Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

A couple of years ago I was in the council office to make a payment. As I was at the counter looking for my wallet, my phone rang - luckily I chose to answer, as it was the library calling to say they had my wallet.

Apparently I had dropped it between the car and council office, someone had handed it in to the library and they looked up my phone number on their system ( library card in the wallet). Really grateful, as I didn't end up having to cancel my cards..

Unlike my wife - she drove off from same location having left her purse on the car roof. Cancelled her cards later that day. Her purse was found on the road near Eldons by an elderly gent who handed it in to the Garda Station next day.

So, two happy outcomes for us in Clonmel.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

I found a wallet once, driving licence and bank cards in it as well as a few cards like membership cards that would have been important for the owner. He had a very common name and generic rural address so it would have taken a bit of detective work on my part to track down the owner.
    Except he also had an organ donor card with the name and mobile number of his next of kin so one phone call to his wife and she got the wallet and money back within minutes.

Moral of the story, carry a donor card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

Finally, a butcher is opening at the Showgrounds! In the unit where Chick King was beside Fine Wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

pooch90 wrote: »
    Finally, a butcher is opening at the Showgrounds! In the unit where Chick King was beside Fine Wines.

Any idea what it is?
    Is it independent or a chain such as The Butchers Block?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Independent as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,677 ✭✭✭✭klose

It's called the gourmet butcher (very original) according to their Facebook. Good to see a couple of units opening down there, still needs a lot more tenants for it to be a big draw.

I remember seeing a billboard advertising shopping at the showgrounds in waterford the Christmas before last, had a laugh to myself when I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iceman1984

Best of luck to them, I have to admire anyone that goes out & opens a small business in the current climate. Good addition to Showgrounds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Great ! I often do a bit of browsing in showgrounds in the morning (read : spend an hour in TK Maxx looking at absolutely every freaking little thing), and then head off to Lidl for the weekly shop. I wouldn't really make a detour to go to a small butcher's normally, but it'll be easy to slot in the butcher's before Lidl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

pooch90 wrote: »

great :D lets hope they last longer than Chick king :D

Does anyone know of anybody good with Pc's or laptops in the area

klose wrote: »
    It's called the gourmet butcher (very original) according to their Facebook. Good to see a couple of units opening down there, still needs a lot more tenants for it to be a big draw.

I remember seeing a billboard advertising shopping at the showgrounds in waterford the Christmas before last, had a laugh to myself when I saw it.

I’ve seen ads myself advertising shopping in Waterford and have had a laugh to myself when I saw it. Can’t think of anything that would bring me to Waterford shopping. Cork yes Dublin certainly Limerick probably but Waterford....

• Advertisement

Water contaminated near Mullinahone affecting a wide area. http://tippfm.com/news/health/kerosene-spill-contaminates-tipp-water-supply/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Saw a good few people in Tesco Clonmel last night with multiple trolleys full of packs of water bottles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Water contaminated near Mullinahone affecting a wide area. http://tippfm.com/news/health/kerosene-spill-contaminates-tipp-water-supply/

I have been very sick in the stomach since Thursday and I was wondering if it was from the water.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Expunge wrote: »
    Saw a good few people in Tesco Clonmel last night with multiple trolleys full of packs of water bottles.

Good news for the Glenpatrick factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Apparently from kerosene storage at Mullinahone Co-op. That is really bad form, by regulation these fuels should be kept in bunded storage to stop such leakages.

They will be in for some reaming by the EPA and rightly so.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Pretty sure China kitchen was open at the weekend

The article does say that it reopened within days.

The article does say that it reopened within days.

China Kitchen and Flame Street Food were found to be dirty and not storing food correctly, while Hennessy Garden Centre was found to be unclean.

All quickly reopened within days having corrected the food safety issues, with the exception of China Kitchen and Hennessy Garden Centre’s cafe which still remain shut.

• Advertisement

China kitchen has been shut down plenty of times, how people still eat there is beyond me.

China Kitchen and Flame Street Food were found to be dirty and not storing food correctly, while Hennessy Garden Centre was found to be unclean.

All quickly reopened within days having corrected the food safety issues, with the exception of China Kitchen and Hennessy Garden Centre’s cafe which still remain shut.

You’re right. I must have misunderstood the radio.

klose wrote: »
    China kitchen has been shut down plenty of times, how people still eat there is beyond me.

Has it really? I honestly never noticed. For something similar to the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Loughc wrote: »
    Good news for the Glenpatrick factory.

That may be a short term advantage for them, but just thinking about it I imagine it must be a nightmare for any industry in the serviced area depending on that supply. I mean how are farmers managing to water animals even and dairying, how are they washing and cleaning their machine, storage tanks etc.
    Has to be an absolute disaster.

dieselbug wrote: »
    That may be a short term advantage for them, but just thinking about it I imagine it must be a nightmare for any industry in the serviced area depending on that supply. I mean how are farmers managing to water animals even and dairying, how are they washing and cleaning their machine, storage tanks etc.

Well it depends on the farmer but a good few would have wells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

dieselbug wrote: »

Short answer is that they are not !!

I know 2 farmers who are drawing water for all their dairying needs from a different water source.

I'd say that the likes of Ribworld in Fethard would have had to dump all the products that they have made in the last few days and they now have no water to continue production this week, unless they "tanker it in"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Vizzy wrote: »
    Short answer is that they are not !!

I know 2 farmers who are drawing water for all their dairying needs from a different water source.

I'd say that the likes of Ribworld in Fethard would have had to dump all the products that they have made in the last few days and they now have no water to continue production this week, unless they "tanker it in"

I'm not sure about the process in Ribworld. Do they just cook and package the product. Raw product probably arrives chilled or frozen so there's possibly no direct contact with water. Cleaning and sterilizing of handing equipment might be the big issue there.
    Just guessing though.

What amount of drinking water would a milking cow consume daily multiplied by at least a hundred probably in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Not sure about the need for water for Ribworld, but as you say, there would be a need for washing/sterilising of all the handling equipment, so anything that this equipment has touched in the last few days is potentially contaminated.

I think(but I'm not certain of this) that cows can probably drink the water as the % of contaminent in the River Anner would be very, very low.
    Problem that arises is in relation to "treated water" for human consumption as the kerosene will "stick" to all the pipework and filtration equipment, so everything needs to be deep cleaned

Has it really? I honestly never noticed. For something similar to the above?

https://www.google.ie/url?q=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/twelve-food-businesses-closed-over-food-safety-breaches-1.2675463%3Fmode%3Damp&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi59bnykNvZAhUpyKYKHdNFAp4QFggOMAE&usg=AOvVaw3fgwdgQM9ENNXmkZ-hvjp-

Was shut in 2016 according to this article, I honestly feel its been closed atleast once more again but can't find a link.

• Advertisement

Apparently from kerosene storage at Mullinahone Co-op. That is really bad form, by regulation these fuels should be kept in bunded storage to stop such leakages.

They will be in for some reaming by the EPA and rightly so.

The CEO says sorry http://tippfm.com/news/ceo-company-behind-kerosene-leak-apologises/

Advertisement