Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Where is the sense in Mulcahys objecting. A pub that does a decent lunch carvery trade objecting to a take away sandwich joint? What's that about. When O'Gormans objected to Quigleys I didn't agree with that but saw at least it was a like for like and directly across the road. Mulcahys objecting to Subway is just mean spirited and unnecessary and all they did was delay the inevitable. They will have no luck for it

Is it really a surprise? They're notorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Hi,
    Could anyone tell me if it's possible to walk from Clonmel to Kilsheelan via the Suir?
    I've read various comments about people doing this but no specifics, Would anyone know the starting point in Clonmel to get down onto the path, and ultimately whereabouts in Kilsheelan you'd end up?
    Thanks

I walked it back in February when it was raining a lot. From memory, I think it was about 9km and maybe 1hr 40 each way. It's a nice walk but I found the walk back a bit of a drag. Next time, a friend is going to park in Kilsheelan and then we can drive back to Clonmel.
    At that time at least, in Kilsheelan the hard path ended at the start of the village and walking on grass for the last 200/300 meters was necessary. The recent dry weather will help as I had a hard time getting around puddles and mud to get right down to the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I walked it back in February when it was raining a lot. From memory, I think it was about 9km and maybe 1hr 40 each way. It's a nice walk but I found the walk back a bit of a drag. Next time, a friend is going to park in Kilsheelan and then we can drive back to Clonmel.
    At that time at least, in Kilsheelan the hard path ended at the start of the village and walking on grass for the last 200/300 meters was necessary. The recent dry weather will help as I had a hard time getting around puddles and mud to get right down to the bridge.

its all tarmac / concrete now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭klose

Absolutely harrowing video doing the rounds on Facebook of a poor pony on the ground from exhaustion being hassled by, well I'll give any of ye one guess who is hassling the poor creature. Boils my fcuking blood! Clonmel must be one of the worst places in Ireland for horse mistreatment? Not a month by goes by without seeing something online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Saw it last night.
    Absolute barbarity.

But wait for the defence - "I was walking up the road and came across the poor horse in trouble and I thought I would try to lift him up by the tail to try and get him to his feet. Sure I love horses and they are part of our culture".

Culture my arse !!

If the Gardaí can't prosecute them for this, hopefully they will prosecute them for criminal damage to the ladies car and common assault by the neanthardal that is threatening her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Just saw the video myself now. That's just horrible. Absolute disgrace.
    Scum of the earth. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Removing that halting site would resolve a hell of a lot of the problems in town. There’s not one of them not known to the Gardai and indeed the armed response unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

F34 wrote: »
    Removing that halting site would resolve a hell of a lot of the problems in town. There’s not one of them not known to the Gardai and indeed the armed response unit.

For travelers they do very little traveling !! Can’t see them being moved on anytime soon, they are a disgrace and the politicians/ guards who let them get away with it are due a lot of blame !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

There is only so much the Gardai can do. It's the lack of proper sentencing from the Judiciary that's the real problem.

The council also hold a massive amount of the blame by not enforcing the terms and conditions they have to adhere to having had dealing with the Council "it's my Culture" wouldn't wash for anyone else. The site on the bypass has sewage running onto the public footpath which nothing is being done about it as well as the rubbish they dump around he area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

I went to vote this morning in Peter and Paul's primary school as usual.
    There are no booth numbers on the polling card.
    I knew where to go because I've been there so often. Newer voters will not.

A bit of a cock up methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

I just saw the video on TV3 news @5:30...Sickened totally sickened by those continuing to abuse poor animals. It makes my blood boil too. They keep getting away with it.

Any support for a public protest? Not sure how to go about it, what do others think. I’m disappointed with myself for not being more proactive but don’t know what to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Pony cruelty arrest
    http://tippfm.com/news/one-man-arrested-connection-clonmel-cruelty-incident/

But it says "The pony collapsed and was then punched and kicked repeatedly while another youth threw rocks at the animal." Not excusing those scum but don't see that. Did it happen after the video ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭touts

F34 wrote: »
    There is only so much the Gardai can do. It's the lack of proper sentencing from the Judiciary that's the real problem.

The council also hold a massive amount of the blame by not enforcing the terms and conditions they have to adhere to having had dealing with the Council "it's my Culture" wouldn't wash for anyone else. The site on the bypass has sewage running onto the public footpath which nothing is being done about it as well as the rubbish they dump around he area.

Clonmel is a great town but it's ruined by a handful of un-reformable thugs who are on virtual first name terms with the people who are supposedly entrusted with keeping the town safe from them. Until judges and barristers get a flat rate salary with no expenses and other by the case perks then this won't be solved. As long as they are financially rewarded for seeing the same repeat offenders case after case, week after week, year after year how can we be surprised when they don't jail them. And the likes of Pavee Point and the Irish Council for Criminal Liberties should be made restructure their boards to have 51% made up of the victims of crime. Then we'd have very different definitions of "culture" and "civil liberties".

