Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Maymack wrote: »
    ...... but while this is happening I can't believe the council have extended parking charges in Irishtown and Davis road. Have they seriously no cop on. They talk about attracting new shops in and on the other hand extend the parking charges areas, which will keep people shopping on the outskirts.

If you lived on any of these streets you would be delighted that finally you can park outside your house. There is a free carpark less than 50 metres from my front door but people would prefer to squash their car in any space in front of my house rather than walk 50 metres.

Residents have to apply for a residents parking permit for €10 annually, I'll be happy to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

tippspur wrote: »
    Local politicians jumping on the Clonmel Arms bandwagon to try and deflect us from the fact that the voted in favour of a 10 per cent rise on the Local property tax for Tipperary..fooling no one.

Amazing how quiet they kept that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

...... but while this is happening I can't believe the council have extended parking charges in Irishtown and Davis road. Have they seriously no cop on. They talk about attracting new shops in and on the other hand extend the parking charges areas, which will keep people shopping on the outskirts.

If you lived on any of these streets you would be delighted that finally you can park outside your house.  There is a free carpark less than 50 metres from my front door but people would prefer to squash their car in any space in front of my house rather than walk 50 metres.  

Residents have to apply for a residents parking permit for €10 annually, I'll be happy to do this.
    the street in front of your house is the public road. you do not own the street outside your door

Clonmel arms planning process needs to be fast tracked. The last time too many ridiculous objections went in and held up the original development. Hopefully there will be a move on attracting new tenants to Market place and the cinema extension finally starts. There are small signs of life finally returning to the town centre but while this is happening I can't believe the council have extended parking charges in Irishtown and Davis road. Have they seriously no cop on. They talk about attracting new shops in and on the other hand extend the parking charges areas, which will keep people shopping on the outskirts.
    people are entitled to object. What were the ridiculous ones about?
    They are also going to charge for the car park at the church in irishtown. I know people who used to park there and walk to town centre but now say they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Your right by law people are entitled to object against planning applications. But there are people who just object because they don't like change or in retail terms afraid of competition. The last planning application for the Clonmel arms was held up from An Taisce and Drohans bakery objecting. An Taisce said the development would cast a shadow on the main guard. Don't know how as the tallest part of the building was going to be on the quay. In response to Irishtown parking, it's a joke. Especially trying to pass the post office. I do agree that people should be able to park outside their own house, so the council should mark out these areas. To create more parking I think the council should buy the former Sean O Donohue yard and put spaces in there.St Mary's car park has always been free and its wrong to start charging.

• Advertisement

the street in front of your house is the public road. you do not own the street outside your door

Shure I know that, nobody owns a public street, not me, not you, not anyone. That doesn't mean that I don't like to park outside my own house. Especially as there is a free carpark within 2 minutes walk for everyone to use. Most people like to park outside their own home for convenience and for security (of their vehicle), I'm no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Shure I know that, nobody owns a public street, not me, not you, not anyone. That doesn't mean that I don't like to park outside my own house. Especially as there is a free carpark within 2 minutes walk for everyone to use. Most people like to park outside their own home for convenience and for security (of their vehicle), I'm no different.

Agreed it takes a special kind of gob****e (some of which I've put right on the matter) to park outside someones house when plenty other parking is available.

Your right by law people are entitled to object against planning applications. But there are people who just object because they don't like change or in retail terms afraid of competition. The last planning application for the Clonmel arms was held up from An Taisce and Drohans bakery objecting

I didn't know about the bakery thought it was all bodies like An Taisce

Most people like to park outside their own home for convenience and for security (of their vehicle), I'm no different.

I would not be told by anyone where to park on a public street or walk from a car ark because people are want to park out side their home. unless blocking an entrance there is no right to park outside your own door or insist people move

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Most people like to park outside their own home for convenience and for security (of their vehicle), I'm no different.

I would not be told by anyone where to park on a public street or walk from a car ark because people are want to park out side their home. unless blocking an entrance there is no right to park outside your own door or insist people move

Your right of course Jack by all means park outside someone's house, you are not breaking any laws.

People who don't park outside others houses just have a bit of common decency and give a thought to older people or people with young's kids, buggies, etc.

• Advertisement

@ it wasn't me 123 I found in my case there were two kinds of people who parked outside my gate. People who just didn't think and were apologetic when it was pointed out to them.
    The second kind are the real gob****es ones with a strong sense of entitlement who so long as they have somewhere handy to park f**k you.
    But you'll be safe from the second type now because to go along with their sense of entitlement they have an allergy to putting a hand in their pockets. They like free so you won't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

If you lived on any of these streets you would be delighted that finally you can park outside your house. There is a free carpark less than 50 metres from my front door but people would prefer to squash their car in any space in front of my house rather than walk 50 metres.

Sadly there's more sides to this.

The Davis Road for instance, Management of the Showgrounds shopping centre insist their tenants staff park elsewhere at peak times or will be clamped.

You'd happily pay a few pence for a year while some poor worker may risk a days pay if ticketed parking where it's deemed forbidden that's disheartening tbh. As long as someone isn't taking the P by stupidly parking in front of drive ways its no issue I'd say.

Can't understand why a solution to have an access entrance from the free car park to the units can't be sought myself.

