Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Thanks for the heads up. Since it's not their first closure (another commenter found they had been shut down in 2016), I took the opportunity to visit the Food Safety Authority's publicly accessible closure orders to see China Kitchen's failures this time. https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Enforcement_and_Audit/Orders/CO-003-02-2018_R.pdf

Here are the failures for those who don't click links:
    The premises had not been cleaned in a considerable time and this was evident from mould growth on surfaces adjacent to food storage and preparation, heavy build up of grease and food debris in a number of areas including the gas cooker, wok cooker, work surfaces, food containers and utensils. Dirty cardboard on the floor, extraction hood and grease filters were encrusted with grease and dirt. All fridges were in poor condition with rusty shelving and dirty and damaged seals. Pools of blood and raw meat juices were noted in one of the fridges. Large accumulations of dirt and old food debris were found behind freezers.

The [redacted] food worker [redacted] was not maintaining a high degree of personal cleanliness and was wearing a dirty, ripped apron. No hand washing occurred during the inspection despite raw meat being directly handled.

2 boxes of cooked chicken pieces were stored directly in raw chicken cardboard boxes.
    Food stored in dirty, defective, chipped containers.
    Container of raw sausages stored directly on cooked pork.
    Food stored in non food grade bins or containers.
    Raw meat not suitably wrapped in the freezer resulting in freezer burn.
    Food waste, including two refuse sacks of waste and 5 dirty buckets of used oil were stored in a food room where trays of cooked meats were cooling.
    The document is dated 14th February 2018. Happy Valentine's Day dear. Which cross-contaminant encouraging, dirty equipment using, pathogenic bacteria feasting, potential gastroenteritis haven, non-handwashing restaurant, shall we eat at today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

All quickly reopened within days having corrected the food safety issues, with the exception of China Kitchen and Hennessy Garden Centre’s cafe which still remain shut.

Where is Hennessys garden centre ?

Is it on the Carlow side of Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,488 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's in Gorahan in Kilkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Qreq wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. Since it's not their first closure (another commenter found they had been shut down in 2016), I took the opportunity to visit the Food Safety Authority's publicly accessible closure orders to see China Kitchen's failures this time. https://www.fsai.ie/uploadedFiles/Enforcement_and_Audit/Orders/CO-003-02-2018_R.pdf

The premises had not been cleaned in a considerable time and this was evident from mould growth on surfaces adjacent to food storage and preparation, heavy build up of grease and food debris in a number of areas including the gas cooker, wok cooker, work surfaces, food containers and utensils. Dirty cardboard on the floor, extraction hood and grease filters were encrusted with grease and dirt. All fridges were in poor condition with rusty shelving and dirty and damaged seals. Pools of blood and raw meat juices were noted in one of the fridges. Large accumulations of dirt and old food debris were found behind freezers.

The [redacted] food worker [redacted] was not maintaining a high degree of personal cleanliness and was wearing a dirty, ripped apron. No hand washing occurred during the inspection despite raw meat being directly handled.

2 boxes of cooked chicken pieces were stored directly in raw chicken cardboard boxes.
    Food stored in dirty, defective, chipped containers.
    Container of raw sausages stored directly on cooked pork.
    Food stored in non food grade bins or containers.
    Raw meat not suitably wrapped in the freezer resulting in freezer burn.
    Food waste, including two refuse sacks of waste and 5 dirty buckets of used oil were stored in a food room where trays of cooked meats were cooling.
    The document is dated 14th February 2018. Happy Valentine's Day dear. Which cross-contaminant encouraging, dirty equipment using, pathogenic bacteria feasting, potential gastroenteritis haven, non-handwashing restaurant, shall we eat at today?
    I actually feel queasy reading that!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Is it on the Carlow side of Kilkenny?

Thanks

It's in Gorahan in Kilkenny!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

And they were left reopen after that? That's not a careless mistake here and there. That sounds like the whole place is rotten to the core. Can people be banned from ever owning or working in a restaurant. If you operated a car that dangerously you'd get a ban for several years. I hope the Nationalist puts that report on their front page.

