Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Can anyone recommend a good barber in town for a beard trim?

Usually go to the Turkish barber across from the Parnell grill for haircuts but he butchered the beard before so looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Can anyone recommend a good barber in town for a beard trim?

Usually go to the Turkish barber across from the Parnell grill for haircuts but he butchered the beard before so looking elsewhere.

place in irishtown near quimbys is brilliant , Finecutz ... cheap and they take their time !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What's the story with the Showgrounds SC guys? I was in there today and couldn't get over the amount of empty units. Hadn't been in a good few years but it seemed to be doing quite well and occupied last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

road_high wrote: »
    What's the story with the Showgrounds SC guys? I was in there today and couldn't get over the amount of empty units. Hadn't been in a good few years but it seemed to be doing quite well and occupied last time I was there.

I don't really know. It's a shopping center I never really warmed to to be honest.
    I think some of the stores that opened there would haven't being well known and the rent would probably be high for more independent stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I don't really know. It's a shopping center I never really warmed to to be honest.
    I think some of the stores that opened there would haven't being well known and the rent would probably be high for more independent stores.

I think the last time I was there was during the recession and it seemed quite full occupancy at that time and busy. Not even the euro shop had survived which is not a great sign! It's an odd design alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Clonmel AC are hosting their premier event, the Boston Scientific Half Marathon tomorrow (Sunday), starting at 10am outside LIT on the bypass. Course goes up the bypass, turning left at Barne, throught to bottom of Knocklofty hill and up Wood road and back to the bypass.

Weather is predicted to be awful so if you are passing any runners, take care and give them a beep or a word of encouragement to keep them going. I'm giving out sweets outside the Presentation School if anyone feeling peckish from 10.45am.

Good luck to all the runners and volunteers alike.

I think the last time I was there was during the recession and it seemed quite full occupancy at that time and busy. Not even the euro shop had survived which is not a great sign! It's an odd design alright.

Another issue with The Showgrounds is Clonmel that shops such as River Island, New Look, meteor/eir, three, carphone warehouse etc are all in the town and these would often be located in shopping centers. There also lacking a Dunnes/Tesco. Most successful shopping centers have these as anchor tenants(apart from Whitewater but Tesco and Dunnes are newarby)
    I think it was designed terribly to be honest. Walking from the main entrance to M&S seems like it takes forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I have to say it's a shopping centre I like. I usually have a child or 2 in tow and it's free and easy parking, on a wet day no parking space is too far from an exit. Decent toilets on both levels.

That euro shop that was there was a euro shop in name only- it was called 2 4 6 8 10 so everything was one of those prices but it seemed to me to be far more expensive than Dealz and eurogiant. I miss pulse accessories but still like Vila and Only I'd be disappointed if they were gone. M&S is probably their biggest footfall driver because it's the only one for miles around. With Argos and TK Maxx it still has a lot going for it so I hope they fill the place back up soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

I just can't fathom how any shopping centre cannot have an ATM. I know Sam McAuleys has one but I always feel so shifty walking in just to use the ATM and not buying anything.
    It needs a decent supermarket where people might do a full shop and a butchers at the very least.

I agree about the ATM.
    I think the show grounds needs a phone shop, a Carraig Donn, Claire's, Clarks shoes or Similar branded shoe shop in Clonmel, Tiger or a discount retailer, Health shop, sports(Hard to know who tough couldn't see JD sports in), Peter Mark, Swamp, CEX.
    Could never see shops such as Zara, Next, Monsoon, Parfois, Topman/shop, etc opening tough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Anyone no what food that new restaurant Mani is going serving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Is that the place in Parnell street ?

If so, it will be Mediterranean and Tapas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Yeah a butchers would be a good fit for the showgrounds. It would be great if James whelans opened a second shop there because I like their stuff but find Oakville a bit awkward to get in and out of at busy times.

Lisduggan shopping centre in Waterford has 3 independent butchers I think, and a fruit and veg shop as well as Tesco, Claire's, Dealz, Costa, heatons and lifestyle

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Vizzy wrote: »
    Is that the place in Parnell street ?

