Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

A private party for a business celebrating a new building setting off fire works at 11:15 pm on a Wednesday is pretty outrageous in my opinion -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Re Mass
    Does the Junction festival or similar notify residents directly when they have big events on the Quay as a matter of interest?

Given the event finishes at 12, I'd guess this is an enforced curfew as part of a licence. Plenty of loud noise coming from the likes of chrissies, o'keefes, the local, etc beyond this time at the weekends directly next to residences.
    That said this will be much louder and it'll be difficult to shelter the houses and apartments to the side if the racecourse. M&S will provide a bit of a buffer to the Waterford road.

Hopefully there will be a strong security presence as turfing out time could be a nightmare in that car park, not to mention the onslaught to bars up Parnell St afterwards.

I hope it's a success and not dragged down by the troublesome minority from the point of view of possible future concerts in the town but it will always be difficult to get this first one over the line given the nature of the music & the bass tones

They better have private security and plenty of it.

Living through 10 hours of bass is going to be my idea of hell. I won't be able to open my doors or windows, I'm worried for my property/car, my pets will have to be inside all day; I have children; there will be hundreds of drunken youths all over the place - I'm seriously thinking of staying somewhere else for the night.

You cannot seriously compare a band in Chrissies with an open air loud bass led music party for 10 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Then again, a wedding booked for a Wed isn't likely to fork out for fireworks :D:D
    The Raheen Road was choc a block with parked cars when I passed earlier so was just a guess. Camida building opening sounds more likely

100% sure that it was Camida, which also involved a huge function in Raheen.
    God only knows what it cost :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Recliner wrote: »
    What's Camida?
    Pharmaceutical distribution company.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Heard Mass mentioned on Tipp FM earlier - no doubt a phone in discussion coming up on the Fran Curry show over the next day or so!! Used to live near the dog track - can't imagine the Greyhound Bar on the Davis Road allowing many gig goers in to the pub bearing in mind the average age of punter that goes in there must be 70!!!

Been in Lonergans once since it reopened - great job - any word yet on the new Harp reopening

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

That event is a nice little earner for the greyhound stadium I'd imagine. Pubs around will probably do a bit of trade too. Will be interesting to see if guards have a plan in place for all that crowd getting out at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Heard Mass mentioned on Tipp FM earlier - no doubt a phone in discussion coming up on the Fran Curry show over the next day or so!! Used to live near the dog track - can't imagine the Greyhound Bar on the Davis Road allowing many gig goers in to the pub bearing in mind the average age of punter that goes in there must be 70!!!
    Seen on the facebook that they have a piece on it on Tipp FM at 09:15 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

Seen on the facebook that they have a piece on it on Tipp FM at 09:15 this morning

Anyone hear what was said?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Then again, a wedding booked for a Wed isn't likely to fork out for fireworks :D:D

Time not money might be the issue. Depends when she's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

klose wrote: »
    Anyone hear what was said [on Tipp FM about the concert in the greyhound stadium]?

Here's TippFM's brief article.

"Fears Tipperary music event may lead to anti-social behaviour.

Concerns have been raised about a techno and house music event due to take place in Clonmel Greyhound Stadium.

The event, called MASS, has drawn some criticism from locals online, including concerns over noise management, and drink and drug taking.

It takes place on Saturday July 8th and will run from 2pm to midnight.

Cormac, from the event organisers Paradox Events, says that they have a plan in place to ensure the event runs smoothly.

But speaking on Tipp Today he said they would like to have a Garda presence there on the day."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

I have just been informed that there are RATS in Dennis Burke park by my son. He said one bit him on his shoe, so watch out folks, especially those with small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

mlumley wrote: »
    I have just been informed that there are RATS in Dennis Burke park by my son. He said one bit him on his shoe, so watch out folks, especially those with small children.

Your never more than a few metres from a rat. Particularly in an urban environment or near a water course. No need to worry once they aren't running around your kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

The Tipp FM Fran Curry discussion re the MASS rave in greyhound stadium has been deferred till Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Think the dog track need every penny that they can get at the minute!!

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Think the dog track need every penny that they can get at the minute!!

Think the fact they've cancelled two nights racing to host it tells a bit about that statement.

Its not a fait accompli yet. Environment section of Tipperary Co Co is going to check the level of noise involved in this event - anyone who has been to a rave knows how loud these things are so hopefully they can move the event to a more appropriate venue.

Well hopefully it's all above board and by the books, would hate to see something cancelled before it's even given a chance. Town is in the doldrums as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Well hopefully it's all above board and by the books, would hate to see something cancelled before it's even given a chance. Town is in the doldrums as it is.

I'm what sense is it "in the doldrums"?

I'm what sense is it "in the doldrums"?

Not a whole lot happens around town that draws people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Not a whole lot happens around town that draws people in.

Clonmel is quite a negative town. We elect people who are anti everything and pro nothing. An event is proposed that is new and different and we react negatively. It's like the Archbishop of Cashel and Emly giving out about Feile in Thurles back in the 1990's.

