Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

There's a meeting in Hearn's Hotel tonight (Feb. 28, 8.30pm) about the potential merger of Clonmel and Charleville (Co. Cork) credit unions. This meeting is being held by a local politician, not the credit union (they say it's too early in the talks process for such a meeting). http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/237406/clonmel-credit-union-briefs-local-politicans-on-merger-talks-with-charleville-cu.html

(I hear there's a concern among Clonmel members about the debt of Charleville having a negative affect locally.)

There's a meeting on Thursday in Clonmel Park Hotel regarding Bus Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Nollog

Kavanaghs will still travel that route. If it was so vital, people would have been using it.

Coming back down home the 7 is always packed Dublin to Clonmel and packed again the other way Clonmel to Dublin.

It was used, it's a bit bewildering. My guess is BE looked at towns who already have alternatives and discontinued those.

JJ had 2 bus shelters in Dublin airport last time I was down(January), the time before that they only had the one so they're profitable at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Qreq wrote: »
    There's a meeting in Hearn's Hotel tonight (Feb. 28, 8.30pm) about the potential merger of Clonmel and Charleville (Co. Cork) credit unions. This meeting is being held by a local politician, not the credit union (they say it's too early in the talks process for such a meeting). http://www.nationalist.ie/news/home/237406/clonmel-credit-union-briefs-local-politicans-on-merger-talks-with-charleville-cu.html

(I hear there's a concern among Clonmel members about the debt of Charleville having a negative affect locally.)

There's a meeting on Thursday in Clonmel Park Hotel regarding Bus Éireann.

Thanks. I'll try to make it to the meeting. There is a serious lack of info coming from official sources on this but if rumours are true it is a bad deal for the Clonmel members whose savings are being used to bailout Charleville.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I don't know Charleville CU's circumstances, but it seems a little weird to merge with a county Tipp CU instead of a Cork one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Coming back down home the 7 is always packed Dublin to Clonmel and packed again the other way Clonmel to Dublin.

It was used, it's a bit bewildering. My guess is BE looked at towns who already have alternatives and discontinued those.

JJ had 2 bus shelters in Dublin airport last time I was down(January), the time before that they only had the one so they're profitable at least.

Kilkenny has good alternatives and is a relatively handy drive to dublin also.
    For Clonmel, to discontinue the main bus service to the capital is an extra outrage. The JJ kav times are not as good whatsoever, the train service is a joke. I'm surprised people are so blasé about it to be honest, it's an unprecedented attack on a vital public service.
    Doubt it's any less profitable than many others but politically they think they can shaft Kilkenny and Tipperary due to relative political weakness of local TDs.
    For example, you will not see the same savage cuts to services in towns cushioned by a local Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

road_high wrote: »
    Doubt it's any less profitable than many others but politically they think they can shaft Kilkenny and Tipperary due to relative political weakness of local TDs.
    For example, you will not see the same savage cuts to services in towns cushioned by a local Minister.

Westport route gone though too who've minister Michael Ring in the Dail so clearly we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Westport route gone though too who've minister Michael Ring in the Dail so clearly we do.

On the contrary the NTA chair said this evening that there will be extra runs on the Westport - Athlone run.
    Actually struck me that these extra buses will be passing Enda's gaff in Islandeady.
    Like the money for his cycling club.
    Pure coincidence.

The Westport to Dublin service is different and unaffected as far as I'm aware. It's the Athlone to Westport they want to cut...but as another poster said you can be damn sure it'll be looked after. A link between the main Tipperary town, Kilkenny and the capital city is a damn sight more important than a trunk route from Athlone...
    You can be sure if either Kilkenny or Clonmel had a senior minister we wouldn't be discussing this...

I assume they have a depot in Clonmel? Probably looks ripe for closure and savings as a soft target.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Waterford-Limerick route through Clonmel is one of the few that has no private operator on it to my knowledge.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    The Waterford-Limerick route through Clonmel is one of the few that has no private operator on it to my knowledge.

I doubt there's a demand for one. Is there a PSO on that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I doubt there's a demand for one. Is there a PSO on that route?

Only as far as Cahir I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭klose

It also highlights how bad the train system is, i mean where are the routes to from clonmel? Waterford and limerick junction is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

klose wrote: »
    It also highlights how bad the train system is, i mean where are the routes to from clonmel? Waterford and limerick junction is that it?

Yep. Change at Limerick Junction for Limerick, Cork, Dublin. Change at those places for further afield. It's archaic for a town that's a key nodal point in the region. The times aren't great either. I'd like to use the train much more but the times just aren't conducive enough. Even on the Limerick Junction-Waterford route, the amount of passengers was always low when I took that train.

Regarding the cancellation of the 7 route. It leaves me in a bind, personally. The Bus Eireann time at 7pm from Bus Aras to Clonmel on a Friday night suited me nearly perfectly (as well as lots of others, it's a jammed route on a Friday) but the cancellation of the route means that I'll have to take Kavanaghs now and if I don't want to get in at midnight, I'll have to leave work an hour early on Fridays, not ideal on my busy days. Not to mention Kavanaghs will get inundated with a sharp increase of passengers, it will be interesting to see how (or if) they will cope.

