Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I heard a rumour Costa are opening a shop there, Starbucks was also rumoured but they don't bother with planning permission these days so I'd safely say it won't be them :)

Costa sometimes opens in two locations in a town if it's big enough. I always felt Clonmel could do with an O'Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭klose

Saw today uncle mikes in town closed down, used to love going in there when I was younger looking at all the animals. Will be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

klose wrote: »
    Saw today uncle mikes in town closed down, used to love going in there when I was younger looking at all the animals. Will be missed!

They had a post on Facebook, unfortunately Mike has taken ill and they can no longer run the shop. Pity, he's been around a long time. Hopefully he recovers from his illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

road_high wrote: »
    The 55 is partly a PSO route it seems so gets a state subsidy- the 7 isn't.

I guess I was only going by Red Cow to Kilkenny which was about an hour when I got it but I take your point with traffic etc and slower once you leave the M9.
    Can JJ Kavanagh put on extra services just like that or are there licencing issues involved? I'm still hoping they might pull back and not cancel the whole route.

The 55 between Limerick and Waterford is not a PSO service - it is purely commercial with no subsidy.

The 355 between Waterford, Carrick-on-Suir, Clonmel and Cahir is the subsidised PSO service.

JJ Kavanagh can apply to the NTA to add extra services and they will decide whether they can do so.

The only issue I could think of is that it doesn't clash with the Dublin Coach times between Dublin and Kilkenny, but JJK know the score on the licensing process and if they feel there is a need I'm sure they'll apply for extra services.

Of course the ongoing talks mean that any route changes are suspended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I was in Uncle Mikes today buying dog food and the place looked gutted, it really hit me as I frequented Uncle Mikes all my life.

I've lost count of all the animals and stuff I've gotten there over the years.

I was shocked to hear it was closing, didn't see or hear it coming, it was only confirmed when I checked the facebook page, a real shame but I genuinely wish him well and hope he recovers.

• Advertisement

I'm not from Clonmel Is Uncle Mike's the pet shop in the car park next to Dealz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I'm not from Clonmel Is Uncle Mike's the pet shop in the car park next to Dealz?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

They had a post on Facebook, unfortunately Mike has taken ill and they can no longer run the shop. Pity, he's been around a long time. Hopefully he recovers from his illness.
    What will happen to poor Marcus I wonder.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

tippspur wrote: »

Who is Marcus ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    Who is Marcus ?
    Niamh meets him in the pub and flirts with him and buys him a drink. I think he then gets involved in the plan regarding the purchase of the market place. Niamh later finds out hes an old friend of Robbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Niamh meets him in the pub and flirts with him and buys him a drink. I think he then gets involved in the plan regarding the purchase of the market place. Niamh later finds out hes an old friend of Robbie.

Completely confused now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who is Marcus ?

The name of a tiny breed of monkey who lost his tail and was always on display in a big display in the shop window, there was a note they had on the window explaining his story. Would always see kids looking at him when you'd pass.

I'm sorry. Theirs a new character coming into Fair City next week called Marcus and I mixed up my threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I don't really know the family personally apart from the shop but I do remember talking to someone who knows Mike pretty well who told me that he had a pretty decent setup at home for looking after his own pet collection, which by the way is pretty extensive. I'd imagine Marcus will be moving back to the home place to live out his days.. Thier Facebook post said that they would still be doing the mobile zoo thing they do for parties etc. I'm. It sure that Marcus would be suitable for this but it would be nice to see him again, my daughter used to love going down to see him in the window, she will be gutted to hear he's not there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't really know the family personally apart from the shop but I do remember talking to someone who knows Mike pretty well who told me that he had a pretty decent setup at home for looking after his own pet collection, which by the way is pretty extensive. I'd imagine Marcus will be moving back to the home place to live out his days.. Thier Facebook post said that they would still be doing the mobile zoo thing they do for parties etc. I'm. It sure that Marcus would be suitable for this but it would be nice to see him again, my daughter used to love going down to see him in the window, she will be gutted to hear he's not there anymore.
    +1 for my little boy.. First thing after I've parked up the car, he'd go over to check on Marcus. He's not technically a monkey but the name won't come to me now.
    That big fat yellow snake down the back gives me the goosebumps.
    With the mall closed, that area is getting a bit of a knock.
    I used to love Midget there..Well before the big crash of '08 :)

To thine own self be true

I'm sorry. Theirs a new character coming into Fair City next week called Marcus and I mixed up my threads!
    Admit it, you were just acting the maggot really :p

I was honestly miked up between the two threads!

I was honestly miked up between the two threads!
    Uncle miked up by any chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Sounds like Marcus the monkey may have a bigger audience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Does anyone know where in Clonmel I could get a trophy engraved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

tinyk68 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where in Clonmel I could get a trophy engraved?

We usually get our club trophies, medals and engraving done in Cahir
    http://www.trophies-medals.ie

Not sure but the jewellers down the narrow street might do engraving

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Thanks for that. I actually live half way between cahir and Clonmel so it's just as easy to go to cahir. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That may well be THE WORST website I've ever seen.

You're right though.

Darren Ward or John Quirke's Jewellers would both do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

callaway92 wrote: »
    That may well be THE WORST website I've ever seen.

You're right though.

Darren Ward or John Quirke's Jewellers would both do this for you.

Remember thinking the same before when looking for a particular type trophy. Think I just found it easier to download a pdf or something at the time and even then picked something different when I called out there

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

the lad in Cahir across from Cahir house does a good job

What a great amenity the riverside walk is in Clonmel. Met people of all ages, on foot, in buggies, on bikes and on horseback! The footpath is a bit muddy in places, but what a lovely walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

What a great amenity the riverside walk is in Clonmel. Met people of all ages, on foot, in buggies, on bikes and on horseback! The footpath is a bit muddy in places, but what a lovely walk!

Indeed it is. Depending on your time and energy you can walk from Clonmel by the river all the way to Kilsheelan and Carrick. There's no footpath for much of it, so prepare for grass, muck, and high nettles (when summer comes). They're working on paving more of it, but I have to say I prefer worn desire paths to concrete or tarmac paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

It's a lovely stretch of walkway. I go running whenever I'm down and always try incorporate it to my route. It's got nice scenery all along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

We are starting a Parkrun in Clonmel!!! (A 5K community walk/run in Powerstown Racecourse) We need volunteers/people who love the Parkrun ethos to get involved and help us get it off the ground. Please request to join the below group if you would like to get involved in the organisation process/join our awesome team/offer some help some of the weekends!

If you want to read more about Parkrun: http://wiki.parkrun.info/index.php/First_Read_This

Volunteer Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1337124366346489/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

sillymoo wrote: »
    We are starting a Parkrun in Clonmel!!! (A 5K community walk/run in Powerstown Racecourse) We need volunteers/people who love the Parkrun ethos to get involved and help us get it off the ground. Please request to join the below group if you would like to get involved in the organisation process/join our awesome team/offer some help some of the weekends!

If you want to read more about Parkrun: http://wiki.parkrun.info/index.php/First_Read_This

Volunteer Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1337124366346489/

Brilliant! I run in Gorey's Parkrun and I really enjoy it! I've long bemoaned the fact that a town of Clonmel's size doesn't have a Parkrun. Powerstown is an interesting choice.

Looking forward to more news on it. Good luck with the planning/setting up. I'll be sure to run it when it's set up!

Advertisement