Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

A golf course was part of the plan for Marlfield house but I wouldn't be too bothered if it didn't go ahead considering there is already a nice golf course already in Clonmel.
    The Hotel part of the plan would be more beneficial to the town. We could do with more accommodation in Clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Maymack wrote: »
    A golf course was part of the plan for Marlfield house but I wouldn't be too bothered if it didn't go ahead considering there is already a nice golf course already in Clonmel.
    The Hotel part of the plan would be more beneficial to the town. We could do with more accommodation in Clonmel

Agree - no need for another golf course.
    A hotel would be good but I'd prefer to see the Clonmel Arms be developed and re-opened as a hotel again - bring some life and tourists back into the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Whatever anyone may think of Coolmore it has to be said that when they buy land they develop it to a very high standard, landscaping etc and give a good deal of employment.

I have no connection to them or benefit from them but they have land and lots of it in my area.

Unfortunately for anyone trying to buy land in an area where they have an interest it makes it very difficult to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭TheManFromTipp

*Among the cuts proposed by the company is the closure of the Clonmel depot and the axing of the Clonmel – Dublin Expressway service.*

Thats what I heard the on the news this morning..I knew they were talking about axing the Clonmel Dublin service..but the closing of the depo as well..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Heard the fire evacuation procedure in Tesco last night was an utter shambles. Inexcusable a big business like that can't be up to speed in situations like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,571 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Heard the fire evacuation procedure in Tesco last night was an utter shambles. Inexcusable a big business like that can't be up to speed in situations like that.

Well at least now they know where their making their mistakes and can implement a better procedure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Well at least now they know where their making their mistakes and can implement a better procedure!

Why on earth would any self respecting management team wait till an actual occurrence to evaluate their fire risk assessment?

*Among the cuts proposed by the company is the closure of the Clonmel depot and the axing of the Clonmel – Dublin Expressway service.*

Thats what I heard the on the news this morning..I knew they were talking about axing the Clonmel Dublin service..but the closing of the depo as well..:(

But in fairness, if there is no buses stopping in the town then why would they keep a depot? Losing the bus is a blow, dont get me wrong and i understand the grievance of the bus Eireann workers given that those at the top are on huge salaries but if the bus does get cancelled which seems in all likelihood will happen, then there is no reason to have a depot

• Registered Users Posts: 30,571 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Why on earth would any self respecting management team wait till an actual occurrence to evaluate their fire risk assessment?

I thought it was a fire drill, To see how their plan worked in reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is there any good car shop in Clonmel where you could buy car cleaning products (good shampoo, sponge, leather cleaning product, etc)?

Visited the shop next to Advanced Pitstop at Cashel roundabout but they have a limited selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Is there any good car shop in Clonmel where you could buy car cleaning products (good shampoo, sponge, leather cleaning product, etc)?

Visited the shop next to Advanced Pitstop at Cashel roundabout but they have a limited selection.

Possibly Sean O'Donoghues across from Chadwicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

But in fairness, if there is no buses stopping in the town then why would they keep a depot?
    the Limerick Waterford bus will stop there and also bus from waterford clonmel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Seemed to work fine to me. Incident occured, evacuation of the store took place, Fire service arrived, situation was mananged, nobody hurt and damage was contained and kept to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

For those who'd enjoy a walk, cycle, or fish by the river as the weather improves:
    You can walk/cycle on pavement from Gashouse Bridge to where the Anner meets the Suir (a little beyond Ferryhouse). At that point there is a barrier blocking further progress while a new pavement is being laid to Kilsheelan (where there was previously a worn track through grass).

If you cycle on the main road to Kilsheelan, you can then try the lovely new pavement by the river behind the grotto all the way to Carrick-on-Suir away from noisy traffic. I tried it recently, it's pretty good.

It'll be nice when you can go all the way from Clonmel to Carrick with nothing but birds to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Qreq wrote: »
    For those who'd enjoy a walk, cycle, or fish by the river as the weather improves:
    You can walk/cycle on pavement from Gashouse Bridge to where the Anner meets the Suir (a little beyond Ferryhouse). At that point there is a barrier blocking further progress while a new pavement is being laid to Kilsheelan (where there was previously a worn track through grass).

If you cycle on the main road to Kilsheelan, you can then try the lovely new pavement by the river behind the grotto all the way to Carrick-on-Suir away from noisy traffic. I tried it recently, it's pretty good.

It'll be nice when you can go all the way from Clonmel to Carrick with nothing but birds to hear.

Have to agree with this.
    It is a beautiful walk when the weather is nice.

Unfortunately,there is going to be one section which cannot be completed as the landowner is unwilling to sell a sliver of land to the Council to allow the current track to be made wide enough to be tarmacked.
    You will still be able to walk the section but it will not have tarmac on it and will be about half the width of all the other sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Vizzy wrote: »
    You will still be able to walk the section but it will not have tarmac on it and will be about half the width of all the other sections.

To be honest, I prefer the old worn track for walking. It feels more natural and adventurous than a pavement. However, there was a part of the track that was dangerous and required walking very carefully on foot-wide ground between a hedge and a fall in the river. If that bit becomes half the width of surrounding pavement, it'll be good. I must walk it when it reopens to find out if bringing a bike is viable for the unpaved bits.

