Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

where did i say i had any intention of starting online petition?. i do not even live in Clonmel. I am just saying that just because people who are against it are not on the internet or this site does not mean they do not exist.

I never said you had any intention of starting one.
    I just said if you start an online petition you've to prepared for the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Well I do object to it but then I live less than 200 metres from it.

I don't object to a music event for the town or any new venture that might bring some life to the town, I just don't think the Greyhound Stadium is the best place for this type of event. And according to the local authorities that I've been in touch with, most attendees are being bussed in and out so they won't be benefiting the local economy - B&B's etc, as they won't be staying in Clonmel.

I still think Marlfield House, Knocklofty House, Ballingarrane House, Powerstown Racecourse or even LIT would be better venues than this one.

Its all well and good people saying suck it up, its only one day, etc, but I bet those people don't live near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Ah I was expecting lots more than 950 - was expecting thousands - does o'keeffes hold about 600 on a night? Or did I make up that number?

What about parking? Is there anthing organised for that? I know busses have been mentioned but not everyone will be in a bus. I'm sure a god few felter spec tdi s will show up. @ DjSteve are u driving urself?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Well I do object to it but then I live less than 200 metres from it.

I don't object to a music event for the town or any new venture that might bring some life to the town, I just don't think the Greyhound Stadium is the best place for this type of event. And according to the local authorities that I've been in touch with, most attendees are being bussed in and out so they won't be benefiting the local economy - B&B's etc, as they won't be staying in Clonmel.

I still think Marlfield House, Knocklofty House, Ballingarrane House, Powerstown Racecourse or even LIT would be better venues than this one.

Its all well and good people saying suck it up, its only one day, etc, but I bet those people don't live near me.

What are you talking about? Of course it benefits the local economy.

The money for the event could keep the greyhound track open for another few years potentially as it'll really help cashflows. Does a local business receiving a vital cash flow boost aid the economy - yes.

Just because there won't be an extra 900 guests staying overnight doesn't mean it won't benefit the economy. Attendees are likely to wonder about the town for a while during the day. Okay this doesn't mean that there will suddenly be 500 people waiting outside the butter market for a table but it will help in some way.

What are you talking about? Of course it benefits the local economy.

The money for the event could keep the greyhound track open for another few years potentially as it'll really help cashflows. Does a local business receiving a vital cash flow boost aid the economy - yes.

Just because there won't be an extra 900 guests staying overnight doesn't mean it won't benefit the economy. Attendees are likely to wonder about the town for a while during the day. Okay this doesn't mean that there will suddenly be 500 people waiting outside the butter market for a table but it will help in some way.

Why don't the managers and directors of the dog track concentrate on their basic job. Greyhound racing. Through bad management the track is in dire straits. Attendances falling, mainly because of the high admission fee. The new stadium is not fit for purpose. Badly designed with little viewing opportunities. A glance at their Facebook page will show little about greyhounds but all about the restaurant which opens when there's no dogs running. It's a greyhound stadium not a restaurant. Combine the two and you're on a winner. Charge OAPs and students €10 admission and they'll stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

Why don't the managers and directors of the dog track concentrate on their basic job. Greyhound racing. Through bad management the track is in dire straits. Attendances falling, mainly because of the high admission fee. The new stadium is not fit for purpose. Badly designed with little viewing opportunities. A glance at their Facebook page will show little about greyhounds but all about the restaurant which opens when there's no dogs running. It's a greyhound stadium not a restaurant. Combine the two and you're on a winner. Charge OAPs and students €10 admission and they'll stay away.

