Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Would it be the quality of Unique ?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

julyjane wrote: »
    Dark coloured helicopter circling the showgrounds right now whoever it is. I was just getting into my car on the roof and thought maybe it was going to land on the dog track but it just went around in a circle at least twice

It was an Air Corps helicopter..don't know what they were doing, did a few circuits around all right..impressive looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Recliner wrote: »
    It was an Air Corps helicopter..don't know what they were doing, did a few circuits around all right..impressive looking..

I was thinking it was something like air corps because it was so close I could see that the door was open and a man in army coloured clothing was standing in the open doorway looking out. I have a young child who was excited looking at it so we stayed watching til it left. Maybe it is something to do with the plans for the barracks - an open plaza which will be another footfall driver for the centre.

The unit where Sports savers used to be was being cleared out yesterday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Is that Barracks project starting soon ?

I thought maybe it was another one that had just fallen by the wayside...
    What about the island project ?

The island is just such the obvious place for brilliant summer gigs and/or festivals, I can't believe it's not been developed yet.

For a town that has so much potential, it feels like nothing's being done, or it's being done arsewise.

There's some kind of a hoarding up about the barracks becoming some kind of "plaza" - I didn't take much notice of it but I envisaged something about the size of the William Vincent Wallace plaza in Waterford.

The new Dealz shop sounds a bit like Penneys by another name but people seem to be excited about it anyway.

• Advertisement

The island is just such the obvious place for brilliant summer gigs and/or festivals, I can't believe it's not been developed yet.

The island is an obvious place for flood water

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody ever seen a floor plan of the showgrounds? or know where one might be available?

The island is an obvious place for flood water

You don't tend to have outdoor concerts and festivals in Autumn/Winter though, and mostly not Spring either. And you can cancel in case of flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

You don't tend to have outdoor concerts and festivals in Autumn/Winter though, and mostly not Spring either. And you can cancel in case of flooding.

Given the opposition to the "concert" in the Showgrounds last year I don't think that concerts on Suir island would go down too well.

What kind of thing have you in mind ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

I can't help but feel I remember seeing some county council post on Facebook saying there was plans for more parking to be opened on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Yes you are correct.
    There are proposals for 264 extra carparks spaces and other works including a footbridge to the island from Sarsfield street.
    I think that these developments would effectively be "Phase 1" of the development of the entire island.
    There is a fairly detailed report on the Tipp County Council website about it - search for "Part 8 Development of Suir Island"

klose wrote: »
    I can't help but feel I remember seeing some county council post on Facebook saying there was plans for more parking to be opened on the island?

Was that connected to a proposed redevelopment of the Clonmel arms? It's ringing a bell alright but I think there was to be permission applied for however many bedrooms and the island car park was to be the solution to parking for the hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Has anybody ever seen a floor plan of the showgrounds? or know where one might be available?
    try the view scanned files tab - blue tab along the bottom- at http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/06550132/0

try the view scanned files tab - blue tab along the bottom- at http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/06550132/0

Thanks, I'll have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

look at the drawings/photos down near the end of scanned files

look at the drawings/photos down near the end of scanned files

I think this is the best pic I could find at the moment. It looked like the planned for the anchor tenant to be a lot bigger.

http://193.178.30.68/idocswebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=242866&format=jpeg

This is the originally plan. My last link mightn't have worked.

27656986_1808008449232374_596944524583116183_n.jpg?oh=533c6131c544cd3c5905df137898ced2&oe=5AE48637

Vizzy wrote: »
    Given the opposition to the "concert" in the Showgrounds last year I don't think that concerts on Suir island would go down too well.

What kind of thing have you in mind ?

A park landscaped from scratch for recreation and fitness all year round, and concerts or festivals in the summer.
    A concrete, permanent amphitheatre type of amenity, or simply a dry area to be used for setting up a stage, or stalls.

Music festivals, any music, blues, folk, trad, jazz, pop ...
    Food festivals, a salmon themed festival ?
    I remember when I first moved to Clonmel from France being amazed at the salmon going up the weir every year, right there, in town, in the town's river ! Not something you see every day.
    Craft festivals and flea markets,
    etc...

