Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Grand, let Mass 2017 know and they can all move up there. I would be curious as to where 10,000 people gather each year? Is it in the middle of a residential area? I don't think so. How many security do they have? This event will have 1 security person for every 75 revellers - 20 security (according to their letter) for 1,500 - its going to be a disaster.

It backs onto a housing estate on the outskirts of a town. It's very near a town.
    Their wouldn't be a massive security presences at the festival to be honest.People from the area can be stewards and take tickets/help setting up the site/parking/clean up. The music can be heard all through the area. The revelers go to the local town to the pubs/restaurants/shops/cafes. That means thousands of people making noise for a whole weekend into the early hours of the morning walking in a residential area and clogging up local roads.
    Every year the same people write to the paper and ring the local radio station with the same concerns but in the years it'd being taking place nothing has ever really happened. Apart from the odd person getting to drunk but that happens every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

No problem, lets have it outside your house so!!

That's twice you've posed the rather childish response of "have it at your house".

If it was a country and western gig would you have the same issue? Loud music is loud music regardless of genre. I assume you are just tarring every person who is going with the same brush of we will all be of our heads. Will there be some people too drunk? You bet. Will there be trouble? Im sure scuffles will break out and resolved by security. I'm sure there will be gardai presence come finishing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

klose wrote: »
    That's twice you've posed the rather childish response of "have it at your house".

If it was a country and western gig would you have the same issue? Loud music is loud music regardless of genre. I assume you are just tarring every person who is going with the same brush of we will all be of our heads. Will there be some people too drunk? You bet. Will there be trouble? Im sure scuffles will break out and resolved by security. I'm sure there will be gardai presence come finishing time.

Its not childish, I'm absolutely serious. You have it in your back yard.

And no, if it was country and western I wouldn't have the same concerns about the noise - there is a huge difference between a rave and a western yee hah - anybody with any nounce can work that one out.

The rave will have heavy bass, boom boom boom for 10 hours - its very unfair to inflict that on local residents without proper security - 1 for 75 revellers is not enough - scuffles is what breaks out at O'Keeffes - not 1,500 drink fuelled revellers after 10 hours of boom boom boom.

I'm horrified by the thought of it. I hope the powers that be will have a bit of sense and move the venue to somewhere on the edge of town with more space. I'm not saying don't have it, I'm saying not 200 metres from residents.

It backs onto a housing estate on the outskirts of a town. It's very near a town.
    Their wouldn't be a massive security presences at the festival to be honest..

I have no problem with it being on the edge of town - away from residents - I've said move it not necessarily ban it. And no way is up to 20 security enough for 1,500 revellers.

Can I ask what sort of music festival? Is it a rave?

Its not childish, I'm absolutely serious. You have it in your back yard.

And no, if it was country and western I wouldn't have the same concerns about the noise - there is a huge difference between a rave and a western yee hah - anybody with any nounce can work that one out.

The rave will have heavy bass, boom boom boom for 10 hours - its very unfair to inflict that on local residents without proper security - 1 for 75 revellers is not enough - scuffles is what breaks out at O'Keeffes - not 1,500 drink fuelled revellers after 10 hours of boom boom boom.

I'm horrified by the thought of it. I hope the powers that be will have a bit of sense and move the venue to somewhere on the edge of town with more space. I'm not saying don't have it, I'm saying not 200 metres from residents.

Is it the loudness of the of the music that concerns you or is it the fact there'll be basey music played? I'm sure the db will be within regulations just like it would at any other genre of gig held there.

So you're basically assuming everyone is there for trouble, I and plenty friends are going and won't cause an ounce of trouble as I'm sure 99% of people there. It only takes a few to ruin it/ give it a bad name. Anyone with any nounce knows that...

• Advertisement

I have no problem with it being on the edge of town - away from residents - I've said move it not necessarily ban it. And no way is up to 20 security enough for 1,500 revellers.

Can I ask what sort of music festival? Is it a rave?

The festival is right beside houses in the town. It's sort of mix of indie and rock music and a few other things. It isn't really in the outskirts to be honest and they were talks about moving it out further and their was up war from the community. It's sort of a mixture of Rock/Indie music and a mix of a few other things. They can be 3/4 stages.
    We just have a different view on this. I don't think 1500 people is a lot of people. Maybe they could do with more security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

"Ah that's great so. Glad they're happy with the change of venue"

not funny. and you did not answer if you live near it. People who do: Is it going to spill into the free car park on the Gashouse. i was told it would, I do not know the area very well, is that a big car park

"Ah that's great so. Glad they're happy with the change of venue"

not funny. and you did not answer if you live near it. People who do: Is it going to spill into the free car park on the Gashouse. i was told it would, I do not know the area very well, is that a big car park

Are you referring to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Is the gashouse near glenconner I dont know Clonmel very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

@freshpopcorn No - you didn't say "Ah that's great so. Glad they're happy with the change of venue" to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Nope. Opposite ends of the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Not sure how the dog track managed to get the go ahead for this but they are badly strapped for cash at the moment.
    I was told the original venue in Kilkenny is a disused quarry and twas stopped from going ahead because of health and safety issues.

You obviously don't know Clonmel at all the gas house is at the other end of the town from Glenconner.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Anyone know if a type of permission from the council needs to be in place for this and if it has been granted?

Anyone know if a type of permission from the council needs to be in place for this and if it has been granted?

