Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

tiegan wrote: »
    Ideas please, which is Clonmel's busiest petrol station? Does anyone have a preference for type of diesel used? I need to change my supplier as my injectors are giving me constant trouble due to contaminated fuel. I was advised to look for a busy filling station as the fule is supposed to be fresher there. All advice appreciated.

I've never had any problems with the circle k (formally topaz) on the Waterford road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭cml387

Mostly tesco's. I've had a diesel car for six years and never had a problem.
    I stick to Tesco's or Amber (in Fermoy).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've been using Jones oil on Thomas St. For the last 2 years, cheapest in town and also pretty busy too so they'd have fresh stuff all the time. A small drop of dieptaine every few fills isn't a bad idea for a diesel engine nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

are you doing a lot of short spins or low speed driving in your diesel car? that happened me before I had a build up of dirt but my husband took out the EGR valve and cleaned it (some kind of an additive in the fuel might do the same job). he told me to go up the motorway and drive as fast as was safe and legal to do and that would heat up the engine enough to clear it out. sure enough it emitted an awful cloud of black smoke and suddenly I had power again

julyjane wrote: »
    are you doing a lot of short spins or low speed driving in your diesel car? that happened me before I had a build up of dirt but my husband took out the EGR valve and cleaned it (some kind of an additive in the fuel might do the same job). he told me to go up the motorway and drive as fast as was safe and legal to do and that would heat up the engine enough to clear it out. sure enough it emitted an awful cloud of black smoke and suddenly I had power again

You would need to be driving a lot of miles to own a diesel car..If you only do short journeys every day,the valve wont clean....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tiegan

dieselbug wrote: »
    "Due to contaminated fuel" How was it established that the fuel is contaminated, was there a sample tested.

Yes it was tested, and I have the offending sample in a jam jar!!

Thanks for replies, I have a landcruiser, used daily, short and long journeys and towing. Had four new injectors a month ago, new fuel filter, tank dropped and cleaned out. A month later I am in trouble again and took samples from the fuel pump. Defo contaminated. But I get all of your points about short journeys and low speed driving. I wish it was as simple as that!! I am cleaning out the tank again this week, another new filter, and have a jerrycan of diesel from circle K on the Waterford road to top up with. Cork engine centre told me steer clear of Tesco and Apple Green.

Thanks for replies, I have a landcruiser, used daily, short and long journeys and towing. Had four new injectors a month ago, new fuel filter, tank dropped and cleaned out. A month later I am in trouble again and took samples from the fuel pump. Defo contaminated. But I get all of your points about short journeys and low speed driving. I wish it was as simple as that!! I am cleaning out the tank again this week, another new filter, and have a jerrycan of diesel from circle K on the Waterford road to top up with. Cork engine centre told me steer clear of Tesco and Apple Green.

Like I say, been using tesco for five years with no problems.

cml387 wrote: »
    Like I say, been using tesco for five years with no problems.

Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Yes it was tested, and I have the offending sample in a jam jar!!

Can you say what the offending contamination was please, ie what were the results of the test?
    What was the contamination?

• Advertisement

Can you say what the offending contamination was please, ie what were the results of the test?
    What was the contamination?
    There were water droplets, and also some orangey brown blobs that looked oily. Any ideas?

There were water droplets, and also some orangey brown blobs that looked oily. Any ideas?

To be honest that doesn't sound like a scientific analysis.

What you describe sounds like water contamination, the orangy substance could be rust. But when you say it was tested was a sample actually sent to a lab to be examined or just a visual test by your garage.

Do you always get you fuel in the same place.

What you describe sounds like water contamination, the orangy substance could be rust. But when you say it was tested was a sample actually sent to a lab to be examined or just a visual test by your garage.

Do you always get you fuel in the same place.

No, it was not sent to a lab. It was taken from the fuel pump in my prescence by Cork Engine Centre. We took two samples, the first contained the water droplets which is why they then took a second sample to double check. Water drops and the browny orange oily looking blobs.

And yes, I do get my diesel from the same place. Not Clonmel. But I was advised to get my diesel from the busiest station I could find as the diesel would be freshest there.

I appreciate everyones input, but have had replaced my injectors now twice in the last two years, so I need to change something. My diesel source had to be the obvious first step.

No, it was not sent to a lab. It was taken from the fuel pump in my prescence by Cork Engine Centre. We took two samples, the first contained the water droplets which is why they then took a second sample to double check. Water drops and the browny orange oily looking blobs.

And yes, I do get my diesel from the same place. Not Clonmel. But I was advised to get my diesel from the busiest station I could find as the diesel would be freshest there.

I appreciate everyones input, but have had replaced my injectors now twice in the last two years, so I need to change something. My diesel source had to be the obvious first step.

It's not really a question of diesel freshness just clean fuel. The different fuel suppliers, brands often put additives in the fuel to enhance their fuel or improve its quality. Some of it for marketing purposes. The cheaper fuels maybe not so much but that's just me guessing.