Qreq wrote: »
    To be honest, I prefer the old worn track for walking. It feels more natural and adventurous than a pavement. However, there was a part of the track that was dangerous and required walking very carefully on foot-wide ground between a hedge and a fall in the river. If that bit becomes half the width of surrounding pavement, it'll be good. I must walk it when it reopens to find out if bringing a bike is viable for the unpaved bits.

I have walked it many times,most recently last Thursday from Kilsheelan to beyond Merck on the tarmac and last Saturday from Kilsheelan to the Anner Bridge ( you have to climb over a bit wire about 500 m above Kilsheelan cos the track is officially closed but once you cross this you have a clear "run" all the way to Anner Bridge).
    It is supposed to be open again in about a fortnight I am told.

There is no problem cycling the track either on a mountain bike ( wouldn't be too inclined to try it on a racer though as there is still one part that slopes toward the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Saw today a new pub is opening in mitchell street ( the narrow street) formally the harp bar , Called Bennigans. Great to see a premises opening again . Will be calling in for a pint as soon as it opens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Saw today a new pub is opening in mitchell street ( the narrow street) formally the harp bar , Called Bennigans. Great to see a premises opening again . Will be calling in for a pint as soon as it opens :)

Yes Pudzey I saw them working on it over the weekend.

Hopefully it won't attract the same "clientele" the Harp was (in)famous for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭klose

I've also heard a few times lonergans is opening again, it looks like it's gotten a lick of paint and one night I passed it and there was lights on inside so maybe there is truth to it. Clonmel I feel is lacking on the side of good pubs, as for nightclubs/ late bars don't get me started

• Advertisement

pudzey101 wrote: »

Bennigans sounds a bit like Sheanigans,which was opened after the Harp closed.....

Is there a place in Clonmel where I could throw once off non-recycling garbage? Got so much stuff at home.

There used to be a Yellow Bin at Topaz station (next to railway station) but they don't have it anymore. I am looking for something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Is there a place in Clonmel where I could throw once off non-recycling garbage? Got so much stuff at home.

There used to be a Yellow Bin at Topaz station (next to railway station) but they don't have it anymore. I am looking for something similar.

Clonmel Waste on Cashel Rd, past Boston Abbot take black bags about €4 each I think, or you can get a skip bag if you have a large quantity of stuff which is collected for €90.

Local authority bring centre in carrigeen also take black bags, think about €4 each as well, also take bulky waste as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Recycling centre in carrigeen is great! They take all sorts, though a lot of it needs to be separated. Household waste they take in black bags though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

The Clonmel parkrun is now up and available for people to register. https://www.facebook.com/clonmelparkrun

There is also a meeting this Saturday, 29th April, upstairs in Gavin's Cafe (at Planet Playground) at 10.30am for anyone interested in Volunteering at parkrun or just finding out more information about it. It would be great if everyone could support it.

Is it this one? Map link attached

Clonmel Waste Disposal Limited
    Lawlesstown, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary

https://goo.gl/maps/r6Pt37e2dd62
    All in all wrote: »
    Clonmel Waste on Cashel Rd, past Boston Abbot take black bags about €4 each I think, or you can get a skip bag if you have a large quantity of stuff which is collected for €90.

Local authority bring centre in carrigeen also take black bags, think about €4 each as well, also take bulky waste as well.

That's the one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

klose wrote: »
    I've also heard a few times lonergans is opening again, it looks like it's gotten a lick of paint and one night I passed it and there was lights on inside so maybe there is truth to it. Clonmel I feel is lacking on the side of good pubs, as for nightclubs/ late bars don't get me started

Yes, just got it from the horse's mouth;). Plan is to open for the June bank holiday.
    That date may not be set in concrete mind but that's the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Vizzy wrote: »
    Have to agree with this.
    It is a beautiful walk when the weather is nice.

Unfortunately,there is going to be one section which cannot be completed as the landowner is unwilling to sell a sliver of land to the Council to allow the current track to be made wide enough to be tarmacked.
    Noticed this morning two vans belonging to the workers were parked at the slipway in Kilsheelan (beside the boat flower bed)so I headed down there this evening to have a gawk,looks like they were cutting away overhead branches and generally clearing the way for machinery to pass up and down,I presume from this that they will be working on the new path from here up soon so the other end must be nearly ready for opening.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Noticed this morning two vans belonging to the workers were parked at the slipway in Kilsheelan (beside the boat flower bed)so I headed down there this evening to have a gawk,looks like they were cutting away overhead branches and generally clearing the way for machinery to pass up and down,I presume from this that they will be working on the new path from here up soon so the other end must be nearly ready for opening.

Apparently there are only 2 or 3 lads working on it at the moment so it will be slow going.
    There is about 1km to be done between the barrier above Kilsheelan and where the tarmac starts. But there will be a section which will not be tarmacced at all so I don't know what they will do with this section.
    Coincidentally, I walked from Sir Thomas' Bridge down to Anner Bridge this evening in the hope that the barrier at Anner Bridge would be gone - its not.
    But there is a section of tarmac at the rear of Bulmers orchard which is now open.

Advertisement