I'd agree on this, the dogtraxk is in trouble any time I'm there lately it's pretty quiet given the size of the place. That being said they were obviously offered a large sum of money to host it so I guess it was too good an offer to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,489 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's not just a Clonmel thing. We used be involved in greyhounds and know a lot a people who used be and the main reason when people gave them up is due to the cost of keeping has increased in going for for races and trials/vets/regulations. It's really funny when you attending racing now a lot of the people have no interest in the racing now and haven't a clue about it. Their just at the track for a work party. Another issue is to do with people feeling hard done by with people doping their dogs with hard to trace or currently legal substances.
    Bord Na Gon/IGB need to work hard to work hard to fix the greyhound industry in Ireland. Lots of people are still mad to get into dogs or get back into them but the prices have increased so much over the years. It's nothing to do with animal cruelty/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes, it'll benefit the local economy. Specifically Melbourne Glass and Clonmel Glass and Mirrors as they go around and deal will all the breakage call outs the following morning.

The scum and hothead youngfellas and young wans with too much drink and yokes in them will be a thing to behold.

Of course, that will be nothing to do with the promoter or the dog track. No sir. That's personal responsibility.

Pleasant night coming up for our guards, paramedics and A&E folks.

Taxpayer will foot the bill for the fallout of this and legal profession will take another nibble down the road when the public order offences get to court.

Fantastic.

Get a life, I'm going with friends and you call me scum without knowing me? You have some nerve. What a lazy, tired outdated opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Expunge wrote: »
    Yes, it'll benefit the local economy. Specifically Melbourne Glass and Clonmel Glass and Mirrors as they go around and deal will all the breakage call outs the following morning.

The scum and hothead youngfellas and young wans with too much drink and yokes in them will be a thing to behold.

Of course, that will be nothing to do with the promoter or the dog track. No sir. That's personal responsibility.

Taxpayer will foot the bill for the fallout of this and legal profession will take another nibble down the road when the public order offences get to court.

Fantastic.

LOL. Stereotype much!!! That's it folks everyone of the 1000 people attending are scum bags! If you want people to take you seriously then stick with the real concern I. E. Sound pollution if gig is set up wrong, traffic management etc... Not calling everyone who likes music you don't a scumbag!

• Advertisement

Ah lads, your white hot outrage is charming. Fair play to ye. Of course not everyone going to this is a scummer - and well ye know I never said. But don't let that stop ye getting your anger up.

This is Clonmel and as honest people from Clonmel will admit, there is the potential for a scum infestation at this thing, if not controlled.

Add to this the natural, ahem, high spirited behaviour of young lads with the aid of stimulants on them and there is the strong possibility of anti-social behaviour and worse.

It may not happen in the dog track but in the area surrounding.
    My hopes for a peaceful evening in Clonmel that evening would not be high.

But sure, what would I know? I'm only a lazy stereotyper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Your post sounds a little sanctimonious to be honest and a little like Clonmel is unique in its undesirable element. Unfortunately that's everywhere I'm townd up and down the country.

And yours sounds a little defensive, with respect. Of course it's not unique to Clonmel.
    It's simply my opinion, knowing the town and some of the beauts funded by the taxpayer to exist therin that trouble is a strong possibility.
    Have the organisers any meaningful plan to stop unwelcome guests getting in (or out) over the wall which runs parallel with the River Walk?
    I'm sure it'll be fine.

Ah lads, your white hot outrage is charming. Fair play to ye. Of course not everyone going to this is a scummer - and well ye know I never said. But don't let that stop ye getting your anger up.

This is Clonmel and as honest people from Clonmel will admit, there is the potential for a scum infestation at this thing, if not controlled.

Add to this the natural, ahem, high spirited behaviour of young lads with the aid of stimulants on them and there is the strong possibility of anti-social behaviour and worse.

It may not happen in the dog track but in the area surrounding.
    My hopes for a peaceful evening in Clonmel that evening would not be high.

But sure, what would I know? I'm only a lazy stereotyper!

It's not white hot outrage its LOL think before you post. I have no interest in going but once correctly run it may well become an asset to the town like the busking festival or the coursing. Your post suggested everyone was a scummer and now your saying not everyone is a summer admits your wrong to imply it in the first place.

