Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Anyone hear anything about a bomb scare yesterday evening??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Anyone hear anything about a bomb scare yesterday evening??

Package found on dungarvan road. The bomb squad attended but turned out to be nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm really curious too about this.
    How do gardaí decide something is suspicious when there is so much littering happening anywhere any time ?

This Tipp fm update says a house was also cordoned off and searched, so maybe there's some specific feud or something going on in the area.
    http://tippfm.com/news/army-bomb-disposal-unit-deal-suspect-device-clonmel/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

This Tipp fm update says a house was also cordoned off and searched, so maybe there's some specific feud or something going on in the area.
    http://tippfm.com/news/army-bomb-disposal-unit-deal-suspect-device-clonmel/
    Very much this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah there is something more to that instance I'd suspect,I know Gardaí are probably just taking precautions there has been trouble over there on a few occasions the last while not sure if this incident ties in with that but regardless not reassuring hearing of potential threats in town like such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

I saw the guards had half blocked the bypass just past the Cahir roundabout at about 6 this evening and had some lad on a Sulky arrested. Wonder what was going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

All sulkies should be taken off the road, the animal welfare issue alone should be enough not to mention the total lack of any safety gear and the way they should total disregard for the rules of the road !! Barbaric....but that group of people seem to be above the law in all instances !!

Anyone know if I could find Lapis lazuli stone anywhere in Clonmel ? The only place I could think of that might have rocks is Honey Pot, but I would guess it's mostly crystals they'd have anyway. Would Fieldmaster have anything like this ? or even the already ground pigments ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I just read about an old murder/witch-burning case in the region. Maybe it's widely known, I don't know.

"Bridget Cleary was an Irish woman killed by her husband in 1895. Her death is notable for several peculiarities: the stated motive for the crime was her husband's belief that she had been abducted by fairies with a changeling left in her place; he claimed to have slain only the changeling."

That quote is from this wiki which goes into more detail on the background and circumstances. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_Witch_of_Clonmel

• Advertisement

I read the book a while ago, this is a really interesting story. Worth getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Clonmel - Kilsheelan riverside path
    I took the new riverside footpath to Kilsheelan the other day to see how much was left to complete. There's a "Bóthar dúinte" barrier across the path a couple of hundred metres short of the steps up to layby/car park in the village. People who've walked the old path might wonder how narrow parts have been dealt with - large rocks and bales of smaller rocks bound by mesh have been used to widen and reinforce the riverbank before tarmac was laid.

Dealz
    Visited the new shop in the Showgrounds. Most of it is dedicated to the normal knick knacks on O'Connell Street but with more allocated shelf space except for tinned food, of which there was little I could find. The clothing section's at the rear. Men's jeans had "was €15 now €11" signs on day one, t-shirts from €2.50. Women's and kids' clothes. There's a sign saying they can only accept cash because the card machines were down. The queue to pay was long to the point that a few people decided to put their stuff back and leave. If you were early enough, you got an envelope with a voucher, mine was for 10% of clothes if I spend €10 between March 23 and 25, 2018. I couldn't find a time machine on the shelves that would help me achieve this space-time conundrum given that the opening day was March 30. :)

The kinks will be worked out after the opening day rush, no doubt. A lot of business was done and it's nice to see the empty units working again. I hope the O'Connell Street branch stays open; its busy often enough that it would seem to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Speaking of kilsheelan does anyone have any info on the wooden structure that has been erected beside the bus stop on the river side of the main road? Seems to have a little brsss plaque on it as if in memory of someone. Think it appear a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Speaking of Kilsheelan does anyone have any info on the wooden structure that has been erected beside the bus stop on the river side of the main road? Seems to have a little brass plaque on it as if in memory of someone. Think it appear a couple of years ago
    Nothing special about it at all, just a wooden Gazabo, the brass plaque just has the name of the person who donated it to the tidy towns.they're building a little Herb garden around it at the moment.

tippspur wrote: »
    Nothing special about it at all, just a wooden Gazabo, the brass plaque just has the name of the person who donated it to the tidy towns.they're building a little Herb garden around it at the moment.

Cool would that be Co Tipp or Co Waterford ? I went back through the planning records on Tipp CoCo and cant see it. Will check if its waterford but i wohld have thought Tipp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

I went back through the planning records on Tipp CoCo and cant see it.

There's no accounting for what some people do with their time

There's no accounting for what some people do with their time

Not sure that statement makes any sense / you don't need to account for any of my time/ regardless, I can't find the planning for the erection the structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Not sure that statement makes any sense / you don't need to account for any of my time/ regardless, I can't find the planning for the erection the structure.

Is it required for such a structure? passed by it today and I would be surprise if it did.

Nitpicking for a gazebo and herb garden would be very bad form imo zurbfoundation.

I love seeing tidy towns little projects when passing places around Ireland. Gazebos, little boats filled with flowers, all sorts of nice containers or little wall/rock structures... I wish there were more.
    Fair play to them.

dieselbug wrote: »
    Is it required for such a structure? passed by it today and I would be surprise if it did.

You even need planning for a roadside sign so I'd be surprised if you didnt need it for this.

Not disputing how it looks or adds to the area/ just asking the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

You even need planning for a roadside sign so I'd be surprised if you didnt need it for this.

Not disputing how it looks or adds to the area/ just asking the question.

I really don't know for sure but it used to be the case that you could build a permanent structure without planning permission if it was within certain dimensions and I'm sure other conditions would also have to met.
    Looking at this one I don't it would be classed as a permanent structure which is probably a consideration.

dieselbug wrote: »
    I really don't know for sure but it used to be the case that you could build a permanent structure without planning permission if it was within certain dimensions and I'm sure other conditions would also have to met.
    Looking at this one I don't it would be classed as a permanent structure which is probably a consideration.
    I though it could have fallen under roadside shrines but the limit on size is 2 ft by 2ft plus there would still be an application

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know what’s going into the old Motorfactors in Irishtown? Seen plenty of work going on there the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

max forte bought it so its probably going to be a bingo hall or something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

snipey wrote: »
    max forte bought it so its probably going to be a bingo hall or something similar

Circles has been absolutely ruined now. Can't enjoy a game of 9 ball or 8 ball without listening to coins/machines making shít noise behind the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

callaway92 wrote: »
    Circles has been absolutely ruined now. Can't enjoy a game of 9 ball or 8 ball without listening to coins/machines making shít noise behind the walls.

As far as I know Max Forte doesn't have anything near Circles. His spot is up near the Piper Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

As far as I know Max Forte doesn't have anything near Circles. His spot is up near the Piper Inn

I was certain it was Max Forte that owns Circles. Is it someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

callaway92 wrote: »
    I was certain it was Max Forte that owns Circles. Is it someone else?

He might own it but I didn't think there was slots down near circles. Long time since I was near it so I could be totally wrong and if so, my apologies for misleading the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭All in all

Could anyway recommend someone to service a gas boiler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,486 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

All in all wrote: »
    Could anyway recommend someone to service a gas boiler?

This guy is a handy enough from what I've heard!
    hidden-hearing-heroes-international-sin-4-752x501.jpg

Advertisement