If so, it will be Mediterranean and Tapas.

Oh nice, I love a good Tapas place, is it opened already? I'm down in Clonmel next weekend would love to try it out when I'm down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Anyone goes to Gladstone Street Surgery for GP ?
    Just wondering who replaced Dr Ryle, and if they're any good. I like Dr Mike too, but seeing as he was so busy I'd switched to Dr Ryle and he was great, only learned in June when I called in for a prescription reprint that he was gone, and haven't been there since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just wondering who replaced Dr Ryle, and if they're any good. I like Dr Mike too, but seeing as he was so busy I'd switched to Dr Ryle and he was great, only learned in June when I called in for a prescription reprint that he was gone, and haven't been there since.

There was a Dr Sean Fitzpatrick there a few weeks ago when I was there last. I'm pretty sure that was who took over from Dr Ryle.

There was a Dr Sean Fitzpatrick there a few weeks ago when I was there last. I'm pretty sure that was who took over from Dr Ryle.

Hopefully he is a better doctor then he was a banker :) That said he wasnt a bad rugby player :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Does anyone know when the plans for Kickham barracks will begin?
    Specifically the LIT college campus move?

Lackey wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the plans for Kickham barracks will begin?
    Specifically the LIT college campus move?

What is the craic with the LIT campus? They have alot of ground where they are to build on. Moving just seems pointless. And dont they have another research centre in Ballinagrane too? Is it going to be Multicampus within Clonmel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

What is the craic with the LIT campus? They have alot of ground where they are to build on. Moving just seems pointless. And dont they have another research centre in Ballinagrane too? Is it going to be Multicampus within Clonmel?

http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/sites/default/files/Kickham%20Barracks%20Masterplan-%20Final%20Adopted.pdf

This is what I seen

Not sure about development of a multi campus. I seen development plans for current LIT campus to be developed into a sports grounds

Just wondering does anyone have any details on the start date for this development?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Lackey wrote: »
    http://www.tipperarycoco.ie/sites/default/files/Kickham%20Barracks%20Masterplan-%20Final%20Adopted.pdf

This is what I seen

Not sure about development of a multi campus. I seen development plans for current LIT campus to be developed into a sports grounds

Just wondering does anyone have any details on the start date for this development?

Lots of plans. Probably if you looked hard enough there might even be a scale model.

But actual building work starting, well....

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Lots of work going on at new bakery on the corner of Bridge Street and O'Connell St. All being done by lads from UK. Shame they couldn't find a few locals to fit out the place!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Lots of work going on at new bakery on the corner of Bridge Street and O'Connell St. All being done by lads from UK. Shame they couldn't find a few locals to fit out the place!

How do you know all the lads are from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

If they're the same people as I saw last week they're from Northern Ireland.

Maybe they gave the best quote?

When you see thing like this you've just to do your best to look at the positive. New jobs in the long run, maybe the building supplies will be purchased locally and the workers might stay/shop locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

When you see thing like this you've just to do your best to look at the positive. New jobs in the long run, maybe the building supplies will be purchased locally and the workers might stay/shop locally.

And the VAT goes to Her Majesty's Treasury

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

And the VAT goes to Her Majesty's Treasury

Incorrect the VAT is applicable in the country where the service is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are you staying in Gladstone Street. I can recommend someone if your thinking of moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are you staying in Gladstone Street. I can recommend someone if your thinking of moving.

I'm not sure to be honest. I like having Dr Mike to fall back on, he's always been very efficient and quick at sending referral letters when needed, and my entire medical history for the past 20 years is with him, as well as my children's since birth.
    I'll check out Dr Fitzpatrick mentioned above I think.
    If I don't "click" with him, I might envisage moving, as there'd be only Dr Dillon and Dr Mike left, and there isn't a hope in hell I'd go to Dr Dillon as I clashed with her before on several occasions, and Dr Mike is often unavailable.

I think I'd still like to hear your recommendations Gael as I think you also have psoriasis, it could be interesting, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

There is another female doctor at the Gladstone St surgery, very pleasant young woman.

Advertisement