Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Have you got a link?
    Xenophile wrote: »
    Marlfield House.

Still on the market, see today's Irish Times. On 31 acres price Euro 1.35 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have you got a link?

It's on daft.ie so it's easy enough to find! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Don't see any planning app for Abbey street. There is one for 53 Parnell street, new restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Any news from the poster on here that was setting up the Park run in powerstown racecourse,someone said to me that it's starting next weekend/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

tippspur wrote: »
    Any news from the poster on here that was setting up the Park run in powerstown racecourse,someone said to me that it's starting next weekend/

"Clonmel parkrun takes place every Saturday at 9:30am. Starts 20 May 2017."
    - According to http://www.parkrun.ie/clonmel/

There's a poster about it on the library notice boards too if you happen to be passing that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Looking forward to it now on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

It's actually a place I never really found busy to be honest. I often wondered how it stayed open. I'd say the lease might be up.
    It's actually such a large unit it's hard to know what would go into it.

Unlikely it's a lease issue. That was the original Dunnes Stores before they opened larger premises in Oakville.
    It's difficult to believe (but true) that the premises contained a drapery AND supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Kegs being unloaded for Lonergan's pub on O'Connell Street today: the opening must be imminent

Just from the horse's mouth:)

Open from 9pm tonight, official opening next Friday. Sounds like it will be a good spot for anyone in to the ould trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommiet

Seen that myself. Pints should soon be flowing there.

Lonergans is open tonight. It's open right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Cool might pop down for quick pint see did it change much from years ago , any news on the new place where the harp used be too ?

Was at the first park run this morning fair play to the organisers and volunteers was very well run and ran very smoothly despite it being their first morning well done all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Costa going into the show grounds SC I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Costa going into the show grounds SC I see.

It might effect BB's!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Heard it will be 2 Costa coffee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It might effect BB's!

Not a fan of BBs so glad costa opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not a fan of BBs so glad costa opening.

I'd be of the opposite opinion. Don't like big massive chains opening up everywhere. It definitely kills the common man coffee shop (although I realise BBs isn't the 'common man).

I'd assume the Costa in Poppyfields is cleaning up, hence the confidence in opening up in a similar location.

One thing I do like about Costa, unlike many, is that it doesn't serve a cappucino at a temperature approaching the surface of the sun.
    A cappucino is supposed to be just above lukewarm so that the milk is not boiled. Ask any Italian.

Mind you no Italian would drink a cappucino after 10am anyway.

I'd say they are opening to get in before Starbucks opens in there.

I would have always liked to see an O'Brien's open in Clonmel!

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Unlikely it's a lease issue. That was the original Dunnes Stores before they opened larger premises in Oakville.
    It's difficult to believe (but true) that the premises contained a drapery AND supermarket.

I heard they now plan to use the shop for storage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

I heard they now plan to use the shop for storage

If that happens it should be compulsory purchased. The last thing the town needs is for the shops in the town center to be used as warehouses and make no mistake Dunnes wont care about the town as long as they block a rival going in there. They have form in that regard. Dunnes held on to their old empty unit in Limerick City center for years to block anyone else going in there and that large empty unit contributed to the demise of the city center. They also did something similar in the old Parkway Shopping center after they opened a new superstore across the road. They kept the old one open as the "anchor tenant" but very poorly stocked so the business went across the road and eventually the whole center basically went into a death spiral with lots of empty units.

The old Dunnes in Mallow closed back in about 2005. It was on the main street. Similar to the Clonmel Dunnes. They had the grocery and drapery all in one. It was tiny. It was never leased out or bought but some people said they were asking for crazy money for it.
    A lot of the Chemists, Butchers, Newsagents,etc that used be tenants with Dunnes in the past have closed. I heard once the originally lease was out which would probably have being signed back in Ben Dunnes day. Dunnes were meant to be looking for crazy money for the new lease and in the end they just extended their shop into them in places.

touts wrote: »
    If that happens it should be compulsory purchased. The last thing the town needs is for the shops in the town center to be used as warehouses and make no mistake Dunnes wont care about the town as long as they block a rival going in there. They have form in that regard. Dunnes held on to their old empty unit in Limerick City center for years to block anyone else going in there and that large empty unit contributed to the demise of the city center. They also did something similar in the old Parkway Shopping center after they opened a new superstore across the road. They kept the old one open as the "anchor tenant" but very poorly stocked so the business went across the road and eventually the whole center basically went into a death spiral with lots of empty units.

Dunnes have the store in Oakville and the Waterford road. They bought the Waterford road site (which was H Williams) to stop anyone else moving into it meaning that they now had THREE shops in Clonmel where surely one would be enough.

Similarly, in Kilkenny they opened a big store in the eighties behind the main street and then a second store opened in McDonagh junction to keep Tesco's out.

I presume Dunnes have a business model of some sort but it seems to me to be ludicrous to be running two or three major outlets in medium sized towns.

But hey, this is Ireland and Dunnes are a private company who seem to walk on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,678 ✭✭✭✭klose

Lonergans is looking well anyways, finally somewhere with a decent beer garden! Bit light on seats however given the size and layout of the pub. Hope it goes well for em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

klose wrote: »
    Lonergans is looking well anyways, finally somewhere with a decent beer garden! Bit light on seats however given the size and layout of the pub. Hope it goes well for em.

Good to see it re-opened - must pop in for a drink next time I'm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Interesting article regarding Dunnes!

Councils have new powers which they are in the process of implementing on sites vacant for more than a year. It's essentially a levy of a certain percentage of the lands value each year vacant.

Dunnes will start shifting the property country wide in the next couple of years as the won't be able to justify the cost to leave them vacant.

I think TCC are in the process of making the changes to facilitate such levies. It only came I to effect since 1st January 2017. And I don't think levies will be charged until 2018/2019.

I know that Dunnes did release their original shop in Mullingar some years ago and it became an Eason's franchise. Unfortunately that closed recently too.

Anyway, promoting Clonmel business as you do I never had been in the Dragon Palace in Irishtown until quite recently (we were always Emerald garden people and were a bit lost when it closed). I must say it's a great restaurant and a great takeaway as well. Nice staff and a generally good vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Anyone ever eat in the Emperor Chinese and if so would they recommend it? Looking for a place to go to lunch and its the only Chinese ive never actually been in.

Advertisement