It doesn't really matter what decent people think, the whole attitude of law enforcement in Clonmel as far as I can see (and hear from relations who see it at close hand) is that the thugs have won.
    Why wouldn't they think that, with what they can get away with?
    An illegal halting site that has now been concreted and finished off at taxpayer's expense at the top of the bypass.
    Raw sewage running down onto the road on another illegal addition to a halting site at the other end of the town.
    Drugs been openly sold at a third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭pooch90

cml387 wrote: »

It was the same at my station. I just went to the first booth and they directed me to the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

cml387 wrote: »

I got two polling cards and was listed two times so could probably have voted two times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

dieselbug wrote:
    I got two polling cards and was listed two times so could probably have voted two times.

Your name would be crossed off after voting first time :-)

Your name would be crossed off after voting first time :-)

Not so sure, named two times with two different numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

dieselbug wrote: »
    Not so sure, named two times with two different numbers.

Voting more than once is a criminal offence, best to stick to the once. You would probably have been caught even if the opportunity to offend was not of your making, knowingly voting twice would see you get a significant fine at best.

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    Voting more than once is a criminal offence, best to stick to the once. You would probably have been caught even if the opportunity to offend was not of your making, knowingly voting twice would see you get a significant fine at best.

I'm aware of the consequences of attempting to vote twice and would never be tempted to do so. I handed in the second card at the polling station and was left with the impression that I was not the only one.

I heard Mattie complaining during the last week that the register is a mess and it looks like he may have a point.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of the consequences of attempting to vote twice and would never be tempted to do so. I handed in the second card at the polling station and was left with the impression that I was not the only one.

I heard Mattie complaining during the last week that the register is a mess and it looks like he may have a point.

It is a mess, there were a few with two cards at the booth I voted at. Did they take your details and fill in a form? Its for anomalies to the register.

It is a mess, there were a few with two cards at the booth I voted at. Did they take your details and fill in a form? Its for anomalies to the register.

No they didn't, but they would know me anyway so may have noted it for some sort of correction later but nothing made of it to me on the day.

No they didn't, but they would know me anyway so may have noted it for some sort of correction later but nothing made of it to me on the day.

knowing you wouldn't be enough. They have to list it, including the number on a form and your mobile number for the co co person to confirm with you, i'm assuming. I would suggest you leave it for a few months and then contact the co co to correct otherwise you'll get two next time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I filled in a change of address form before the last general election, and still got two polling cards this time. I don’t remember getting two last time, but I probably did. Said it g the lady at the polling station, but she told me to ring them. It’s a bit mental that when they’d put me on a new register that no one would have had the cop to cross out my name elsewhere.

Where exactly did the incident with the horse happen? Is it the Heywood road that you turn up from queen street into? Have those thugs been in court yet?

Where exactly did the incident with the horse happen? Is it the Heywood road that you turn up from queen street into? Have those thugs been in court yet?
    Between the bypass and Boston Scientific/Abbott, just coming up to the halting site.

Between the bypass and Boston Scientific/Abbott, just coming up to the halting site.
    Thanks. I see it now on google maps. I did not realise it was still Heywood Road up further after crossing the bypass. That is an awful hill for a poor little horse, no wonder he collapsed. Going up and down there regularly I expect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Thanks. I see it now on google maps. I did not realise it was still Heywood Road up further after crossing the bypass. That is an awful hill for a poor little horse, no wonder he collapsed. Going up and down there regularly I expect
    it was a very warm day too which I expect didn't help. I saw Pat from Deise Animal sanctuary visited the horse that evening, he was alive and fine according to her. It made me wonder why they were allowed to keep him ?? Disgraceful, I get angry everytime I see a sulky on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

solerina wrote: »
    it was a very warm day too which I expect didn't help. I saw Pat from Deise Animal sanctuary visited the horse that evening, he was alive and fine according to her. It made me wonder why they were allowed to keep him ?? Disgraceful, I get angry everytime I see a sulky on the road.

What? they were allowed to keep the horse? Surely if you are caught mistreating the horse it should be impounded. And they should be banned from owning an animal for life! This whole ethnic minority “it’s their culture” crap needs to stop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 barbie1

Exactly! Free to go out and do it all again...and again. Have we not heard already about awful cruelty to horses when they were found starved to death outside Clonmel in a field???? We’re those responsible punished then?? They should at least be prosecuted, if it was you or me we would be... also I often see children on them, the same age that if I didn’t have buckled in safely in my car Id be prosecuted Is ther not a law against sulky use on the road?

Advertisement