It of course has the potential to attract some undesirables as does a bank holiday Sunday night in O'Keeffes. As with everything we shouldn't ruin the majoritys fun for the actions of a very small minority. If their is hassle it will be a very small minority. In fact I would suggest that a bigger concern would be those that don't go in to the venue and undergo searches and hang around looking for trouble that maybe a bigger issue than those inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Fantastic.
    Without doubt the stupidest post in this thread,well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well it looks like MASS is sold out,the parish priest must be delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

tippspur wrote:
    Without doubt the stupidest post in this thread,well done.

And by a fair distance

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

Fantastic.

Well, there it is. The dumbest thing I've read all week. Well done...

Ha, Tippspur and djcubasteve have decided to gang up on me, calling my fears for the residents of Davis Road and surrounding areas 'stupid'.
    Instead of engaging in any of the points, like a gang of 11 year old girls I am to be shouted down as stupid. (That may be unfair to 11 year old girls)

Questionmark?, thanks for the courtesy of a reply, although I never suggested that everyone at the event will be a scumbag.
    You seem to suggest the possibility of trouble outside the venue, if I'm reading you correctly but your're happy to absolve the event and it's management in advance.
    I'd respectfully suggest that one may be the cause of the other, if there is trouble.
    I'd say there are many more with fears just the same as mine who will be reluctant to post or are not boards users but that's okay lads!
    Just knock on the doors of the houses surrounding the dog track and roar at them "your fears are STEWPID"!!!!!!

Well then who are referring to when you say the scum? You go on to say hothead youngfellas and hothead youngwans too, you just completely whitewash everyone going as trouble and you've been called out and your reply is a pathetic weak 'Oh lol i have upset ye guys soooooo sorry' :rolleyes:

Let's not forget the gardai have a duty here too for the day night controlling the big crowd at the beginning and end.

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Well then who are referring to when you say the scum? You go on to say hothead youngfellas and hothead youngwans too, you just completely whitewash everyone going as trouble and you've been called out and your reply is a pathetic weak 'Oh lol i have upset ye guys soooooo sorry' :rolleyes:

Let's not forget the gardai have a duty here too for the day night controlling the big crowd at the beginning and end.

Are you sure you read what I wrote mate? The boyiz are indeed upset and start to roar 'stupid, stupid' but I'm far from sorry. Of course there'll be undesirables and scumbags both inside and outside the venue. No all, by any means, but toerags there will be. Don't think anyone could deny that.

Good point about the guards though. More guards probably required, probably taken from other parts of the Division to make up the numbers... extra overtime etc. Get my drift? Other parts of Tipp left with inadequate Garda cover for the duration of the operation and the poor auld taxpayer left to foot another bill.

Already there's a cost to this which is not covered in the ticket price.

klose wrote: »

Are you sure you read what I wrote mate? The boyiz are indeed upset and start to roar 'stupid, stupid' but I'm far from sorry. Of course there'll be undesirables and scumbags both inside and outside the venue. No all, by any means, but toerags there will be. Don't think anyone could deny that.

Good point about the guards though. More guards probably required, probably taken from other parts of the Division to make up the numbers... extra overtime etc. Get my drift? Other parts of Tipp left with inadequate Garda cover for the duration of the operation and the poor auld taxpayer left to foot another bill.

The event will very likely make a positive contribution to the exchequer in fact I would be shocked if it didn't. VAT on ticket sales, licence for the event, alcohol licence, duty on beer, corporate tax paid on profits, PRSI paid on employees wages, the buses ferrying people in will have employees again paying tax, fuel duty, VAT on local hotel bookings, local takeaways getting extra business and hence paying more in tax etc etc... How can a privately hosted event hosting over 1000 people spending money be a net loss to the taxpayer???

Of course there will be uundesirables, that's the case with any event for any occasion around the country not just a mid size techno music even in clonmel.

Your extra gardia point is hillarious too, sure if that's the case let's cancel all events where there is extra gardai needed if that's your line of thought, let's have nothing at all for the public. You come across as extremely stubborn and set in your ways, so it's pointless as all you can see is negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Agreed on this post - add to the above the bookmakers betting to 220% per race etc and no wonder the place empty!!