I was in a town in the US this year where they have a big salmon barbecue day. They have these portable trolleys with coal at the bottom and the salmon hangs in baskets over, it gets slowly smoked all evening/night, you have a few tents with those benches and wooden tables, a band, everyone socializes, eats lovey salmon and chips, there's obviously some selling/market going on too (local producers) ...

The mountain, it's easy to get up to the crosses, have the annual walk up and down with torches (non denominational if possible or open to all anyway), and a big barbecue/market/concert after it in the park.

Here's an example of Cognac, a town of not quite 20 000 inhabitants, and their blues festival in a park. https://www.bluespassions.com/festival/le-jardin-public/

I only thought of it because I was in the campsite right across from the park one year as it was on, and heard the whole Sting concert that night sitting with a glass of wine outside our camper. :D

Any project will require to push through initial reluctance and cynicism.
    Series of concerts indoors like has been done are great, but they'll never succeed at creating the outdoor festival feel.

Husband is a musician and so would be a lot more specific and versed in what is really needed to make a great music festival, but he agrees (in fact he brought it up recently) that the island, being central and exotic, would tick all the boxes. There just needs to be a will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

I see Mcdonalds is closing in town for the guts of a month, must be a serious renovation they are doing. I assume they are adding those digital order kiosks, I find them really handy anytime I've used em but they are hardly good for the jobs there.

I see Mcdonalds is closing in town for the guts of a month, must be a serious renovation they are doing. I assume they are adding those digital order kiosks, I find them really handy anytime I've used em but they are hardly good for the jobs there.

I've seen some Mcdonalds do this and I didn't notice a massive reduction in stuff the only thing that I found to be reduced was the seats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Are they going to be open for Valentines??

Surely they are not closing for the busiest night of the year for eating out!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think most McDonalds that aren't up to the new standards (machines to order on etc) are getting upgraded at the mo. Cork Rd. in Waterford has been closed down for a while too for renovations.

The staff will be getting a shuttle bus to Cork McDs for work I think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

A park landscaped from scratch for recreation and fitness all year round, and concerts or festivals in the summer.

The recent exhibition by Shay Hurley and the Suircan group at the Library included drawings for the current council plan for the island. Apparently there were Turkish baths there for a period in the early part of the 20th century and those buildings are to be renovated along with a new bridge and many other things.

One of the main problems might be an unknown amount of asbestos which probably lies in some rubble piles there. That will require an expensive solution.
    You can see some of the images here on the Suircan Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/suircanforum/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MaSz

Anyone knows whats happening in quinn radiators building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A concrete, permanent amphitheatre type of amenity, or simply a dry area to be used for setting up a stage, or stalls.

Music festivals, any music, blues, folk, trad, jazz, pop ...
    Food festivals, a salmon themed festival ?
    I remember when I first moved to Clonmel from France being amazed at the salmon going up the weir every year, right there, in town, in the town's river ! Not something you see every day.
    Craft festivals and flea markets,
    etc...

I was in a town in the US this year where they have a big salmon barbecue day. They have these portable trolleys with coal at the bottom and the salmon hangs in baskets over, it gets slowly smoked all evening/night, you have a few tents with those benches and wooden tables, a band, everyone socializes, eats lovey salmon and chips, there's obviously some selling/market going on too (local producers) ...

The mountain, it's easy to get up to the crosses, have the annual walk up and down with torches (non denominational if possible or open to all anyway), and a big barbecue/market/concert after it in the park.

Some great suggestions there. Town would be buzzing if they got a few of those ideas going.

MaSz wrote: »
    Anyone knows whats happening in quinn radiators building?

cars sales setting up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

cars sales setting up there

Do we know who ?

Do we know who ?

Freeman Motors over at the old Central Garage at the old bridge are moving in there I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Just FYI and in case there are occasional visitors to this thread, the signs are up saying that the renovations are postponed.

So a Valentine's day treat is still possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

cml387 wrote:
    So a Valentine's day treat is still possible.

Phew :-)

Advertisement