I wondered that too. How come we heard nothing till whatever permission was needed was granted. Surely it should have been in the public domain before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

People, "Ah jaysus, there's nothing ever happens in Clonmel to bring people in to the town"

*Something happens to bring people in to the town*

People, "Ah jaysus, I don't want all them people coming in to the town"

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

People, "Ah jaysus, there's nothing ever happens in Clonmel to bring people in to the town"

*Something happens to bring people in to the town*

People, "Ah jaysus, I don't want all them people coming in to the town"

you are so right, Camida spent 80,000 in the local economy and the outrage from some people on Board's was just incredible, the town is on it's knee's, jesus give the organisers a chance.

snipey wrote: »
    you are so right, Camida spent 80,000 in the local economy and the outrage from some people on Board's was just incredible, the town is on it's knee's, jesus give the organisers a chance.

Crazy reactions from some people over a few fireworks for 5 minutes. You have to expect that though. I saw a woman comment on a Facebook status saying how it was disgraceful etc that they did it. Same woman then commented on Raheen House's pictures of the fireworks, saying how lovely it looked & well done etc.

I hope you aren't referring to me as a few locals?

Have it outside your house so - 20 security to manage 1,500 people fuelled for 10 hours on drink and god knows what. Don't you dare belittle my fears.

Remember the Fleadh when it was in the town?
    Crowds of people walking around the streets drinking & listening to loud music all day long. There were children walking around in amongst the drunk poeple & everything. It was madness! Don't know how that got the go ahead at fhe time... /s

Crowds of people walking around the streets drinking & listening to loud music all day long. There were children walking around in amongst the drunk poeple & everything. It was madness! Don't know how that got the go ahead at fhe time... /s

Isn't the Fleadh like that every year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Residents received a piece of white paper, typed letter today. They didn't mention access (at least 10 buses so says County Council), no shoppers will be able to park in the free car park so that's a lot of shoppers not in the town that day. Security? They said they are going to have 20 people for security. Are they mad? How are they going to manage 1,500 people wondering outside my house at midnight? They said they have local people performing but their website says otherwise. They say a decibel reader will be on hand all day, but don't say what the decibel limit is going to be.

Just on the parking issue, I drove in to the carpark this afternoon at about 3 pm and there were 13 cars in it.
    On the security issue, when Minella had their barbeques every
    Sunday night with approx 500 people on some of the busiest nights, there were only 2 security persons on duty and as far as I know there were no reports of serious anti social behaviour either in Minella or on the way back in to town.

There was heaps of trouble the last time the Fleadh was here.

I think what you are missing is the main point people are making - the venue is unsuitable for the event being proposed - I suggested the race course - plenty of room and it's away from the town's urban centre and a large residential area.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Just on the parking issue, I drove in to the carpark this afternoon at about 3 pm and there were 13 cars in it.
    On the security issue, when Minella had their barbeques every
    Sunday night with approx 500 people on some of the busiest nights, there were only 2 security persons on duty and as far as I know there were no reports of serious anti social behaviour either in Minella or on the way back in to town.

It's full on a Saturday.

The demographic of a hotel minella BBQ and an all day techno party are very different - apples and oranges -

Isn't the Fleadh like that every year?

Precisely! It just doesn't get the same stigma attached to it because it's not techno/house music.

You cannot compare a techno / house rave on for 10 hours in the middle of a residential area with a traditional music fleadh and a musical event at the Minella. Not only is the music totally different, ie. no base or boom boom boom for 10 hours but also the people attending the event are totally different.

As far as I know, the greyhound company also have a part in Powerstown racecourse so why not have it there instead. Plenty of room, plenty of parking, not a large residential community less than 200 metres from there, perfect.

Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭newdriverlad

You cannot compare a techno / house rave on for 10 hours in the middle of a residential area with a traditional music fleadh and a musical event at the Minella. Not only is the music totally different, ie. no base or boom boom boom for 10 hours but also the people attending the event are totally different.

As far as I know, the greyhound company also have a part in Powerstown racecourse so why not have it there instead. Plenty of room, plenty of parking, not a large residential community less than 200 metres from there, perfect.

Does anyone know how many tickets have been sold?

Due to popular demand the event now has being expanded and a further 8,500 tickets have being sold. Local residents are delighted with the event and are inviting concert goes into their lawns/gardens to enjoy the music!
    A large fireworks display will happen at the end of the event just to thank the local residents for welcoming the event to Clonmel without any complaints.

Due to popular demand the event now has being expanded and a further 8,500 tickets have being sold. Local residents are delighted with the event and are inviting concert goes into their lawns/gardens to enjoy the music!
    A large fireworks display will happen at the end of the event just to thank the local residents for welcoming the event to Clonmel without any complaints.

You have a great sense of humour anyway. Hopefully there will be a compromise that everyone can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Obviously, a lot of the people commenting for this event, do not live right next to the Dog track. I do, and I dont want to have to listen to the noise for hours.
    As some one has already said, the race track would have been better for everyone.
    I am going away so that I dont have the bother of the noise, but I am wondering if my house will be safe.

mlumley wrote: »
    Obviously, a lot of the people commenting for this event, do not live right next to the Dog track. I do, and I dont want to have to listen to the noise for hours.
    As some one has already said, the race track would have been better for everyone.
    I am going away so that I dont have the bother of the noise, but I am wondering if my house will be safe.

Just in my experience from various festivals events from concerts to, food festivals to local festivals. etc. Peoples properties rarely get damaged. The main problem would be a bit of litter.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if powers town was contacted about hosting? I see there is no race meeting there that weekend so its free, havent been there in years what even are the facilities like there? The dog track is pretty modern so it assumably trumps powerstown on facilities.

Advertisement