowed to park there while working..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Hi! Can anybody give me advice about parking in the Showgrounds! I'm planning on paying a visit today but want to nip into Larry O Keffee's for a few minutes. Would I be okay to park their or would they clamp me?

Free for two hours I believe,
    but it's been a couple of years since I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Free for two hours I believe,
    but it's been a couple of years since I was there.

Did Minnie enjoy the day out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Did Minnie enjoy the day out?

She did actually Fresh,
    she loves the town, as do I.
    A bit quiet too early at night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not necessarily Clonmel but hoping someone might know what these celtic crosses are dedicated to?
    The other one is down the road at the turn-off to Kilsheelan. Passed them the other day and the inscriptions weren't legible.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.355994,-7.5737991,3a,75y,84.8h,84.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIPR_q7Uz-NxchJlOp0Wi5Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I see centra are opening a new store in the former vision store. That's great news for a prime building in town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see centra are opening a new store in the former vision store. That's great news for a prime building in town centre.

I was only thinking the other day how it's shocking there's not even a shop in the town to pick up one or two things. Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Has anyone been to the new Galileo restaurant in O connell street ? any feedback if so ? Looking to bring visitors for a meal the weekend and wanted to try something new :) Also is Catalpa still open ( haven't been in years) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I have been in the new Galileo three times: Had a steak once a pasta meal and a burger: all three meals were excellent. Best burger in town in my opinion.

And you can bring your own wine.

I like the vibe in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Galileo.

As far as I know, it's bring your own wine, no corkage charge !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I was there last weekend. No corkage fee, but minimum of 20eu per person to bring your own wine.

Food was good, a bit on the expensive side though in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Has anyone been to the new Galileo restaurant in O connell street ? any feedback if so ? Looking to bring visitors for a meal the weekend and wanted to try something new :) Also is Catalpa still open ( haven't been in years) ?

Only been there once. Starter (Bruschetta) was fab. I had the steak. It was quite dry and not cooked as per my request - i.e. asked for medium rare, it was more on the medium-well side, which may have accounted for the dryness.

It was packed that night but the service was good and attentive.

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    I have been in the new Galileo three times: Had a steak once a pasta meal and a burger: all three meals were excellent. Best burger in town in my opinion.

And you can bring your own wine.

I like the vibe in there too

I've only being in the one in Cahir and Mitchelstown. In opinion Galileo is nice but its not somewhere I'd bring somebody I was out to impress.
    I've had mainly positive dealing with it except for when I had the steak. It was just poor. I have heard of a lot of people saying that they disappointed with only getting dry pasta and for an Italian restaurant you'd be expecting fresh pasta. To the best of my knowledge tough I did have fresh pasta when I ate their,
    Two things that did bug me tough was they had a lot of supermarket own brand products behind the counter in the glass fridges and if you ordered a coke they filled it out of a big two/three litre bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Galileo have put up their prices a fair chunk (obv to pay for the move) and while it's still v nice - eat in Cahir mostly, the prices are just about unjustifiable for me I'm afraid for any meat other than steak.

Pasta etc is still reasonably priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

In the old Extravision store beside O'Tuamas, or Slattery Vision Store in Gladstone Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thanks for all the input on galileo will try it out the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

In the old Extravision store beside O'Tuamas, or Slattery Vision Store in Gladstone Street?

The old xtra vision store - they were cleaning the flagstones in Market Place today. I hope they get some stores in there soon, its like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

The old xtra vision store - they were cleaning the flagstones in Market Place today. I hope they get some stores in there soon, its like a ghost town.

Very creepy if you come out of a late appointment in Peter Marks!

pooch90 wrote: »
    Very creepy if you come out of a late appointment in Peter Marks!

Did I dream it or did I hear that they were moving of to The Showgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Did I dream it or did I hear that they were moving of to The Showgrounds?

Hadn't heard anything but it would make sense. You never know how long you will end up in there and the paid parking is always dicey as you can't really pop out to top up the meter.

• Advertisement

pooch90 wrote: »
    Hadn't heard anything but it would make sense. You never know how long you will end up in there and the paid parking is always dicey as you can't really pop out to top up the meter.

I must have dreamt it I'd say. Don't spread the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah, I'd like if it went to Showgrounds too. I do like the salon where it is too, but it is a bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭road_high

http://kclr96fm.com/bus-eireann-service-callan-kilkenny-city-axed/

This service has been going for decades, very serious to see it being axed. Major implications for Clonmel also.

road_high wrote: »
    http://kclr96fm.com/bus-eireann-service-callan-kilkenny-city-axed/

This service has been going for decades, very serious to see it being axed. Major implications for Clonmel also.

Kavanaghs will still travel that route. If it was so vital, people would have been using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Kavanaghs will still travel that route. If it was so vital, people would have been using it.

Anyone I know that needs to get a bus to Dublin gets the Kavanaghs bus.
    The Bus Eireann route is loss-making so doesn't make sense for them to keep it going.

marvin80 wrote: »
    Anyone I know that needs to get a bus to Dublin gets the Kavanaghs bus.
    The Bus Eireann route is loss-making so doesn't make sense for them to keep it going.

I'm sure they could say that about most of their routes...I've only gotten it a few times from Kilkenny, is it not popular from Clonmel?

If the worst comes to worst and it goes completely, I would hope Dublin Coach or similar would step into the route. They already do Dublin/Waterford via Kilkenny so that may be an option to expand to Clonmel with a feeder route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

road_high wrote: »
    If the worst comes to worst and it goes completely, I would hope Dublin Coach or similar would step into the route. They already do Dublin/Waterford via Kilkenny so that may be an option to expand to Clonmel with a feeder route.

It is gone completely!! As of next Monday that has been announced.

JJ Kav is a much better service hopefully prices don't rise with them now. As a local wouldn't dream of getting the Bus Eireann unless completely stuck.

The issue however is not the likes of me, if a potential client to Clonmel wanted to access the town (moreso if they aren't from the country) the national service is the goto less likely private companies are sussed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The last service with JJ Kavanagh leaves Clonmel for Dublin at 5pm which I think is too early.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    The last service with JJ Kavanagh leaves Clonmel for Dublin at 5pm which I think is too early.

The JJ Kavanagh service is way more limited and also some go via Athy still. The BE service is more comprehensive in terms of times, which is why I see it as a huge loss to the area.
    Some of their timings are really stupid though, the early morning services which could accommodate commuters from Kilkenny are either too early (05.25 am) or too late (07.25 am, arrives in Dublin CC at 09.07 am) which wouldn't have helped attract passengers at those peak timings.

Advertisement