Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

All in all wrote: »
    Could anyway recommend someone to service a gas boiler?

This is the only one I'd really know of
    http://www.rgii.ie/home/premier-plumbing.6981.html

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

John Carney

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He might own it but I didn't think there was slots down near circles. Long time since I was near it so I could be totally wrong and if so, my apologies for misleading the op.

I'm always in there playing pool. There's a milion coin machines/automated roulette/blackjack games there.

It's grim to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

callaway92 wrote: »
    I'm always in there playing pool. There's a milion coin machines/automated roulette/blackjack games there.

It's grim to be honest

Oh dear, sounds horrendous. I didn't know that I thought they were only in the bingo hall near The Piper.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Pic up on FB of another poor horse flogged to death and abandoned on the road between Barne and Knocklofty today - sulky still in tow.

When are the relevant authorities going to blitz the halting sites and remove all these unregistered, maltreated animals? There is no excuse for letting this carnage continue!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

When are the relevant authorities going to blitz the halting sites and remove all these unregistered, maltreated animals? There is no excuse for letting this carnage continue!

I doubt this will ever happen, last time I seen AGS enter a halting site to remove illegal structures they had the armed response unit close-by in case it all kicked off, imagine the blowback if they went in to remove all these horses. Im told the value of a horse to a traveller is an awful lot more than they would normally be valued at by non traveller's, which begs the question as to why they treat some of the horses the way they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

Maybe some/most of them do treat their horses with the care they deserve and the only ones we hear about are the ones found dumped (another one today). Honestly I'm just guessing I have no idea.

In Dublin or Limerick (I can't remember which) there was an animal welfare project done with young men in a certain area where they took more responsibility for their horses. Most of them were travellers but some weren't. I saw it on TV a few years ago and seemed to be working ok. I don't think they were sulky racing horses though, is that more common in Tipperary/Kilkenny or does it happen all over Ireland?

Either way something has to be done and it has to be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tiegan

Maybe some/most of them do treat their horses with the care they deserve and the only ones we hear about are the ones found dumped (another one today). Honestly I'm just guessing I have no idea.

Sadly JulyJane the reverse is true. Yes, you were correct there was a project done in Dublin, but unfortunately their animal husbandry (or lack of it) remains part of their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I think a lot of travellers would be clever enough to engage with whatever short duration program for the sake of being left alone at the end. Whether they would genuinely change practices in the long term is less certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's bred into them to neglect animals and pretty much everything else.

They have no redeeming features, culturally, ethnically nothing, maybe one time they did, the older generations but not now, now its just toxic.

• Advertisement

It's bred into them to neglect animals and pretty much everything else.

They have no redeeming features, culturally, ethnically nothing, maybe one time they did, the older generations but not now, now its just toxic.

Put simply, no respect for man or beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

Every animal be it a horse, dog, cat or whatever should be DNA registered at birth. Jail anyone who doesn't register their animal. Jail anyone found in possession of an unregistered animal. Jail anyone who is the registered owner of a neglected animal. We won't reach double figures jailed before the message sinks in and people correct their behaviour.

This approach would work for most antisocial behaviour. Now that the liberal bleeding heart criminal liberties approach is increasingly seen as an utter failure hopefully we'll start to see a more sensible approach to combatting anti-social elements.

touts wrote: »
    Every animal be it a horse, dog, cat or whatever should be DNA registered at birth. Jail anyone who doesn't register their animal. Jail anyone found in possession of an unregistered animal. Jail anyone who is the registered owner of a neglected animal. We won't reach double figures jailed before the message sinks in and people correct their behaviour.

This approach would work for most antisocial behaviour. Now that the liberal bleeding heart criminal liberties approach is increasingly seen as an utter failure hopefully we'll start to see a more sensible approach to combatting anti-social elements.

Ah, but that would cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

dieselbug wrote: »
    Ah, but that would cost money.

Not really. Charge the owner for the DNA register (can't afford it? Well tell me again how you plan to afford to feed and look after the animal) and it won't dramatically increase the prison population as the best lesson is a few harsh examples. Even if it does increase the prison population just put them in 6 or 8 to a cell as most countries do. Sure the self appointed do gooders like the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties or other such apologists for the criminal classes will complain but they have no power anyway. Eventually we might lose a case in Europe but with appeals that'll take 10 or 15 years by which time the change back to a society that respects law and order will be irreversible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭julyjane

We can't jail people who have multiple convictions for assault, robbery etc. What are the chances of jail ever being a deterrent for animal cruelty?

It seems to be happening an awful lot in the Clonmel area, is it more prevalent here or is it happening all over the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Anyone know what’s going into the old Motorfactors in Irishtown? Seen plenty of work going on there the past few weeks.

Dance studio apparently

touts wrote: »
    Not really. Charge the owner for the DNA register (can't afford it? Well tell me again how you plan to afford to feed and look after the animal)

Taxayer will pay for the feed and welfare or at least subsidise it as they do now if my information is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So my wife needs her bicycle serviced and I'm wondering where she should get this done. The only place I know if in town is Worldwide cycles but is there anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So my wife needs her bicycle serviced and I'm wondering where she should get this done. The only place I know if in town is Worldwide cycles but is there anywhere else?

Ok Cycles in Peter Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Axa Insurance branch on Parnell St. is to close in November. I guess that's the way of big finance and insurance companies now - all online or on the phone

http://clonmelonline.com/2018/04/axa-branch-in-clonmel-to-close-in-november-cllr-richie-molloy/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Maymack

Anyone know whats opening up in the Post House Bar? They are renovating it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I heard a chemist from a well known chain - but don't know the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

Mulligans moving out of Market Place?

Maymack wrote: »
    Anyone know whats opening up in the Post House Bar? They are renovating it at the moment.

I remember when it was a bookshop !
    Never been inside the bar, or even the restaurant (wasn't it a restaurant before the bar ?). Basically never been inside since I guess :)

It's such a lovely building from the outside.

I remember when it was a bookshop !
    Never been inside the bar, or even the restaurant (wasn't it a restaurant before the bar ?). Basically never been inside since I guess :)

It's such a lovely building from the outside.

I got stamps when it was a post office..had grub in the restaurant...Drank pints in the bar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I got stamps when it was a post office..had grub in the restaurant...Drank pints in the bar:)
    You don't read books then Pakie ;)

tippspur wrote: »
    You don't read books then Pakie ;)

After the pints,I couldnt see them..ðŸ˜

Was it a post office at the same time as it was a bookshop ? I can't remember, but I'm nearly sure I must have used the post office, for stamps and call cards at the time.

I'll always regret the little Red Rose Café that was somewhere along there, they made the best breakfast to make up for the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'll always regret the little Red Rose Café that was somewhere along there, they made the best breakfast to make up for the night before.

Was that one or two doors down from Slattery's? Cracking little cafe.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was tiny. Maybe where Benetton used to be ? Although in my head it's nearer the post house.

Advertisement