Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

solerina wrote: »
    Seriously....an abandoned mart ?
    If that's the best they have to live in then I do have sympathy for them...health and safety & insurance considerations are hardly your business anyway !!!

So let a situation like what developed in the clonmel arms hotel emerge again in a different derilict site in the midst of a residential area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Why don't the county council compulsory buy the mart and the old Merriot radiators eyesore and build housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Why don't the county council compulsory buy the mart and the old Merriot radiators eyesore and build housing

Make too much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Make too much sense.

If it makes economic sense, why wouldn't some developer purchase it and build houses ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Aldi looked for planning permission to build another store on the site of the old mart a couple of years ago but got turned down,the old Barlows radiator factory was bought a few years ago by Gleeson steel works from Gortnahoe.

• Advertisement

Out running tonight I passed by the old meat factory in upper Irishtown,another huge site going to waste,ideal for a housing development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

The County Council should be purchasing up these old commercial sites and transforming them into social housing - its not the job of any developer to build social housing - its the county councils job and they could employ a lot of young people in the trades with apprenticeships - two birds with one stone. The problem I think is no accountability - a lot of fat cats in the county council, no fear of losing their cushy jobs and no targets or milestones for them to reach - no skin off their nose if they never build a house! The Old Mart would make lovely elderly single storey housing; people could walk to town and shops etc. Old Meat factory in Irishtown may flood or may have flooded in the past but they could certainly use it for family 2/3 bedroom housing - a small development - they just can't be bothered.

The County Council should be purchasing up these old commercial sites and transforming them into social housing - its not the job of any developer to build social housing - its the county councils job and they could employ a lot of young people in the trades with apprenticeships - two birds with one stone. The problem I think is no accountability - a lot of fat cats in the county council, no fear of losing their cushy jobs and no targets or milestones for them to reach - no skin off their nose if they never build a house! The Old Mart would make lovely elderly single storey housing; people could walk to town and shops etc. Old Meat factory in Irishtown may flood or may have flooded in the past but they could certainly use it for family 2/3 bedroom housing - a small development - they just can't be bothered.

There are possible barriers to your very sensible proposal. One is money to buy the sites and another is their zoning. Change zoning and the purchase price will go through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

The old Mart and the old Radiator factory are in a flooding area - regardless of the great flood relief work done in recent years, its still regarded as such and could be a problem for things like house insurance and future development. The print works opposite that is being redeveloped currently had many hoops to jump through to satisfy developers because of these reasons.

Anyhow, as I have pointed out, there are already people living in the Mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Flood insurance seems to be harder to get in Clonmel the last two years Clonmel is listed as a flood risk therefore insurance companies are not offering policies with it included in my recent experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I'm not talking about Council housing at all.
    The Mart/Merriott site would make an ideal location for private housing, albeit that some could be let to Council housing applicants.
    Something similar to O Connell Court or Hughes Mill or Dromeala, depending on what the Developer had in mind

I don't know what you're blaming the council for, they can't build anything unless they get the money from the government and that's where the real problem is,the county councils barely have enough money for the normal day to day works that they carry out.

tippspur wrote: »
    I don't know what you're blaming the council for, they can't build anything unless they get the money from the government and that's where the real problem is,the county councils barely have enough money for the normal day to day works that they carry out.

I think you are absolutely spot on here.
    As some of you know, im involved with the greenway project along with Hinault and the dynamic at local and national government is worlds apart. That said, the Leader funding might be an option if a group was to approach South Tipp development Company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Do you for one second think it’s that simple? You do understand how local government is funded for a start? Re zoning of land? Planning laws? How would local resident groups feel about having an influx of housing in their area? If I remember correctly you were having kittens over a concert near you during the summer. The jibes about fat cats and no accountability and targets just makes your argument look silly too being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Our next door neighbour was burgled yesterday evening at around 8:30pm.

Make sure you lock your doors and windows.

Think I have enough problems :-)

I saw a "Sold" sign on it yesterday..Did you change your mind ;-)

Is there a spot on the mountain to aim saorview aerials at the transmitter?

Put up a new aerial and on a cloudy day I get no channels but when it's clear I can pick most of them up. I've aligned it as best I can using phone to 148 degs as per the saorview map but obviously a particular point of reference would be much easier

The mast is located on the road up to the Holy Year Cross. Where exactly are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

cml387 wrote: »
    The mast is located on the road up to the Holy Year Cross. Where exactly are you?

Ninja delete fail on my part.

Duno how I didn't just see it there. Head down in phone looking at compass too much. Thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

I saw a "Sold" sign on it yesterday..Did you change your mind ;-)

I thought you bought it :-)

The Guards now say that three houses were burgled last night. There were four of them. Keep a look out for any suspicious characters in your estate, especially after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

cml387 wrote: »
    The Guards now say that three houses were burgled last night. There were four of them. Keep a look out for any suspicious characters in your estate, especially after dark.

What area of town has been hit?

maximo31 wrote: »
    What area of town has been hit?

Last night around the Cashel Road

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭bobster453

Charleville Credit Union has been put into provisional liquidation.
    It is only six months since Clonmel Credit Union was planning on merging with Charleville and less time since member pressure led to this being called off.
    This begs the questions
    If Clonmel Credit Union was following due diligence why were the difficulties in Charleville not highlighted?
    What part did the Central Bank play in trying to get Clonnel to merge with Charleville?
    Had member power not led to this merger being cancelled Clonmel Credit Union would today be in dire straits.
    I wonder will our public representatives run with these questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

The man on the street knew Charleville was in trouble and that they were trying to use Clonmel to plug their accounts.

Our elected representatives say bugger all when any difficult questions are put to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

THere was several public meetings held in Clonmel attended by all the local public representatives highlighting their opposition to the merger and charlevilles financial problems....,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What, exactly was the problem in Charleville Credit Union.?

washman3 wrote: »
    What, exactly was the problem in Charleville Credit Union.?
    Too many bad loans in the recession. €45 million in assets, supposed to have 10% of total as reserve or €4.5 million, only had €1.2 million leading to possibility of defaults wiping out reserves so the Central Bank stepped in to protect the assets and appointed provisional liquidators.

THere was several public meetings held in Clonmel attended by all the local public representatives highlighting their opposition to the merger and charlevilles financial problems....,
    Indeed they did, my point is will they now ask the questions as per my original post of both Clonmel Credit Union and the Central Bank and/or the Department of Finance.
    My info is that the Central Bank had a key role in trying to get Clonmel Credit Union to merge with Charleville, why do that when they were in difficulty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

bobster453 wrote: »
    Too many bad loans in the recession. €45 million in assets, supposed to have 10% of total as reserve or €4.5 million, only had €1.2 million leading to possibility of defaults wiping out reserves so the Central Bank stepped in to protect the assets and appointed provisional liquidators.

Thanks for explaining that.
    But surely a credit union was never set up for sums like that.!!
    €45 million in assets and a reserve of €4.5 million.! That's crazy amounts for an entity that was formed largely volunteers in smaller communities.
    Charleville is only a very small town FFS.
    Where is Financial regulation.?

• Advertisement

Hard to know whether it is too high or not

For instance, according to the 2016 AGM of Clonmel Credit Union it had over €175 million in assets, just over 53.5€ million in loans outstanding and members resources stood at just shy of €40.5 million.

Granted at that stage I think Fethard and possibly Mullinahone CU's had merged with Clonmel which would have boosted the figures.

Taking the 10% rule Clonmel CU therefore had to have €17.5 million in reserve and had no problem with that.

Advertisement