If theres enough sauce on food,you wouldnt know what you would be eating..And a fella might think twas the drink that had him in a sitting position all the next day.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Does anybody know for a fact where you can get white soda bread in town? The brown and a white/wholemeal hybrid version is easy to find. My parents have a hankering for it, but the shops and bakeries I tried don't do the plain white version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Does anybody know for a fact where you can get white soda bread in town? The brown and a white/wholemeal hybrid version is easy to find. My parents have a hankering for it, but the shops and bakeries I tried don't do the plain white version.

prob best call into hickeys near the west gate

pudzey101 wrote: »
    prob best call into hickeys near the west gate

Tried Hickeys, O'Gorman's and the one across from it, M&S, and some other shops. Some of the workers said they've never had the white soda bread as long as they've worked there. Maybe it's an old-fashioned thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Tried Hickeys, O'Gorman's and the one across from it, M&S, and some other shops. Some of the workers said they've never had the white soda bread as long as they've worked there. Maybe it's an old-fashioned thing.

Il ask a neighbor later when i see her , shes a baker , though know she's goona say bake it yourself :) what about tescos , dunnes or supervalue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

What about that Deli place in Irishtown, near the Late Late Foodstore? They do a lot of freshly baked breads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Expunge wrote: »
    What about that Deli place in Irishtown, near the Late Late Foodstore? They do a lot of freshly baked breads, etc.

Aptly named Town House Deli :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Have you tried Hewitts in Mitchel St.

I appreciate the kind "Did you try X shop?" suggestions, however I'm more interested in if anyone knows for a fact where this holy grail is hidden. It would save me repeating the wild goose chase of yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Supervalu does the white sofa bread, they do a white currents soda bread as well. They only do a small amount though. Grangemockler bakery could too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Grangemockler definitely does them because my other half can't pass the place without going in for one. I'd be very surprised if Hewitts didn't do them but they are active enough on Facebook so you might find out there rather than wasting a journey.

Otherwise go to supervalu/dunnes/tesco and buy flour, bread soda and buttermilk

julyjane wrote: »
    Grangemockler definitely does them because my other half can't pass the place without going in for one. I'd be very surprised if Hewitts didn't do them but they are active enough on Facebook so you might find out there rather than wasting a journey.

Otherwise go to supervalu/dunnes/tesco and buy flour, bread soda and buttermilk

Owner of said bakery used work in Superquinn from what i recall.

• Advertisement

xkariex wrote: »
    Supervalu does the white sofa bread, they do a white currents soda bread as well. They only do a small amount though. Grangemockler bakery could too

Thank you! I got the plain white version in Supervalu this morning. You've delighted my parents and saved me more wasted journeys. Much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Thank you! I got the plain white version in Supervalu this morning. You've delighted my parents and saved me more wasted journeys. Much appreciated. :)

Hope you really enjoy it you went to a lot of trouble. Well done !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Two page spread in the Nationalist on the extensive disruption caused by the kerosene spill in Mullinahone last week - however no outright statement of the source of the spill, barely a convoluted hint that the Coop may have been involved. "The Co-op was held with high respect locally and had given great employment to a lot of people". That makes it all right so?!

Bizarre given that those responsible had already made a public apology. Doesn't say much for their standards of investigative journalism!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Nationalist and investigative journalism should not be in the same sentence. they are great at writing about poor people and court cases. that is  it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Two page spread in the Nationalist on the extensive disruption caused by the kerosene spill in Mullinahone last week - however no outright statement of the source of the spill, barely a convoluted hint that the Coop may have been involved. "The Co-op was held with high respect locally and had given great employment to a lot of people". That makes it all right so?!

Bizarre given that those responsible had already made a public apology. Doesn't say much for their standards of investigative journalism!

I'd say the advertising department was looking over the journalist's shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I imagine there is an investigation in progress with regard to whatever lead to the spill so there may be restrictions on how you can report on it.
    I don't understand how it happened myself as there are regulations about storage of oils, acids, chemicals etc. Bunds would be a standard precaution. I wonder was the leak from a mobile tanker, like a truck for example.
    Just speculating mind.

On another subject, lots and lots of water falling at the moment, the kind that can lead to flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

cml387 wrote: »

I'd say the advertising department was looking over the journalist's shoulder.
    maybe one of their political masters

dieselbug wrote:
    I don't understand how it happened myself as there are regulations about storage of oils, acids, chemicals etc.

Rumour has it an attempt was made to steal the oil which led to the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Rumour has it an attempt was made to steal the oil which led to the leak.

That would make sense but why not go public on it? Did their spokesman not say on RTE news that it was weather related?

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote:
    That would make sense but why not go public on it? Did their spokesman not say on RTE news that it was weather related?

I don't know I didn't follow the story at all.

Advertisement