Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I have no water in Kickham Street. Anyone know if any of the supermarkets open this morning? Aldi or Dunnes Oakville closest. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Dunnes closed all over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have no water in Kickham Street. Anyone know if any of the supermarkets open this morning? Aldi or Dunnes Oakville closest. TIA

Lidl's in Munster are meant to be open until 3PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I'm near enough you by the sounds of it. If you have containers that need filling, PM me and you can come here.

I'm near enough you by the sounds of it. If you have containers that need filling, PM me and you can come here.

Thank you so much, that is very kind of you to offer. I will def do that if it doesn't come back. Much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Supervalue is open until 3pm I'm told. Psst they milk and bread as well!) ;)

Water back on in The Foot Care Centre in Kickham Street but thank you to secondrowgal for offering to let me get water. Snow on roof melting but I'm assuming it will get worse before it gets better. If anyone needs water, I can help out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

Some places not open at all this morning is a little dramatic no? I had no issue traveling this morning.

Iceman1984 wrote: »
    Some places not open at all this morning is a little dramatic no? I had no issue traveling this morning.

The issue is getting home to be honest and if anything happened to anybody it wouldn't look good on the employer. So, it's just easier to close for the day and make it nationwide with certain chains because some managers doesn't have a clue.

The issue is getting home to be honest and if anything happened to anybody it wouldn't look good on the employer. So, it's just easier to close for the day and make it nationwide with certain chains because some mangers doesn't have a clue.

Yeah I get that but surely open until lunch time would of been no issue. Most people live within 1 hour of their place of work. The storm isnt due to hit until 4pm

• Advertisement

Yeah I get that but surely open until lunch time would of been no issue. Most people live within 1 hour of their place of work. The storm isnt due to hit until 4pm

I get what your saying but we live in a world where people don't have common sense at times. If Dunnes for example left it up to indivdual stores Today Clonmel might be fine but I know people in Cork and it's almost impossible for them to get out but some manager would insist on opening.
    It also takes the way the risk of claims etc and it generally gets a good reaction online.

I get what your saying but we live in a world where people don't have common sense at times. If Dunnes for example left it up to indivdual stores Today Clonmel might be fine but I know people in Cork and it's almost impossible for them to get out but some manager would insist on opening.
    It also takes the way the risk of claims etc and it generally gets a good reaction online.

True, you'd wonder do the big chains write it off as a marketing exercise?

"Yes we treat treat our staff terrible, pay terrible & trap people with zero hour contracts but look we gave them the day off when it snowed."

"Yes we treat treat our staff terrible, pay terrible & trap people with zero hour contracts but look we gave them the day off when it snowed."

With pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Ya I don't think they are paying the staff :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Anybody still waiting for the snow apocalypse?
    It's now 10:30pm, six hours after we were told to stay indoors and I can see a light dusting of snow, far less than 2010 and barely enough to cover a tiny matchstick.

cml387 wrote: »
    It's now 10:30pm, six hours after we were told to stay indoors and I can see a light dusting of snow, far less than 2010 and barely enough to cover a tiny matchstick.

This picture really sums it up.
    This was taken by the Gardai about 20km apart and the main reason the snow isn't on the road in picture two is because it's the motorway!
    28377601_1522409041189725_6849612500326381951_n.jpg?oh=7a2a0a794d1f1db808515d422701ae6f&oe=5B0A5469

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

cml387 wrote: »

Well I'm only a few miles from Clonmel and there's a slow but steady build up of very fine snow and if it goes on all night it will be substantial. Anyway we are not forecast to get anything like the coastal counties.
    In blizzard conditions it doesn't take a huge amount to cause chaos. it's how the wind piles it up that causes problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I live 25 minutes away from Clonmel, Dungarvan side.
    To get out of my house if I was one of these workers, I would have had to travel 5 km on absolutely positively treacherous secondary roads before I hit the main road. Downhill on the way out, and then having to chance going uphill on icy/snowy secondary roads again on the way back, possibly with snow lashing on the windscreen.

There's between 5-10 cm on the road here depending on location and drift, and a layer of ice under from the early melted bit.

H&S folks H&S It's a lose lose if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Well did Clonmel get anything overnight ?

I'm delighted here we still have power (fingers and toes crossed), we didn't get a lot more snow, maybe 10 cm more, but it's all in drifts. It's weird, the snow we had yesterday is redistributed : 30/40 cm drifts in front of doors, obstacles like hedges and flowerpots, but the roof and parts of the drive way that are more exposed were swept clear of their stuff.
    I can see it as I type, with each gust snow dust is moved from A to B.

I'd imagine the roads are the same, and some spots must be completely impassable while others would almost look clear.

• Advertisement

About 7 miles NE of Clonmel, no drifting worth talking about as far as I can see but it is probably different in elevated areas.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?

attachmentid=444061&stc=1&d=1519980178

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Well did Clonmel get anything overnight ?

Yes, my normally busy street near the town centre has a couple of inches of snow on the road. I've seen only three cars and five pedestrians pass by in the last hour. I'm enjoying the break from the traffic noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Four inches (as scientifically measured by an umbrella ferrule) this morning but it's still snowing.
    I can just about make out the kerb from the road.

It's about the most snow I've ever seen in Clonmel.

I'm in the middle of town and its still snowing. Wierdly its melting off the dormer window (probably because of the heating) but sleety outside. Can't see the difference between the road and the footpath, deep enough to keep only the hardy outside - mostly dog walkers. I think the 4pm countrywide closure was a bit OTT but that's because i live in a town. If I lived in a rural spot, that was probably the right call. And I still have electricity and water so that's a bonus.

I'm in the middle of town and its still snowing. Wierdly its melting off the dormer window (probably because of the heating) but sleety outside. Can't see the difference between the road and the footpath, deep enough to keep only the hardy outside - mostly dog walkers. I think the 4pm countrywide closure was a bit OTT but that's because i live in a town. If I lived in a rural spot, that was probably the right call. And I still have electricity and water so that's a bonus.

I don't blame them really. As I read it they were expecting the storm to hit the south coast at about 6pm so they chose two hours in advance of that time as a caution deadline.
    Human nature being as it is they knew some people would leave it till the last minute and later.

Definitely a substantial thaw going on here for the last two hours.
    Misery, but at least the power stayed on.

dieselbug wrote: »
    I don't blame them really. As I read it they were expecting the storm to hit the south coast at about 6pm so they chose two hours in advance of that time as a caution deadline.
    Human nature being as it is they knew some people would leave it till the last minute and later.

Definitely a substantial thaw going on here for the last two hours.
    Misery, but at least the power stayed on.

Yes, the thaw seems to be setting in. What’s falling now is very wet and soft.

Dunnes Carpark being cleared of snow in readiness for tomorrow? Not sure why they are bothering, its landing as quick as he's clearing it.

We may not be finished with it yet. Continuing to fall fairly heavy and with temperatures falling in the next hour or two we could be looking at things getting worse before they get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Is anyone’s sky tv gone?

• Advertisement

All in all wrote: »
    Is anyone’s sky tv gone?

We had to knock the snow off our dish earlier.

Advertisement