The water contamination is coming from somewhere and unless you have a bad fuel cap or a break somewhere or are filling from drums the source of your fuel would be the main suspect so yes I would change my source if I were you.

Also a good quality fuel filter is money well spent.

It's not really a question of diesel freshness just clean fuel. The different fuel suppliers, brands often put additives in the fuel to enhance their fuel or improve its quality. Some of it for marketing purposes. The cheaper fuels maybe not so much but that's just me guessing.

The water contamination is coming from somewhere and unless you have a bad fuel cap or a break somewhere or are filling from drums the source of your fuel would be the main suspect so yes I would change my source if I were you.

Also a good quality fuel filter is money well spent.

Thanks Dieselbug for your input. Yes I use a good quality fuel filter, only had a new one in a month ago. Will stick with my new diesel supplier for now and see how I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Ideas please, which is Clonmel's busiest petrol station? Does anyone have a preference for type of diesel used? I need to change my supplier as my injectors are giving me constant trouble due to contaminated fuel. I was advised to look for a busy filling station as the fule is supposed to be fresher there. All advice appreciated.

I was told after changing my injectors to steer clear of applegreen and amber as their fuel is hard on injectors. Also know of a friend who only ever useed tesco and they ended up having to change out part of rhe fuel system due to contamination.

I stick mostly to topaz now

• Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be honest I've heard complaints about most petrol stations from time to time.

Anybody know what happened with the development of the old Post Office?

I believe it was supposed to be another chemist, but all work has stopped it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Anything got to do with Diesel, this Cashel based company is one of the best in the country.

http://www.dieselinjectionservices.ie/

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

cml387 wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened with the development of the old Post Office?

I believe it was supposed to be another chemist, but all work has stopped it seems.

I believe Mulligans are going in there - going to close the O'Connell Street and Market Place chemists and combine them in the Old Post Office.

I see Ambers planned expansion got knocked on the head. http://tippfm.com/news/business/plans-major-revamp-clonmel-filling-station-shot/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

That's a shame. There is a Texaco or some such across the road offering food, shopping and previously an ATM and access didn't seem to be a problem. I think it would be a great benefit to the community and clean up the eyesore that is there now. I hope they appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

the one across the road is worse because there are often HGVs parked on the amber side of the road and their drivers walking across and back. there's little or no seating there yet drivers are legally required to take adequate breaks. Any time I've used the toilets in amber they were spotless and they have lots of space, this seems like a ridiculous decision but then I haven't seen the plans nor am I an engineer. maybe they'll submit revised plans or appeal it.

julyjane wrote: »
    the one across the road is worse because there are often HGVs parked on the amber side of the road and their drivers walking across and back. there's little or no seating there yet drivers are legally required to take adequate breaks. Any time I've used the toilets in amber they were spotless and they have lots of space, this seems like a ridiculous decision but then I haven't seen the plans nor am I an engineer. maybe they'll submit revised plans or appeal it.

The one across the road wanted to expand too..but met too much red tape as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The one across the road wanted to expand too..but met too much red tape as well..
    Was that extension turned down as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

I had trouble a few years ago and the mechanic who fixed it blamed Applegreen: haven't used them since, haven't had a problem since.

tippspur wrote: »
    Was that extension turned down as well?

All plans they put forward,were knocked left,right and centre,was how a poster put it on Facebook last night..

If you are bored some day, and are interested in local history, it's worthwhile having a look at the Tipperary Co Co planning files.

You can search E-plan for planning permissions going back to the 1960's, and you can even read the documentation supplied at the time.

Putting Gladstone street into the search, and after a bit of a root around, you will find about 250 scanned documents relating to the tale of the Ormond Hotel, the approval for its demolition, the legal arguments over car park access and much more. Tales of long lost businesses and even scanned pages of newspapers of the period where the planning permission was posted.

It's a great archive for the historian and kudos to the corporation for having saved the documents (originally on microfilm I believe) and now available for all to see. I know my own home county Westmeath seems to have lost the documents before 1989.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

If you are bored some day, and are interested in local history, it's worthwhile having a look at the Tipperary Co Co planning files.

You can search E-plan for planning permissions going back to the 1960's, and you can even read the documentation supplied at the time.

Putting Gladstone street into the search, and after a bit of a root around, you will find about 250 scanned documents relating to the tale of the Ormond Hotel, the approval for its demolition, the legal arguments over car park access and much more. Tales of long lost businesses and even scanned pages of newspapers of the period where the planning permission was posted.

It's a great archive for the historian and kudos to the corporation for having saved the documents (originally on microfilm I believe) and now available for all to see. I know my own home county Westmeath seems to have lost the documents before 1989.

I don't find the search great though. The Post House is being changed to a pharmacy from pub. Would that not require change of use planning? i cannot find it.

Advertisement