Some amount of stuff going on in the area on Mass day though - Fozzys have an all day rock gig on and Swan Lake in the Army Barracks - talk about a mixed crowd!!!

Ha, Tippspur and djcubasteve have decided to gang up on me, calling my fears for the residents of Davis Road and surrounding areas 'stupid'.
    Instead of engaging in any of the points, like a gang of 11 year old girls I am to be shouted down as stupid. (That may be unfair to 11 year old girls)

Questionmark?, thanks for the courtesy of a reply, although I never suggested that everyone at the event will be a scumbag.
    You seem to suggest the possibility of trouble outside the venue, if I'm reading you correctly but your're happy to absolve the event and it's management in advance.
    I'd respectfully suggest that one may be the cause of the other, if there is trouble.
    I'd say there are many more with fears just the same as mine who will be reluctant to post or are not boards users but that's okay lads!
    Just knock on the doors of the houses surrounding the dog track and roar at them "your fears are STEWPID"!!!!!!

Your comment was absolutely ridiculous, without basis & way wide of the mark. It's based solely on a closed minded view of what you think goes on at an event such as this, I presume, without any experience of being at one. You provided no backup for your general statements about damage being caused & why the emergency services would be required to be so busy. Please, refer me to the sources for your assumptions & I'll quite happily engage you.

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Agreed on this post - add to the above the bookmakers betting to 220% per race etc and no wonder the place empty!!

Some amount of stuff going on in the area on Mass day though - Fozzys have an all day rock gig on and Swan Lake in the Army Barracks - talk about a mixed crowd!!!

An all day rock gig? All those biker gangs drinking & their loud devil's music blaring all day?!

How was this allowed to go ahead?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

jkmanc1974 wrote: »

FFS I'll be surrounded by it - I'll definitely be deaf by Sunday. :eek:

Not sure how they will hear Swan Lake in the Barracks between Fozzys and Techno.

I'm trying get the noise limits for the techno rave but everyone (promoters, county council, gardai) are very reluctant to give it to me - not sure why?

Its a sell out. I'd move for the night but have pets so I'll just batten down the hatches, buy ear plugs from Boots and get a DVD box set.

Ah come on now, djscubasteve. Of course there'll be trouble! It's just a question of how much.

This town is renowned for it. And a thousand plus people are to bussed in as well?
    And the other surrounding drinking dens are getting in on it too? Fantastic.

Tell you what, give us your address and I and 30 other people (only 30) will each consume 4 litres of cider, a bottle of Aldi vodka and assorted illegal drugs.

In your front garden we will urinate, defecate and those who are able to will fornicate. For you and your family's pleasure we will also stage a mock but realistic glassing, using "Hollywood style" bottles. I wouldn't want to overburden the A&E at STGH, ya see.

If it goes well, I'll consider bringing my public order circus to the homes of each and every director of the Clonmel Greyhound Racing Track Ltd.

Just leave your address below, thanks

Great day at the clonmel show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Ah come on now, djscubasteve. Of course there'll be trouble! It's just a question of how much.

This town is renowned for it. And a thousand plus people are to bussed in as well?
    And the other surrounding drinking dens are getting in on it too? Fantastic.

Tell you what, give us your address and I and 30 other people (only 30) will each consume 4 litres of cider, a bottle of Aldi vodka and assorted illegal drugs.

In your front garden we will urinate, defecate and those who are able to will fornicate. For you and your family's pleasure we will also stage a mock but realistic glassing, using "Hollywood style" bottles. I wouldn't want to overburden the A&E at STGH, ya see.

If it goes well, I'll consider bringing my public order circus to the homes of each and every director of the Clonmel Greyhound Racing Track Ltd.

Just leave your address below, thanks

The town is renowned for trouble? Is it? Above any other large town? Generalise much?

Advertisement