• Advertisement

I don't live in Clonmel but i know people who live near the venue. There are lots of rentals owned by wealthy who do not have to live there and some who own homes who are pretty worried and annoyed at it being foisted on them. The pubs and business who will profit do not live there either. A person who live sthere asked why not hold it near the homes of the wealthy. Is it true they were stopped having it in kilkenny? I was told that but on radio they said they moved due to health safety reasons. Of course the health and safety of the people who live near are not important to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

It was moved as the previous venue was a sloped/stepped amphitheatre which was deemed unsuitable for a larger crowd than last year due to H&S issues.

Can I ask where you suggest Millionaires Row lies in Clonmel? How about moving it to Marlfield House and everyone could attend in shirt and tie.......

Regards the rats in DB Park, they have always been there, as is the case in the other park. Any area located next to a river will have this issue.

I don't see why there is a need to issue panic warnings over one isolated incident. The park is looking great after years of neglect and its fantastic that it's being used by families/the general public rather than just winos & junkies. The grass needed to be cut when I was there last week so that's probably allowing the wildlife to be a bit braver

Marlfield house would be fine with the folk i am referring to. They say it was not allowed in kilkenny. Do you live near it?

No problem, lets have it outside your house so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Every event(New and old) that takes places in town always have a few locals complaining. The events generally go off with out a hitch and can be vital for the local economy.

Marlfield house, Knocklofty house, Ballingarrane House (where hundreds of acres are owned by the County Council).

There are plenty more suitable venues than a residential area. The Greyhound stadium is tiny, god only knows where they will fit 1,500 people - that's the number of tickets available.

Residents received a piece of white paper, typed letter today. They didn't mention access (at least 10 buses so says County Council), no shoppers will be able to park in the free car park so that's a lot of shoppers not in the town that day. Security? They said they are going to have 20 people for security. Are they mad? How are they going to manage 1,500 people wondering outside my house at midnight? They said they have local people performing but their website says otherwise. They say a decibel reader will be on hand all day, but don't say what the decibel limit is going to be.

Copied from Google:

Any any sound that is loud enough and lasts long enough can damage hearing and lead to hearing loss. A sound's loudness is measured in decibels (dB). Normal conversation is about 60 dB, a lawn mower is about 90 dB, and a loud rock concert is about 120 dB.

Both the level of noise and the length of time you listen to the noise can put you at risk for noise-induced hearing loss. Noise levels are measured in decibels, or dB for short. The higher the decibel level, the louder the noise. Sounds that are louder than 85 dB can cause permanent hearing loss.

I will have to move or listen to boom boom boom for 10 hours - this has been foistered on me, its not like I live next to Croke Park or Aviva stadium where you could expect to have noise and people on a regular basis.

I am determined it won't happen at the Greyhound Stadium

Sorry for my rant, but I'm furious about it. I have pets, children, and I run a business from my home and probably won't be able to access it by my vehicles. I cant have clients there with that racket. Its outrageous.

Every event(New and old) that takes places in town always have a few locals complaining. The events generally go off with out a hitch and can be vital for the local economy.

I hope you aren't referring to me as a few locals?

Have it outside your house so - 20 security to manage 1,500 people fuelled for 10 hours on drink and god knows what. Don't you dare belittle my fears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Marlfield house would be fine with the folk i am referring to. They say it was not allowed in kilkenny. Do you live near it?

Ah that's great so. Glad they're happy with the change of venue

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope you aren't referring to me as a few locals?

Have it outside your house so - 20 security to manage 1,500 people fuelled for 10 hours on drink and god knows what. Don't you dare belittle my fears.

I have a 2/3 day camping festival at the end of my road that attracts over 10000 people every year. Music goes on into the early hours of the morning. Traffic is affected but it's vital for the local economy. It helps to keep shops/pubs open for the rest of the year. We've livestock that can be affected by the noise but you just deal with the the situation.
    When the festival started a few people complained about the noise and traffic/antisocial behavior etc but they seem to do it every year. Every year they say they'll get it moved. The festival doesn't cause any bother.

• Advertisement

I have a 2/3 day camping festival at the end of my road that attracts over 10000 people every year. Music goes on into the early hours of the morning. Traffic is affected but it's vital for the local economy. It helps to keep shops/pubs open for the rest of the year. We've livestock that can be affected by the noise but you just deal with the the situation.
    When the festival started a few people complained about the noise and traffic/antisocial behavior etc but they seem to do it every year. Every year they say they'll get it moved. The festival doesn't cause any bother.

Grand, let Mass 2017 know and they can all move up there. I would be curious as to where 10,000 people gather each year? Is it in the middle of a residential area? I don't think so. How many security do they have? This event will have 1 security person for every 75 revellers - 20 security (according to their letter) for 1,500 - its going to be a disaster.

Advertisement