Actually Wrongway1985 the people that live near the showgrounds are tormented with workers cars up and down their narrow roads. Its outrageous that the Showgrounds got planning permission for their sh*te parking - if you need a security man in a shopping centre carpark, you've messed up somewhere. Its a disaster of a place to get in and out of, queues of traffic in all directions; and there is plenty of parking on top for the staff - lets face it, there aren't that many shops open in the centre. They should have been made to provide proper access to the centre and enough parking for staff and patrons. Another brown envelope job.

The Davis Road for instance, Management of the Showgrounds shopping centre insist their tenants staff park elsewhere at peak times or will be clamped.

The staff should take this up with management. I don't see why local residents should have to put up with cars parked all over the place because of it.

People who don't park outside others houses just have a bit of common decency and give a thought to older people or people with young's kids, buggies, etc."

Rubbish. No matter where you park you are outside someone house. T o try to suggest people who park in a public area do not have common decency is not worth replying to and is a lol to me

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

[quote=

Rubbish. No matter where you park you are outside someone house. T o try to suggest people who park in a public area do not have common decency is not worth replying to and is a lol to me[/quote]

Good man, you did reply though, and I'm not sure if you are being deliberately awkward or genuinely don't have a clue, I never mentioned public areas, I mentioned parking outside spaces that are obviously in front of people's homes. But as I said if it sits okay with you, you do. As you say no laws are broken.

And no, there are options to park that aren't outside people's homes. You should possibly try googling car parks, if you didn't realise such things existed.

Anyway Jack, you obviously are just going to do as you please, work away, good lad.

People who don't park outside others houses just have a bit of common decency and give a thought to older people or people with young's kids, buggies, etc."

Rubbish. No matter where you park you are outside someone house. T o try to suggest people who park in a public area do not have common decency is not worth replying to and is a lol to me

And is a lol to me....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Actually Wrongway1985 the people that live near the showgrounds are tormented with workers cars up and down their narrow roads. Its outrageous that the Showgrounds got planning permission for their sh*te parking - if you need a security man in a shopping centre carpark, you've messed up somewhere. Its a disaster of a place to get in and out of, queues of traffic in all directions; and there is plenty of parking on top for the staff - lets face it, there aren't that many shops open in the centre. They should have been made to provide proper access to the centre and enough parking for staff and patrons. Another brown envelope job.
    Is that the centre where there are horrendous ramps going up to the roof parking?
    And it's so narrow when you do get up there.
    The centre itself is depressing with all the shops closing in there.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What shops have closed in there recently as a matter of interest? Can honestly never say I've noticed the parking to narrow any more so than any car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Clonmel that will install an aftermarket Bluetooth kit in my car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

What shops have closed in there recently as a matter of interest? Can honestly never say I've noticed the parking to narrow any more so than any car park?

I find that car park really handy.
    What I would think is a flaw, is that there is no way to go directly from the car park to Argos side.

It's a bit of a pain when you just want to pop in as fast as possible to collect say, a microwave in Argos, and the car park at ground level is full. A simple lift on the Argos/M&S side would have done the trick, provided you could fit a trolley in it.
    I usually come into town with lots of jobs to be done, and a limited amount of time, so the walk through the shopping center to Argos then all the way back to the lift/elevator is just a pain.

And is a lol to me....

:-) :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend somewhere in Clonmel that will install an aftermarket Bluetooth kit in my car?

Keith Grimson in Irishtown is your only man. Clonmel Auto Electric. Right opposite the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Some residential streets in the vicinity of the showgrounds the houses have no off street parking and the residents are generally elderly - even though there is official council signage pointing out that parking on these roads is for residents only showgrounds staff park all day on these roads, often with wheels on the path.

Keith Grimson in Irishtown is your only man. Clonmel Auto Electric. Right opposite the church.

I'd second Keith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The staff should take this up with management. I don't see why local residents should have to put up with cars parked all over the place because of it.

Of course they have it's fallen on deaf ears.

The so called centre manager on the weekend (a time where staff aren't allowed park on the premises) of the rave in the greyhound track he shut off a majority of the car park to detract the public from peaking in. If it could be afforded to do this you can certainly afford to facilitate your tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

Great turnout to the mini marathon. congrats on organising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Great turnout to the mini marathon. congrats on organising it.

Brilliant event. Where the finish line was seemed like really good planning, minimum disruption to traffic. I ran on my own but there was great camaraderie and support from other runners

The only complaint I had about the whole event was that there seemed to be a lot of walkers starting at the front, which can be headwrecking for runners who are trying to make a good start, but I didn't see any signage to divide the starting crowds by their anticipated finish times so I'd imagine most of them didn't know any different or started with friends who were running.

julyjane wrote: »
    The only complaint I had about the whole event was that there seemed to be a lot of walkers starting at the front, which can be headwrecking for runners who are trying to make a good start, but I didn't see any signage to divide the starting crowds by their anticipated finish times so I'd imagine most of them didn't know any different or started with friends who were running.

I heard this from other people as well. If you had participated in any races before commonsense would tell you that if you are slower, start near the back. Some people have no cop on. They walk 7 abreast, across the road and don't give a hoot about anyone else.

• Advertisement

I hear O'Donnells pub on O' Connell street is to become a wine bar?

Advertisement