Yep. Change at Limerick Junction for Limerick, Cork, Dublin. Change at those places for further afield. It's archaic for a town that's a key nodal point in the region. The times aren't great either. I'd like to use the train much more but the times just aren't conducive enough. Even on the Limerick Junction-Waterford route, the amount of passengers was always low when I took that train.

Regarding the cancellation of the 7 route. It leaves me in a bind, personally. The Bus Eireann time at 7pm from Bus Aras to Clonmel on a Friday night suited me nearly perfectly (as well as lots of others, it's a jammed route on a Friday) but the cancellation of the route means that I'll have to take Kavanaghs now and if I don't want to get in at midnight, I'll have to leave work an hour early on Fridays, not ideal on my busy days. Not to mention Kavanaghs will get inundated with a sharp increase of passengers, it will be interesting to see how (or if) they will cope.

I'm shocked they would pull a route like the 7 completely like this. If it was loss making, why not look at why and perhaps pare back a few of the less used timings etc. It leaves Clonmel with just the JJ Kavanagh service which is not at all adequate, the 7 was very good in that all of them now went via the M9 meaning a circa 2 hour journey time from the M50 was possible.

I'm shocked they would pull a route like the 7 completely like this. If it was loss making, why not look at why and perhaps pare back a few of the less used timings etc.

Speaking of, it feels like the 55 Limerick-Waterford service runs a dozen times a day and that's overkill - I often see it pass the house with a handful of people on it. If the 7 route was that loss making I get some alterations but as far as gutting it completely, it's tough.
    It leaves Clonmel with just the JJ Kavanagh service which is not at all adequate,

It will be interesting for sure. Right now it isn't adequate but it has opportunity to pick up a large slice of the market quickly and effectively.
    the 7 was very good in that all of them now went via the M9 meaning a circa 2 hour journey time from the M50 was possible.

Possible but personally I never got that. It always strayed between 2:30 and 3 hours.

Speaking of, it feels like the 55 Limerick-Waterford service runs a dozen times a day and that's overkill - I often see it pass the house with a handful of people on it. If the 7 route was that loss making I get some alterations but as far as gutting it completely, it's tough.

It will be interesting for sure. Right now it isn't adequate but it has opportunity to pick up a large slice of the market quickly and effectively.

Possible but personally I never got that. It always strayed between 2:30 and 3 hours.

The 55 is partly a PSO route it seems so gets a state subsidy- the 7 isn't.

I guess I was only going by Red Cow to Kilkenny which was about an hour when I got it but I take your point with traffic etc and slower once you leave the M9.
    Can JJ Kavanagh put on extra services just like that or are there licencing issues involved? I'm still hoping they might pull back and not cancel the whole route.

The 55 is partly a PSO route it seems so gets a state subsidy- the 7 isn't.

I guess I was only going by Red Cow to Kilkenny which was about an hour when I got it but I take your point with traffic etc and slower once you leave the M9.
    Can JJ Kavanagh put on extra services just like that or are there licencing issues involved? I'm still hoping they might pull back and not cancel the whole route.

Makes sense with the subsidy. Bus Eireann advertised the 7 Dublin Airport-Clonmel pretty hard, I think they were hoping for it to be a key route, surprised they didn't get a subsidy.

Hour from KK to Red Cow isn't bad now. I bet there's licensing issues or some other rigmarole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Uncle Mike's closing down due to ill health but continuing with parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Regarding my post about Peter Mark moving to the showgrounds it was here I read it sometime last April. At least I didn't dream it.
    tommiet wrote: »
    Peter marks are relocating to the show grounds shopping centre, as far as i know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Does anyone know where is best to replace screen on iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

There is a place in Mitchell Street who will replace an iPhone 5 screen for about €60 and they will do it for you in about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Vizzy wrote: »
    There is a place in Mitchell Street who will replace an iPhone 5 screen for about €60 and they will do it for you in about 20 mins.

Thanks will check it out at the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Can anyone recommend a good hairdresser in Clonmel. Don't mind if it's expensive but not one of those where they're expensive and up their own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

pilly wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good hairdresser in Clonmel. Don't mind if it's expensive but not one of those where they're expensive and up their own arse.

Bazaar in Mitchel Street ask for Francis she's a great hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Regarding my post about Peter Mark moving to the showgrounds it was here I read it sometime last April. At least I didn't dream it.

I heard it form the rumour mill we live in, Clonmel... obviously we will have to wait till someone confirms it...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

An Bord Pleanala has today given the go ahead for a new restaurant with takeaway & a new coffee shop in the former Crunch & Fine Wine units in The Showgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Maymack wrote: »
    An Bord Pleanala has today given the go ahead for a new restaurant with takeaway & a new coffee shop in the former Crunch & Fine Wine units in The Showgrounds.

Interesting. I can't imagine Rocking Joes, BBs and M&S Cafe are too happy about that. None of them seem overly busy these days. They'll really need to get the retail units occupied to keep all the food units going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maymack wrote: »

Anybody any idea of whats going in their?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anybody any idea of whats going in their?

I heard a rumour Costa are opening a shop there, Starbucks was also rumoured but they don't bother with planning permission these days so I'd safely say it won't be them :)

Advertisement